E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Manual VS Auto



View Poll Results: Manual or Automatic?
Manual Transmission 89 78.76%
Automatic Transmission 24 21.24%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-07-2011, 05:28 PM   #1
The Stig's U.S. Cousin
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: '08 328i e92
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kennesaw, GA

Posts: 48
iTrader: (0)

Manual VS Auto

I'm planning on getting a 2007 BMW 328i coupe. I have heard that if i don't get it in manual i will be losing a lot of power and that's not what i want. I would love to get the manual, but my parents don't agree. My parents have only come up with three reasons
1.) The insurance is more expensive.
2.) It's a distraction.
3.) There is a smaller market for them therefore its harder to sell.
If you have any thoughts i would love to hear them, so i can hopefully put together a decent argument, and get my manual. Also if you are a parent yourself, would you rather have your kid driving a manual or auto?
The Stig's U.S. Cousin is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2011, 05:48 PM   #2
doubleIN
atlien
 
doubleIN's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 e90 335i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: atlanta

Posts: 371
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [4.25]
1. Not sure on insurance being more expensive.

2. I would disagree to some extent. When you drive manual you have to be more focused, less likely to be messing around with the radio, idrive, etc because you will be more engaged. Just develop good habits of keeping both hands on the wheel as much as possible and dont drive around with your hand always on the shifter

3. there is a smaller market for manual cars as it seems like the majority of people in the US can't drive it. however it goes both ways because people who only want to buy a manual car will likely expand their search geographically to find the car they're looking for. so I would say this one leans slightly towards being harder to sell, but not much more

one thing to consider is that you will have a risk of money shift and destroying your transmission, but if you're already comfortable driving manual transmission then go for it. 328 has less power than 335 so you will probably be driving at higher revs to get more power and driving at high revs plus making a mistake in shifting ends up as a disaster

I think it's good for young drivers to have a manual car. If you never have a manual you'll probably never learn to drive one, and then later when you're older and you want to buy that porsche you'll be stuck getting an automatic. I think learning to drive a manual just makes you a better driver all around because as I said above, you are more engaged in the act of driving. you're paying attention to the sound and feel of your car to know when to shift and you're planning ahead like seeing a curve and downshifting. i say go for it
doubleIN is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2011, 05:49 PM   #3
M3Duo
Private
 
M3Duo's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 911 tt
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC

Posts: 57
iTrader: (0)

It all depends on you, you will be the one driving the car not your parents. I think auto insurance companies for most part dont consider MT vs Auto when deciding premiums. For sure there is a smaller %age of MT on the road but that doesnt mean there is no market.
Go for it if that's what you want, enjoy your ride
__________________


Drives: 997 Porsche turbo
Stable: Porsche Panamera
'09 e93M(sold), '09 e90(sold)
M3Duo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2011, 05:57 PM   #4
edirtaynine
Major General
 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SoCal

Posts: 6,093
iTrader: (0)

your parents are buying a car?? nice. i say just take the automatic if your parents are u buying u the car and they prefer the automatic. if they didnt care, i say get the manual. u can always get a manual car of your choice later when you buy it on your own.

if my parents were willing to buy me a car back in highschool, i would've gladly taken a slightly used e36 automatic without a complaint lol. shiet, even a 318i wouldve been okay with me back then lol.
edirtaynine is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2011, 06:04 PM   #5
phazen23
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: washington state

Posts: 211
iTrader: (0)

1) Check with your insurance company. If it is indeed more expensive, I'm guessing it shouldn't be significant enough a reason to not go MT.

2) Completely disagree. Infact, I'd say the opposite is true. Since you actually have to pay attention to shifting gears, youre actually putting more focus into driving than you do an automatic. With an automatic you're more likely to be paying attention to something else besides driving since all you need to do is keep the steering wheel straight and work the "stop" and "go" pedals.

3) Much like #1, Though possibly true, if the car is in decent condition, it will still sell, it just may be a couple of weeks longer than it's automatic counterpart. Again, not sufficient reason enough to dismiss an MT as an option.

When I got my first car, my parents questioned my choice of transmission as well. Ultimately (without too much of a fight) they relented since they weren't going to drive it, and it makes sense that the car's options match its primary driver's requirements, not the needs of others..
phazen23 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2011, 06:10 PM   #6
ndog14
Banned
 
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 1,746
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig's U.S. Cousin View Post
I'm planning on getting a 2007 BMW 328i coupe. I have heard that if i don't get it in manual i will be losing a lot of power and that's not what i want. I would love to get the manual, but my parents don't agree. My parents have only come up with three reasons
1.) The insurance is more expensive.
2.) It's a distraction.
3.) There is a smaller market for them therefore its harder to sell.
If you have any thoughts i would love to hear them, so i can hopefully put together a decent argument, and get my manual. Also if you are a parent yourself, would you rather have your kid driving a manual or auto?
1. Insurance rates are based mostly on cost of the car and your risk. My 07 328xi 6mt with 38k miles was only $12 more a month than my '11 subaru impreza (not WRX) w/ AT


2. It's not, I don't even think about shifting. I just do it instinctively.


3. The market is not an issue. Think about other teens that will be buying our cars after us, they want a manual. That is who they will belong to after us. That's what is happening with the E46s. The prices are lower so that is opening the number of buyers out there.


