Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

TireRack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Best site for buying tires in Europe

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

Wheel offset calculator courtesy of BimmerPost.com. You may use this calculator to calculate what tire sizes you might need if you upgrade your tires, or what wheel sizes/offsets are compatible with your car.
    Current Wheel Width  inches             Current Wheel Offset  mm.
         New Wheel Width  inches                  New Wheel Offset  mm.

TIRE WIDTH
/
ASPECT RATIO
- WHEEL DIAMETER
ORIGINAL TIRES
/
NEW TIRES
/
Based on your stock wheel setup, your new wheel will have:
Original Tires Diameter (in.)
      New Tires Diameter (in.)
  Difference in diameter (in.)
           Percent Difference %

Speedo @60mph will read: mph
Collapse/Expand the BimmerPost Wheel and Tire calculator

12-04-2011, 10:17 AM   #1
roundle
EXPAT

Drives: 2011 328iT (US-Spec, 6MT, ZSP)

Best site for buying tires in Europe

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm looking for a www.tirerack.com equivalent. Obviously, EU-based sites are preferred as they will prevent Customs issues.
roundle is offline   Netherlands
      12-04-2011, 10:21 AM   #2
gizmo335i
Colonel

Drives: 08 JB E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [4.74]
I assume you're military? I'm asking cause I was stationed there recently...probably close to where you live.....and had a lot of stuff shipped there....and bought there...
      12-04-2011, 10:25 AM   #3
roundle
EXPAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo335i View Post
I assume you're military? I'm asking cause I was stationed there recently...probably close to where you live.....and had a lot of stuff shipped there....and bought there...
No, I'm private sector. Wife's working for an international organization (hence the US-Spec E91).

Unlike the military, we don't have a lot of benefits with shipping and customs...
      12-04-2011, 10:29 AM   #4
gizmo335i
Colonel

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [4.74]
Yeah, I realized after I posted that you mentioned the customs part.

Have you checked ATU? I'd say they're the directtire equivalent over there....at least I think they're in the Netherlands. Where do you live if you don't mind me asking? I lived right next to Koningbosch/Sittard....

Or get to know a military person over there and get them to order for you, lol....I know some stationed in Volkel...
      12-04-2011, 10:39 AM   #5
roundle
EXPAT

Quote:
Yeah, I realized after I posted that you mentioned the customs part.

Have you checked ATU? I'd say they're the directtire equivalent over there....at least I think they're in the Netherlands. Where do you live if you don't mind me asking? I lived right next to Koningbosch/Sittard....

Or get to know a military person over there and get them to order for you, lol....I know some stationed in Volkel...
I'm in The Hague (Netherlands). I do not mind ordering from Germany or even the UK (shipping's cheap). I'll have my local BMW dealer install and align the car.
      12-04-2011, 10:42 AM   #6
gizmo335i
Colonel

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [4.74]
http://www.atu.de/pages/shop/home.html

Guess you could try atu.nl too.

I know exactly where you are. I was at Geilenkirchen and I drove guys out there to do some testing.....don't want to say too much on here. And I worked with some other comm guys there setting up some stuff...

I was just thinking today how much I miss that area....
      12-04-2011, 10:59 AM   #7
CamelBiscuit
Banned

Drives: 11 E92 335i

Garage List
2011 E92 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
http://www.atu.de/pages/shop/home.html

Guess you could try atu.nl too.

I know exactly where you are. I was at Geilenkirchen and I drove guys out there to do some testing.....don't want to say too much on here. And I worked with some other comm guys there setting up some stuff...

I was just thinking today how much I miss that area....
I won't miss all the camera's around here that give me tickets in the mail all the time! But I will miss not hearing gunshots everyday and not having my car broken into all the time.
CamelBiscuit is offline   United_States
      12-04-2011, 11:03 AM   #8
roundle
EXPAT

Wow, ATU is much cheaper than the other places that I've found. www.bandenexpress.nl is the most popular site in NL. It's easily 35% more expensive than ATU.

Many thanks!

Now I need to decide between the folllowing:

Michelin Pilot Sport 3 (225/45/17 FR 245/40/17 Rear)

or

Michelin Pilot PS2 (225/45/17 FR 255/40/17 Rear)

PS2's been around for a while and I know it'll work well through the entire life of the tire. Sport 3's too new to know for sure how it'll age...
      12-04-2011, 11:14 AM   #9
gizmo335i
Colonel

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [4.74]
Cool...glad to hear that. Remember, things like this are usually cheaper in Germany...may be worth the trip to just drive out and get it all done at ATU in Germany.

Another option is ebay over there. I worked for a Danish Colonel there and he was big on buying everything on there cheaper. And he really knew what he was doing.

CCS, where do you live? And for that matter, where did you live, lol. That is something that I liked over there....being much more safe....but there were still a shitload of breakins though....
      12-04-2011, 04:43 PM   #10
CamelBiscuit
Banned

Drives: 11 E92 335i

Garage List
2011 E92 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Cool...glad to hear that. Remember, things like this are usually cheaper in Germany...may be worth the trip to just drive out and get it all done at ATU in Germany.

