E90Post

E92 Lighting

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > How many of you are not CCA members?

12-11-2011, 06:10 AM   #1
midlifecrisis
Captain

Drives: 2008 E90 M3 - IB/ExBB

How many of you are not CCA members?

I posted this on the M3 and X3 boards yesterday, but I'm wondering what the 3 Series owners think.

I'm involved in the local CCA chapter here in NJ, and I'm wondering how many of the US based participants on this board are not members.

How about it? Are you a member of the CCA and - if not, why not?

I'm also curious to know if you bought your car new, did your CA tell you about club membership when you bought the car or at any time since? If they didn't and they expect to sell you another car someday, you should have a talk with them. They've failed to tell you how you can save some money on your next purchase.

Members know the benefits - from the $500-$1,500 rebate from BMW on new car purchases (after 1 year of membership) to getting Roundel every month. Many dealers also give parts discounts to CCA members, and the club has an ombundsman program for problem resolution. Club chapters also host a veriety of events from tours to driver schools to autocrosses where you can test the limits of your car in a safe environment.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm trying to find ways to increase my chapter's membership and the reasons for membership seem obvious to me, especially for people who have enough interest in their cars to participate in this forum. It would be helpful for me to know why people don't join.

Thanks.
1991 325iX (sold - gone but not forgotten!)
2014 X5 35d (Performance Center delivery May '14)
      12-11-2011, 08:39 AM   #2
carjon
First Lieutenant

Drives: 328xi Sedan

Not a member but considering it. I was for many years but while not a BMW owner and not working - the annual cost was just one of those things that I cut.
Recent BMW purpose and dealer didn't mention CCA but then he didn't do much at delivery.
Have considered but cost is very high for benefits, to me - yes Rondel was nice and money if you purchase another but the price seems to have gotten very high unless you actually use all the various parts and even then it is expensive unless you know you are buying another BMW in the future.
Sorry but clubs in bad economy go to the end of the list for many of us.
      12-11-2011, 08:43 AM   #3
gary88
Ikea enthusiast

Drives: '07 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [3.91]
I've been a member for almost a year now, need to renew my membership actually before it runs out in Jan. The club events are fun (this year we toured the Fall-Line shop), the autocross events are always a blast, and Roundel itself is worth the yearly fee alone.

garyhebdingjr.com | flickr | Instagram@garyhebding
gary88 is offline   United_States
      12-11-2011, 09:22 AM   #4
ENINTY
Banned

Drives: 2006 325i Sport

In this day and age of the internet and the majority of BMW owners being well-off soccer moms and investment bankers, who only buy the car for the Roundel (and BMW has decided to cater to them), I don't see the CCA as relevant anymore. I get 20% discount on parts and technical information is abundant on the Net.

Originally the snobbishness of being a BMW owner and being in the BMW club was because the cars were great to drive and being in the club meant you "got it" and outsiders didn't. Now the snobbishness of owning a BMW is being elitist because you can afford a $90,000 6-Series convertible, or an X6-thing-whatever-it-is.

I mean what's next, front-drive hatchbacks and no naturally aspriated in-line sixes in the 3-Series? Oh, wait...

Maybe BMW will even switch to blue instrumentation!
      12-11-2011, 09:47 AM   #5
midlifecrisis
Captain

Drives: 2008 E90 M3 - IB/ExBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
In this day and age of the internet and the majority of BMW owners being well-off soccer moms and investment bankers, who only buy the car for the Roundel (and BMW has decided to cater to them), I don't see the CCA as relevant anymore. I get 20% discount on parts and technical information is abundant on the Net.

Originally the snobbishness of being a BMW owner and being in the BMW club was because the cars were great to drive and being in the club meant you "got it" and outsiders didn't. Now the snobbishness of owning a BMW is being elitist because you can afford a $90,000 6-Series convertible, or an X6-thing-whatever-it-is.

I mean what's next, front-drive hatchbacks and no naturally aspriated in-line sixes in the 3-Series? Oh, wait...