What your parents should be considered about is YOU. When you are driving a manual it is easier to drive faster because you have control over the gear and potential power available at any moment. I can guarantee you if my car was an automatic I wouldn't have done have the shit I have, which includes a $1.2k money shift.
ndog14 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2011, 06:14 PM   #7
gunnerxq
Captain
 
gunnerxq's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 "325i"
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Staten Island and Albany

Posts: 969
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleIN View Post
1. Not sure on insurance being more expensive.

2. I would disagree to some extent. When you drive manual you have to be more focused, less likely to be messing around with the radio, idrive, etc because you will be more engaged. Just develop good habits of keeping both hands on the wheel as much as possible and dont drive around with your hand always on the shifter

3. there is a smaller market for manual cars as it seems like the majority of people in the US can't drive it. however it goes both ways because people who only want to buy a manual car will likely expand their search geographically to find the car they're looking for. so I would say this one leans slightly towards being harder to sell, but not much more

one thing to consider is that you will have a risk of money shift and destroying your transmission, but if you're already comfortable driving manual transmission then go for it. 328 has less power than 335 so you will probably be driving at higher revs to get more power and driving at high revs plus making a mistake in shifting ends up as a disaster

I think it's good for young drivers to have a manual car. If you never have a manual you'll probably never learn to drive one, and then later when you're older and you want to buy that porsche you'll be stuck getting an automatic. I think learning to drive a manual just makes you a better driver all around because as I said above, you are more engaged in the act of driving. you're paying attention to the sound and feel of your car to know when to shift and you're planning ahead like seeing a curve and downshifting. i say go for it
Totally agree that driving a manual you get less distracted by other things in the car. And you do become a better driver in that you begin to listen to the rpms to shift right. Then you move on to listening and paying attention to how much grip the car has. At least that's what I did.

On a side note i have a friend that drives an automatic and crashed into the curb one because he was accelerating and playing with his radio. He also got four flat tires 3 going over the curb at 40 and finished the 4th one 3 weeks later on a different curb. I think his stupidity and damage would be minimized if he had a manual because he would be clueless in how to drive one fast. Just my 2 cents.
__________________
Bilstein shocks, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit.
gunnerxq is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2011, 06:43 PM   #8
The Stig's U.S. Cousin
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: '08 328i e92
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kennesaw, GA

Posts: 48
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edirtaynine View Post
your parents are buying a car?? nice. i say just take the automatic if your parents are u buying u the car and they prefer the automatic. if they didnt care, i say get the manual. u can always get a manual car of your choice later when you buy it on your own.

if my parents were willing to buy me a car back in highschool, i would've gladly taken a slightly used e36 automatic without a complaint lol. shiet, even a 318i wouldve been okay with me back then lol.
My parents are paying for half, so they get half of the decision i guess.
The Stig's U.S. Cousin is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2011, 06:49 PM   #9
gunnerxq
Captain
 
gunnerxq's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 "325i"
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Staten Island and Albany

Posts: 969
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig's U.S. Cousin View Post
My parents are paying for half, so they get half of the decision i guess.
Pay for 51% then. Problem solved
__________________
Bilstein shocks, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit.
gunnerxq is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2011, 06:50 PM   #10
HitBoostTwinTurbo
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2008 335I convertible
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Thornhill

Posts: 44
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig's U.S. Cousin View Post
I'm planning on getting a 2007 BMW 328i coupe. I have heard that if i don't get it in manual i will be losing a lot of power and that's not what i want. I would love to get the manual, but my parents don't agree. My parents have only come up with three reasons
1.) The insurance is more expensive.
2.) It's a distraction.
3.) There is a smaller market for them therefore its harder to sell.
If you have any thoughts i would love to hear them, so i can hopefully put together a decent argument, and get my manual. Also if you are a parent yourself, would you rather have your kid driving a manual or auto?
1) dont know about insurance
2) Its not a distraction, it makes you focus more, if you get distracted, you will stall/grind gear aka burn the clutch, you HAVE to pay attention
3) It will be harder to sell because its a 328i, if it was a 335i then it wouldnt be as hard, because the 328i isnt as fast.

I don't know how old you are, but my parents were the same about manual transmission. I ended up getting the manual, much more fun to drive, shows that you are passionate and not just a regular driver.
HitBoostTwinTurbo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2011, 06:55 PM   #11
ndog14
Banned
 
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 1,746
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitBoostTwinTurbo View Post
1) dont know about insurance
2) Its not a distraction, it makes you focus more, if you get distracted, you will stall/grind gear aka burn the clutch, you HAVE to pay attention
3) It will be harder to sell because its a 328i, if it was a 335i then it wouldnt be as hard, because the 328i isnt as fast.

