E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Who repairs runflats

12-10-2011, 05:57 AM   #1
chris330D
Major

Drives: A45 AMG

Garage List
Who repairs runflats

I posted another thread as I had both rear tyres punctured and had bought two new tyres. A number of people told me that you can get runflats repaired but each tyre depot I have tried has said that they aren\'t allowed by the manufacturers. So who does?
chris330D is offline   United Kingdom
      12-10-2011, 06:06 AM   #2
sixpot
Second Lieutenant

Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Try using a small independent place rather than Kwik fit etc..
As long as the punctures are not in the sidewall, you can repair them just like any other tyre. Oh and as long as it's not been driven on for more than 50 miles/over 50 MPH flat.
ATS will repair them, but want you to sign a disclaimer if you do so.
      12-10-2011, 06:13 AM   #3
chris330D
Major

Garage List
Thanks, hadn't tried ATS. Kwik Fit, National etc all said no.
      12-10-2011, 07:43 AM   #4
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!

Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
+1 - the independant tyre shops will repair them. Obviously the big chains think it is beneath them to do such work, even when the manufacturers say it is permissible to do so.
      12-10-2011, 08:02 AM   #5
doughboy
Major General

Drives: E91 335i Sold.

Some independants will repair them (saturday morning, for cash, no receipt, will work best).

Officially they should only repair them if they have NOT been used deflated and of course they know that too.

But this is an impossible situation to wriggle out of as they know full well you have to drive them flat for the TPMS to inform you that you have a flat in the first place!! So unless you happened to be checking your pressures and miraculously 'found' a puncture before driving on it, they know your lying.

Duty of care and all that, you can see why big chains won't touch them.
doughboy is offline   United Kingdom
      12-10-2011, 08:08 AM   #6
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!

Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
TPMS will flag up a warning well in advance of total pressure loss though?
      12-10-2011, 08:15 AM   #7
Mauryk
Private

Drives: 2010 335i Xdrive

Garage List
Runflats are significantly damaged on the inside of the tire if they are driven on while flat. The enhanced sidewall that allows the tire to remain "inflated" when it is low on air has a very limited lifetime. When the tire is used in the deflated condition the sidewall degrades rapidly, and will fail in a short time. Manufacturers design the sidewall to last at least 50 miles. I wouldn't count on much more than that.

If you have a punctured runflat and have driven on it, you can be sure there is internal sidewall damage. How much, and whether it is visible is unknown. That is why manufacturers do not want to repair runflats. If you are sure that the tire was not driven on while flat, and an internal inspection shows no unusual wear, perhaps it may be worth the risk to have it repaired. Otherwise, I would not take the chance. A sidewall failure at speed is not pretty.
2010 E90 335i Xdrive| Titanium Silver Metallic | Black Leather | Premium, Sport, Nav, Cold | Steptronic | matte black grilles | Cyba scoops | pinstripes | Rear Fog Mod | Clear Reflectors | WeissLicht AE |More to come...|
Mauryk is offline   United_States
      12-10-2011, 08:15 AM   #8
chris330D
Major

Garage List
The warning went off pretty early. Still had plenty of air in them though they were completely flat by the morning. Still mad at getting 2 at once though Camskill sent out new ones very quickly.
      12-10-2011, 08:34 AM   #9
doughboy
Major General

Drives: E91 335i Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dave View Post
TPMS will flag up a warning well in advance of total pressure loss though?
It will yes for a slower puncture, but if you're not at home, you've go to keep driving anyway and then most pucntures will be flat in a few minutes, unless its a slow.

Or you have a slowish puncture, get home unaware, it goes flat overnight and you drive away in the morning with zero pressure until the bong goes off.

It not just zero pressure use anyway, even use at a reduced pressure will overheat the sidewall as it tries to support the car - this is why its such a minefield..

Last edited by doughboy; 12-10-2011 at 08:40 AM.
doughboy is offline   United Kingdom