Another option is ebay over there. I worked for a Danish Colonel there and he was big on buying everything on there cheaper. And he really knew what he was doing.

CCS, where do you live? And for that matter, where did you live, lol. That is something that I liked over there....being much more safe....but there were still a shitload of breakins though....
Spang. I think the only crime I have seen over here is the 42 percent they charge the Germans on their taxes and 19 percent on purchase tax.
CamelBiscuit is offline   United_States
      12-04-2011, 05:02 PM   #11
gizmo335i
Colonel

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [4.74]
lol...yep. I spent a lot of time at Spang.....
      12-05-2011, 02:28 AM   #12
JS82
Captain

Drives: '08 E92 328i 6MT Jet Black

Have you checked www.reifendirekt.com?
ATU in Germany is more like Pepboys in the U.S.
JS82 is offline   Germany
      12-06-2011, 08:06 AM   #13
roundle
EXPAT

Ended up ordering the following from ATU:

Michelin Primacy HP: 225/45/17 91W [MO] (front) and 255/40/17 94W [MO] (rear)

Total price for tires, mounting, balance, etc will be Euro 770.

I should have them installed next Friday.

Rationale for the Primacy HP: I wanted to avoid run-flats. Also, as we don't have "all seasons" here in Europe, options are limited; these tires are the cloest thing that I could find to a high-performance all season that have (a) excellent user ratings and (b) decent tread wear (240), and (c) good performance through the life of the tire (not just the first 10K miles!).

Will provide an update soon. If it only snows once this winter, I may regret not buying the Pilot PS2...
      12-17-2011, 06:43 AM   #14
roundle
EXPAT

Had the tires installed by ATU (in Amsterdam Zuid-oost) on Friday. While they managed to scratch a rim, overall, a good experience. They were cool about the scratch. They offered to repair it. Instead, I told them to just give me a discount of 150 Euros. Total price for four tires, installation, and alignment: 750 Euros.

Quick word about the OEM Bridgestone’s:

My OEM Bridgestone RE050AII's had 29,500 miles. Not bad. The front's had loads of tread left, but they were cupped to hell. The rears on the other hand were beyond "done". I didn't realize it, but the steel belt was starting to show in the center of the tires (oops). The centers of the rears wore very quickly due to the high PSI I preferred (for high speed autobahn trips, it was required). Overall, considering the wear rating of 140, the OEM Bridgestone’s served me well. Turn-in was great and they were super stable in the dry and in the rain. The only major pitfall was the "cupping" and awful noise they made after 20K miles.

Quick word on the new Michelin Primacy HP (W-rated):

First thing I noticed was that turn-in was not as lighting-sharp. However, it's still very good and feels more like the BMWs I've owned in the past. While turn-it’s not quite the same, feedback is much improved; I now feel like I can tell what kind of surfaces that I am driving on. Tramlining is gone (possibly due to the alignment being brought back in-spec). There also feels like there's less "rolling resistance" (MPG updates to follow). As for harshness, these tires are still quite firm which pleases me. Overall, I'm pleased with the tire. That said, as it's only been 70 miles, it's too early to draw any major conclusions.

Also, lesson learned:

Next time I buy a new car, I'll have a full alignment done at about 10K miles: I'm convinced that after 10K miles, the suspension settles a bit and needs to be brought back in spec. Also, with the new tires, I'll be having the wheels balanced at every oil change (10K miles) in order to try to avoid "cupping"--there's nothing worse than loud tires!
      10-20-2012, 04:45 AM   #15
roundle
EXPAT

I'm about 15K miles in to these tires. They are still very quiet and smooth. As most of my driving is highway, it's a good tire for me. They are still pretty "sporty"; as you would expect from a W-rated tire, they're still firm and grippy.

While there's some wear, I expect these to go at least 35K miles.

Only major problem is that there's a bit more "bounce" in the ride at high-speeds. I think that the LCI E9X's suspension was modified to include a bit more compliance to mirror the "give" that a non-RFT would normally offer. When you couple the "give" of the NON-RFT with the LCI's softer (i.e. RFT-Optimized) suspension, I think it's almost a bit too soft. That said, this could be due to the fact that I'm on a high performing "touring" tire rather than a true max performance tire (e.g. Pilot PS2).

If they continue to perform to 35-40K, I will buy again. If not, I will try a non-RFT with a bit more edge (ContiSport3 or PS3).

Last edited by roundle; 10-21-2012 at 03:07 AM.
      12-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #16
roundle
EXPAT

Tire's now have about 20K. They are now a bit "cupped" and making noise. I am slightly annoyed. Aside from noise, all is well. I expect to get 30K miles out of these tires...
      06-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #17
roundle
EXPAT

Quick update re the Michelin Primacy HP non RFT:

After 27K miles, these babies are cooked. The rears are past the wear bars while the fronts are cupped-to-hell.

Conclusion: Expensive "Summer Touring" tires suck. Not only was performance inhibited, but these babies did not last any longer than OEM Summer-only RFTs! Fail!

Last edited by roundle; 06-07-2013 at 02:32 PM.