Maybe BMW will even switch to blue instrumentation!
I hear what you're saying, and my buddies in the club fight the clueless snob thing every day. It's the one place you can still bring your car, whether it's a ratty old E30 or an E92 M3, and nobody worries about the status thing. It's all about the cars. In fact, these boards could be accused of overdoing the "snob appeal" thing. Some of the posts are a little over the top in that regard - a thread on what kind of watch people wear comes to mind. Probably interesting to some, but it reinforces the snobbery and isn't about the cars. (I'm not necessarily against that kind of post - just pointing out that these forums can sometimes reinforce attitudes that some of us would rather do without.) The CCA seems to bring everyone together to enjoy one thing - the cars.
1991 325iX (sold - gone but not forgotten!)
2014 X5 35d (Performance Center delivery May '14)
      12-11-2011, 10:17 AM   #6
Spydeputy
Brigadier General

Drives: 2012,E92,335is/2008,E90,335xi

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
2012 335is  [1.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Spydeputy
Bmw Cca Ncc

I'm in and have been since the beginning, 08/24/08.
Now i just bought another BMW, and now waiting
for my $500 check from BMW CCA. Can't beat that!
2012, E92, 335is, Space Metal Gray, DINAN Stage 2, Helix FMIC, M Sport Pkg, Dbl Spoke 313 Wheels, Gray & Blk Leather, Conv. Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Prem Pkg, 7 Sp DCT, Navigation, Satellite / Harman Kardon Radio.
BMW CCA Member
Spydeputy is offline   Germany
      12-11-2011, 10:37 AM   #7
roundel335
Brigadier General

Drives: 13 335i Sedan, 11 128i Cabrio

Garage List
I've now been a member for 10 years...was a Porsche Club member before and joined immediately after buying my first BMW. I've now received the rebate checks for the three 3-series I've owned and my wife's 1-series. Our chapter has a monthly event that involves real-road driving (we do 1 track session per year), and our membership's cars run the gamut from 2002s and E30s to the latest models. Great socializing and swapping stories, and our events always include a visit to a great restaurant. There indeed may be more "soccer moms" and the "status" type out there than members, but we don't seem to have any of them in the club - at least, they're not active members. Everyone in our chapter has a touch of enthusiasm for the marque.

So the club isn't for everyone - you have to have some interest in the cars for more than basic transportation or status symbol. But at least in the chapters I've belonged to, we don't typically see anyone who's not in it for the driving and social aspects. The ones who aren't into those things don't show up.

2013 F30 335i M-Sport 8AT/MPE/MPPK, 2011 128i M-sport Cabrio 6MT/PE
roundel335 is offline   United_States
      12-11-2011, 10:39 AM   #8
Express
Major General

Drives: 06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [4.15]
am not a member, do not plan on giving any more of my hard earned jew change to BMW.

how miserable does that sound? i just wouldn't benefit from the club. i don't read magazines, i don't buy BMW's all the time, and if i did, i could negotiate another 500 off of a deal any day.
Express is offline   Israel
      12-11-2011, 11:10 AM   #9
TheStigsTwin
Captain

Drives: 2011 335xi

I am and have been for 12 years now. The events are great. The Roundel is great. The 500 extra (on top of negotiated price)off of the price of my car is great. But if you throw all the out, the best part is being part of a community of gearheads that like to talk about cars. Especially bmw's, but really all cars in general. That's fun!
      12-11-2011, 11:47 AM   #10
John 070
Lieutenant General

Drives: 335i cpe

I'm not, never will be. The local chapter is no good, and I'm not interested in buying a new BMW. I like the one I have which I bought new.
      12-11-2011, 11:49 AM   #11
John 070
Lieutenant General

Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by express705 View Post
am not a member, do not plan on giving any more of my hard earned jew change to BMW.

how miserable does that sound? i just wouldn't benefit from the club. i don't read magazines, i don't buy BMW's all the time, and if i did, i could negotiate another 500 off of a deal any day.
I've talked to people in my area and they say the local chapter b***s. Do people join to actually get together with people, which I think is the whole purpose, or do they do so just to say they are members? It's a "membership" I can do without. Agreed, say you're not paying MACO and training fees and there's more than 1/2 your savings right there.
      12-11-2011, 12:25 PM   #12
eaglesfan83
FIRE TOEZ!!!!!

Drives: 2010 Audi S4

Garage List
Was a member but didnt really see the local group at all and no events that were anywhere close to where I was. I ended up not renewing it. I would consider it in the future though.

E9X Picture Game: 4-1 Points: Seasonal Meet, Veterans Day, Pet on Roof, E9x next to a vert
      12-11-2011, 02:34 PM   #13
jphughan
Brigadier General

Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT

My CA mentioned it to me during delivery, but I had already joined a few weeks earlier since I thought it sounded cool, my local chapter had interesting events on the website calendar, and I'd heard great things about Roundel which I thought would probably justify the annual subscription cost all on its own (it does).

I was initially a little nervous about just showing up to a chapter event one day since I didn't know anyone else, but I'm glad I did because the Tejas Chapter has become one of my favorite (and definitely least expected) perks of ownership, and someday it might just make the difference between me sticking with BMW rather than switching brands. In terms of meeting new people, I became especially unsure when I pulled up to my first meeting and noticed that the average membership age is around 50-55; I'm 25. But that disappeared within minutes, and over the course of that event at least 6 people went out of their way to come over to me and say, "You must be new here, I'm so-and-so," and we proceeded to have great conversations. I felt right at home in no time. One of the things I also noticed immediately and still like most about the chapter is that there's absolutely no snobbery. It's never about who has the fastest, newest, or most expensive car; it's just a bunch of good people who happen to enjoy driving BMWs and talking about all sorts of things meeting up to go have some fun on a Saturday. Well, except the occasional chain-yanking from our President about a member in an M Roadster who practically parks it in the corners, and I sometimes give roundel335 a hard time about Dinan-izing his 335 trying to make it eat M3s rather than putting some of that go-fast budget into track weekends. Maybe my experience is just southern hospitality that doesn't apply everywhere, but I strongly encourage people to investigate their local chapter.

As far as the events themselves, even though I enjoy higher-performance driving (Hill Country twisties at higher speeds, track weekends, etc) and that's not what the Tejas Chapter really does, I've found that sometimes just cruising at near-freeway speeds along fabulous roads and stopping at interesting places can be a lot of fun too. For some reason caravaning is cool just for making you feel like part of a group, and I've found at least in the Tejas Chapter there are lots of great people to talk to about BMWs and all manner of other things. I've now been to almost every event since I joined back in May and I actually coordinated the November event, which went pretty well.
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder

Last edited by jphughan; 12-11-2011 at 02:41 PM.
jphughan is offline   United_States
      12-11-2011, 03:29 PM   #14
kelvin2010
Lieutenant

Drives: E92 335i AW

I'm a member of CCA..
But since I joined, I haven't got any "benefit" from the club beside the sticker and roundels...
My chapter doesn't have a lot of activities...so I'm considering to quit after the membership expired.
kelvin2010 is offline   United_States
      12-11-2011, 03:44 PM   #15
krhodes1
Captain

Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
I've been a member since I bought my first BMW years ago. Cool thing is my local chapter buys dinner at the monthly meetings (at a great BBQ place), which means it more than pays for itself!

But I am lucky enough to live pretty close to where the meetings are held, I enjoy Roundel, the local dealer gives a good club discount, and I got the $500 rebate on my e91. Just re-upped for another three years.
      12-11-2011, 05:22 PM   #16
ede92
Lieutenant

Drives: 2014 Porsche 911 Cab 7MT

Do you have to sign up for a second year to get the new car discount? Or is is possible to buy a new care at the end of a 1 year membership?
      12-11-2011, 05:34 PM   #17
jphughan
Brigadier General

Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ede92 View Post
Do you have to sign up for a second year to get the new car discount? Or is is possible to buy a new care at the end of a 1 year membership?
At the time of the purchase, you need to be an active member and have been a member for the last year without any lapses, so yes you need to be a member for the second year in order to qualify for the discount. But if you get a $500 rebate you're still way ahead given that membership is like $45/year, and that's even if you ignore all the other benefits like Roundel.
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder
jphughan is offline   United_States
      12-11-2011, 06:31 PM   #18
Dr. Nate
Nate Dogg

Drives: 2011 328i Saloon

I participate in a free BMW group that doesn't charge me to participate in their events. I have never seen a point in paying to be part of a group (just my opinion). I'm sure the CCA is cool, but to me the cost isn't worth it.

-Nate
      12-11-2011, 06:35 PM   #19
Tom K.
Major General

Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by express705 View Post
i don't buy BMW's all the time, and if i did, i could negotiate another 500 off of a deal any day.
This comment makes little sense as the BMW CCA rebate of $250 to $1,500, depending on the model purchased, is in addition to (and independent of) whatever deal you negotiate.

Tom
Tom K. is offline   United_States
      12-11-2011, 07:31 PM   #20
ede92
Lieutenant

Drives: 2014 Porsche 911 Cab 7MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
At the time of the purchase, you need to be an active member and have been a member for the last year without any lapses, so yes you need to be a member for the second year in order to qualify for the discount. But if you get a $500 rebate you're still way ahead given that membership is like $45/year, and that's even if you ignore all the other benefits like Roundel.

Thanks for the clarification. I will definitely sign-up. I should have gotten a lifetime membership back in 99. Oh well.
      12-12-2011, 09:28 AM   #21
David1
Colonel

Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

I am a member just for the rebate when I need it otherwise the membership dues just eat it away at the rebate. The CCA does nothing else for me. The info in Roundel I get from my other mags much earlier.
      12-12-2011, 09:36 AM   #22
dcat151
Lieutenant

Drives: 2006 330i 6MT ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

I am a member. I found out about the CCA through this forum. I think the CCA has some fun people in it and I think that Roundel is an excellent publication.
dcat151 is offline   Wales