E90Post

GT Haus

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > braking causing hazards to come on.

11-13-2014, 05:52 PM   #1
Jules59
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91

braking causing hazards to come on.

What are the variables that cause hazard lights to activate when braking ?
Today I braked hard to a near standstill without the ABS activating and was surprised to see the hazard lights come on - as was the car following me. I have Brembo H2000 pads, slotted disks and standard calipers on my 330D.
      11-13-2014, 06:27 PM   #2
afalton
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw e92 330i m sport

Isn't when you really stamp on the brake the hazards come on?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 07:34 PM   #3
themanthatcan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i MSport

It happens when the car senses an emergency stop being performed; probably activated by a G force sensor somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 07:54 PM   #4
Jase 320d
Wheelbarrow Edition
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Arctic 320d

Health and safety nonsense
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 03:32 AM   #5
themanthatcan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase 320d View Post
Health and safety nonsense
Eh? It's got nothing to do with H&S buddy, it's a way to let other people know that you've stopped quickly. That way drivers behind you are aware there is a potential problem ahead.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 04:03 PM   #6
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Braking suddenly is a hazard...hence the hazard warning i suppose!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 04:26 PM   #7
Jase 320d
Wheelbarrow Edition
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Arctic 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by themanthatcan View Post
Eh? It's got nothing to do with H&S buddy, it's a way to let other people know that you've stopped quickly. That way drivers behind you are aware there is a potential problem ahead.
Old cars didnt have it

Just another bubble wrapped safety gadget.

Wheres the fun on a track day / b road blast with your hazards going off on every bend
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 05:23 PM   #8
Dan-danGT
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M-Sport

The reason for it is a university did an experiment they found people respond/ notice flashing lights faster than constant lights.

Generally it's done through you brake pedal, how hard you pressed the pedal and how fast you changed from throttle to brake. Also the yaw sensor will show a rapid Deceleration which will also trigger it. Abs activation probably would not cause it as you could brake lightly over a man hole and skid slightly
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2014, 03:58 AM   #9
Jules59
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I was braking very hard I suppose - deliberately I might add. The car behind was a long way off but it took me a few seconds to realise the hazards were flashing as my initial reaction was "whats gone wrong with the car now". The car behind then pulled out to pass me at the lights where we had stopped, thinking Id broken down and was irritated when I turned the hazards off and just drove off on the green light.

Maybe if I hadnt actually stopped at the end of the braking the hazards would not have activated.

Does anyone know the actual programmed conditions necessary for the hazards to activate like this ? ie G force etc, braking to a halt maybe ?
      11-15-2014, 05:33 AM   #10
themanthatcan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase 320d View Post
Old cars didnt have it

Just another bubble wrapped safety gadget.

Wheres the fun on a track day / b road blast with your hazards going off on every bend
Sorry bud but what a ridiculous attitude to have towards road safety; if old cars didn't have it then new cars shouldn't? lol! Old cars didn't have seat belts..does that mean we should scrap them? How about airbags?!

Where is the harm in using technology to add a feature which help drivers know there is hard braking and a potential hazard ahead? At night when it's more difficult to judge how far in front vehicles are it could easily be a lifesaver.

If you don't like it and have a specific reason to want it disabled then get it coded so it doesn't happen on your car, but I think you'll find yourself in the minority when it comes to people having issues with these safety features as most of us are happy to accept manufacturers doing what they can to help reduce accidents and fatalities on our roads.
      11-16-2014, 08:57 AM   #11
Ao1
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 MSport Coupe

^ I agree. This is a really useful feature.

If a car in front is breaking really hard it takes a couple of valuable seconds to gauge how fast it is decelerating before you know how hard to break in response.

Take the mway as an example. A lot of the time people touch their breaks but are not intending to slow down significantly or even be breaking. If I am driving behind a car and its break lights come on I will immediately touch the breaks and then try to gauge how fast the car in front is decelerating before deciding how hard to break. No doubt the car behind me does the same and it then daisy chains until traffic comes to a stop for no reason.
I would like to see different colours on break lights that give a better indication of breaking force and how fast the car is decelerating. This would be better than hazard lights, but anything is better than nothing.

Amber> mild deceleration
Red> hard deceleration
Hazard lights > emergency deceleration
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 09:29 AM   #12
Precision Engineered
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ao1 View Post
^ I agree. This is a really useful feature.

If a car in front is breaking really hard it takes a couple of valuable seconds to gauge how fast it is decelerating before you know how hard to break in response.

Take the mway as an example. A lot of the time people touch their breaks but are not intending to slow down significantly or even be breaking. If I am driving behind a car and its break lights come on I will immediately touch the breaks and then try to gauge how fast the car in front is decelerating before deciding how hard to break. No doubt the car behind me does the same and it then daisy chains until traffic comes to a stop for no reason.
I would like to see different colours on break lights that give a better indication of breaking force and how fast the car is decelerating. This would be better than hazard lights, but anything is better than nothing.

Amber> mild deceleration
Red> hard deceleration
Hazard lights > emergency deceleration
Suspect that could possibly cause confusion due to amber generally being turning indicators

What about a system similar to a GFX eq on a hifi?

example:

light breaking - 1 bar
hard breaking - 2 bars
emergency stop - 3 bars with hazard

only thoughts
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 09:36 AM   #13
zltm089
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [5.00]
I've had to brake hard a few times, but never had the hazards come on.

On the TTS, it happened once, but it was very under very hard braking.

You must have been braking quite hard, as "normal" emergency braking would not make the hazards come on. Like when you practise emergency stops as a learner.

Current Car: E92 335i SE Dream Cars: AMG SL65 Black,GallardoSuperleggera, GTR 2012, Agera R, F430 Scuderia, DBS, EVO X FQ400, Lexus LFA, F10 M5, M4, GT3 RS4.0, Ferrari 458, Ferrari F12, R8 V10 plus, Jaguar F Type V8, Lamborghini LP700-4 Aventador, Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, C63 AMG Coupe Black, Vanquish 2012, Laferrari, GT3 991, McLaren 650s.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 09:40 AM   #14
Ao1
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 MSport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precision Engineered View Post
Suspect that could possibly cause confusion due to amber generally being turning indicators

example:

light breaking - 1 bar
hard breaking - 2 bars

only thoughts
That is a much better idea than mine.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 06:48 PM   #15
Jules59
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precision Engineered View Post

example:

light breaking - 1 bar
hard breaking - 2 bars

only thoughts
Im sure there was something like this shown on "Tomorrow's World" - for those who can remember Raymond Baxter etc
      11-16-2014, 06:53 PM   #16
Jules59
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
I've had to brake hard a few times, but never had the hazards come on.

On the TTS, it happened once, but it was very under very hard braking.

You must have been braking quite hard, as "normal" emergency braking would not make the hazards come on. Like when you practise emergency stops as a learner.

It wasnt a foot to the floor job - the ABS didnt activate - which usually does when you slam on the brakes. But I guess in a good grip situation it wouldnt.

Ill have to try repeat it when its safe to do so and see if it happens again.