I don't know how old you are, but my parents were the same about manual transmission. I ended up getting the manual, much more fun to drive, shows that you are passionate and not just a regular driver.
I disagree with 3. It's a manual BMW, the next person to own it will be in their teens and not care because it has the roundel on it. A noticeable amount of E9Xs are dropping below $20k and the F30 arrival will not help. If someone can get an E9X for $16k in a manual they won't care if it doesn't have turbos. And if you can old afford $16k you don't want turbos because of the replacement costs. NA > FI for that price range.
ndog14 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2011, 06:56 PM   #12
ndog14
Banned
 
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 1,746
iTrader: (0)

Make sure you get one with the sport package, they have better seats. It also has a different suspension, but that can easily be replaced with an aftermarket. Going back I wish I got my E90 with the sport seats.
ndog14 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2011, 07:03 PM   #13
dick.breakey
Private
 
Drives: 2010 328i 6-speed Sedan
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bellevue, WA

Posts: 74
iTrader: (0)

sport seats FTW.

manual should be the better choice, if you enjoy driving a manual. I was willing to pay a premium for my manual(I didnt though cause I like to negotiate ) because its the only thing Id buy. I wouldnt buy an auto if it was 50% off. Theres a smaller, but higher paying market for manual cars, imo.
__________________
Black on Black 10' 328i Sedan 6-Speed

M Package, Premium Package, 20%
dick.breakey is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2011, 07:17 PM   #14
Kolyan2k
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2006 S2000
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Boston

Posts: 3,920
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerxq View Post
Pay for 51% then. Problem solved

hahahaha

1. BS
2. BS
3. also BS

the only reason for your parents not to get u manual is if u cant drive it, you will kill the clutch and they will have to pay for new one.
Kolyan2k is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2011, 07:35 PM   #15
bmwpride335i
Major
 
Drives: 07 SUPERCHARGED 680HP VETTE
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 1,399
iTrader: (1)

i do believe on 328 manual will be bit more powerful, where as in 335i auto actually posts better times on track because it does not lose boost. so if you want to maximize power to the wheels in 328i i would say go for the manual.

although i have auto in my 335i, manual is always more fun. it just feels great to extract the power out of the engine yourself than the computer.
bmwpride335i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2011, 07:57 PM   #16
bwsteg
Captain
 
bwsteg's Avatar
 
Drives: AM e92 335i 6MT
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Queens NY

Posts: 601
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
Get what you feel more comfortable with. Me personally, I would never drive an automatic 335i or 328i in this matter...
__________________
Acura RSX-S K24a2 JRSC Swap - SOLD
CPO BMW 335i 6MT - SOLD
bwsteg is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2011, 08:01 PM   #17
ndog14
Banned
 
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 1,746
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwsteg View Post
Get what you feel more comfortable with. Me personally, I would never drive an automatic 335i or 328i in this matter...
I would never drive an automatic 3 series.
ndog14 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2011, 08:11 PM   #18
Bunkei
Anti-Fanboy
 
Drives: 2008 BMW M3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Burien, WA

Posts: 486
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Bunkei Send a message via MSN to Bunkei Send a message via Skype™ to Bunkei
I was shocked that my insurance premium going from my '07 Nissan Maxima to my '07 335i Coupe actually dropped.
Bunkei is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2011, 08:34 PM   #19
Verbatim
Colonel
 
Verbatim's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: at the repair shop

Posts: 2,555
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [5.00]
im gonna ask you one thing... if you end up getting an auto, please don't bitch to your parents or ever bring up "see i should have gotten the manual." don't forget your parents are kind enough to get you a nice car
__________________

2008 BMW 335i Sedan | Sparkling Graphite | Sport | Premium | Navigation | Comfort Access | Logic7
Golf Tee | M3 Spoiler | LED Angel Eyes | 5000k Fogs | Resonator Delete | Black Kidney Grills | Black Finisher Rods | 35%/18% Tint |12mm/20mm (F/R) Spacers | Black Lines


Verbatim is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2011, 08:40 PM   #20
ndog14
Banned
 
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 1,746
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkneiber View Post
im gonna ask you one thing... if you end up getting an auto, please don't bitch to your parents or ever bring up "see i should have gotten the manual." don't forget your parents are kind enough to get you a nice car
+1
ndog14 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2011, 08:46 PM   #21
fast4door
Captain
 
fast4door's Avatar
 
Drives: E60 M5
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Davie, FL

Posts: 802
iTrader: (3)

wait for the new 328i with the 8 speed auto tranny
fast4door is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2011, 08:49 PM   #22
ndog14
Banned
 
Drives: E90 328xi 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 1,746
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4door View Post
wait for the new 328i with the 8 speed auto tranny
He is looking at about a $22-24k car, not a 40k
ndog14 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advice, automatic transmission, buying, manual transmission

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:57 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST