E90Post
 


E92 Lighting
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > THE MOST RECKLESS BMW DEALERSHIP IN THE USA... and their lawyers..



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-04-2012, 05:01 PM   #155
cjg
Boosted
 
cjg's Avatar
 
Drives: 95 M3, 11 Z4 35is
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Albuquerque, NM

Posts: 79
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguru View Post
For those of you who haven't gotten a chance to come across this yet, this is a copy of the write up I got from a third party and unbiased BMW repair shop where I had them check it out shortly after the incident on the freeway occurred. A total of six fault codes came up on their independent diagnostic. All of which posed significant safety hazards and when combined, can cause catastrophic situations.

It should be worth mentioning that none of these codes had anything at all to do with an "emissions" issue. Which was the reason the dealership stated that they "turned off" the warning lights.

I sent this to both Penske and BMW immediately after I got these results and not only did neither company reply, but when i finally did get a hold of them, neither company would discuss the findings calling them irrelevant because they weren't done at one of their dealerships.

Do you have the work order from the BMW dealership from before the incident? Are the specific codes listed then, which ones they cleared?
__________________
95 Dakar M3 AA Supercharged || TC Kline Koni || Prolumen HID || Stromung
11 Space Gray Z4 35is || Walnut Leather
cjg is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2012, 05:26 PM   #156
deadmn1337
Captain
 
Drives: '08 JB E92 335xi
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Beach

Posts: 605
iTrader: (8)

if I read correctly the dealership didn't read the codes they just cleared then originally without checking at all
deadmn1337 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2012, 05:32 PM   #157
cjg
Boosted
 
cjg's Avatar
 
Drives: 95 M3, 11 Z4 35is
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Albuquerque, NM

Posts: 79
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmn1337 View Post
if I read correctly the dealership didn't read the codes they just cleared then originally without checking at all
They had to have pulled the codes, arguru stated that the dealership said that the codes related to some "emissions" issue.
__________________
95 Dakar M3 AA Supercharged || TC Kline Koni || Prolumen HID || Stromung
11 Space Gray Z4 35is || Walnut Leather
cjg is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #158
Propagator
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

Posts: 808
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg View Post
They had to have pulled the codes, arguru stated that the dealership said that the codes related to some "emissions" issue.
From the original post,

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguru
Upon bringing the car in, I had a service advisor come out, get into my car, and proceed to turn off the warning light (they had me leave the car and I was sitting in a waiting area while he did this). He then came to the waiting area and said to completely disregard the warning light as it did NOT indicate that there was anything wrong with my car and that it merely just an alert that some sort of inspection was due on my car that isn't required in our state (Arizona).
It sounds to me like they were backed up with service and did not have a loaner available, so they never really looked at the codes carefully, just assumed it was something minor, and sent arguru on his way. The "emission" thing was just BS. Because let's face it, this is a car that throws an error for not tightening the gas cap all the way.

Given that the thread is pretty long at this point, I don't know if anything has been brought up to rule out this most obvious possibility. Anyone?
Propagator is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #159
phazen23
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: washington state

Posts: 211
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propagator View Post

It sounds to me like they were backed up with service and did not have a loaner available, so they never really looked at the codes carefully, just assumed it was something minor, and sent arguru on his way. The "emission" thing was just BS. Because let's face it, this is a car that throws an error for not tightening the gas cap all the way.

Given that the thread is pretty long at this point, I don't know if anything has been brought up to rule out this most obvious possibility. Anyone?
The gas lid tightening thing is on all new cars. Something about them measuring the pressure that builds up in the tank to avoid small catastrophe's.

Some check engine lights are safe to ignore, others not so much. It seems to me that the dealer didn't do enough due diligence in this respect.
phazen23 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2012, 07:05 PM   #160
NewNole2001
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2012 E93 328i, 2015 F8
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: North Fla

Posts: 172
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phazen23 View Post
The gas lid tightening thing is on all new cars. Something about them measuring the pressure that builds up in the tank to avoid small catastrophe's.
/Offtopic
Not on my Ford. My gas tank is capless. It really is pretty ingenious.

Last edited by NewNole2001; 01-04-2012 at 07:05 PM. Reason: formatting
NewNole2001 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #161
JalopnikMatt
Registered
 
Drives: Whatever They Drop Off
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Internet

Posts: 2
iTrader: (0)

Yo, Steve. Dropped you an email. Interested in covering this (got your last email, thanks!).

- Matt
JalopnikMatt is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #162
richpike
Captain
 
Drives: L322 RR, E90 335i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: CO - 6500ft ASL

Posts: 662
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JalopnikMatt View Post
Yo, Steve. Dropped you an email. Interested in covering this (got your last email, thanks!).

- Matt
Very cool - love Jalopnik!

-Rich
richpike is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #163
335BBS
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Posts: 3,607
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propagator View Post
From the original post,



It sounds to me like they were backed up with service and did not have a loaner available, so they never really looked at the codes carefully, just assumed it was something minor, and sent arguru on his way. The "emission" thing was just BS. Because let's face it, this is a car that throws an error for not tightening the gas cap all the way.

Given that the thread is pretty long at this point, I don't know if anything has been brought up to rule out this most obvious possibility. Anyone?
typical e90 post......do you really think a dealer is going to pass on ANY business if a problem is detected??
Virtually ALL cars need back pressure provided by gas cap.
335BBS is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2012, 08:54 PM   #164
335BBS
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Posts: 3,607
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg View Post
Did anyone else read some of arguru's other posts?

Is it ok to put my car on blocks? http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=626795

AutoLogic FAIL... http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=604319

Seems like he has been messing with the coding, and using blocks to change his tires after an "accident" where he bent both front wheels.
I hate to be this way but those two earlier posts don't look good. You clearly nailed something hard enough to bend two wheels then ran into electrical problems..........Hit anything that hard and there are bound to be repercussions. If thats the case (and I hope its not) the trouble will be yours for spreading this all over the place. Why not just keep this all to yourself and wait in their rental/loaner until your car is fixed?
335BBS is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #165
nickdrivesm3
Motorsport Product Genius
 
nickdrivesm3's Avatar
 
Drives: E36 M3
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 39
iTrader: (0)

Wow, what a read.
nickdrivesm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #166
Propagator
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

Posts: 808
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propagator View Post
From the original post,



It sounds to me like they were backed up with service and did not have a loaner available, so they never really looked at the codes carefully, just assumed it was something minor, and sent arguru on his way. The "emission" thing was just BS. Because let's face it, this is a car that throws an error for not tightening the gas cap all the way.

Given that the thread is pretty long at this point, I don't know if anything has been brought up to rule out this most obvious possibility. Anyone?
typical e90 post......do you really think a dealer is going to pass on ANY business if a problem is detected??
Virtually ALL cars need back pressure provided by gas cap.
Oh the back pressure! I had no idea. That's why people were left stranded all the time before the gas cap sensor finally came along. Oh wait..

These error codes are no different from error messages compiler throws when you try to compile a piece of code. There is the right amount of it that makes it useful. Too many, and it becomes useless. I was merely commenting on the German tendency to throw error on every little thing, making it more difficult to tell what's important and what isn't.

When you say that the dealer will never turn down a business, I guess the implication is that there never was any serious error code, and arguru is making it up. Maybe. He would have had to forge that diagnostics from independent mechanic, but I suppose anything is possible. I am on the other hand personally quite convinced that this issue is real.
Propagator is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2012, 10:16 PM   #167
335BBS
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Posts: 3,607
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguru View Post
Please get caught up on the thread before posting as I addressed this a couple pages back. The bend in the front wheels was something that was caused BY the situation on the freeway. This was not a prior issue. My car had never had any problems whatsoever (besides the warning lights that are the backbone of this thread) until the incident occurred.
Sorry about that. I have followed from the beginning but didnt see the date of that post. my bad.
335BBS is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2012, 10:21 PM   #168
335BBS
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Posts: 3,607
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propagator View Post
Oh the back pressure! I had no idea. That's why people were left stranded all the time before the gas cap sensor finally came along. Oh wait..

These error codes are no different from error messages compiler throws when you try to compile a piece of code. There is the right amount of it that makes it useful. Too many, and it becomes useless. I was merely commenting on the German tendency to throw error on every little thing, making it more difficult to tell what's important and what isn't.

When you say that the dealer will never turn down a business, I guess the implication is that there never was any serious error code, and arguru is making it up. Maybe. He would have had to forge that diagnostics from independent mechanic, but I suppose anything is possible. I am on the other hand personally quite convinced that this issue is real.
Whats your problem? Why so defensive? There is no "gas cap sensor". It has to do with pressurizing the fuel system. I never implied that at all. I assume they read the codes incorrectly indicating no service required. If they thought service was required they would surely provide it. You need to calm down.
335BBS is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2012, 10:25 PM   #169
335BBS
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Posts: 3,607
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguru View Post
Also, just for the record and as a response to anyone who's complaining about only getting "one side of the story", the only reason you're all getting only my side of the story is because BMWNA and Penske Automotive won't be bothered with this! I've had constant phone calls with reps for both Penske and BMW TELLING THEM FLAT OUT to respond to these posts to defend their position. The problem is that they aren't even taking a position to defend. BMW is saying they won't help me because this was Penske's fault and Penske is flat out ignoring me. BMW is refusing to intervene and get a response from Penske. These two companies clearly don't give a shit about addressing this issue not only to me, but to every single one of you as well.. all in which have a right to know about!

BMWNA has a username on this board and they've used it on this thread. Consider this my public and formal invite to both BMW and Penske automotive to step up to the plate and challenge any claims I've made. I've already encouraged them to do so already over the phone but every time I do, they just say they're not happy about me posting and it's not motivating them to help me.

If it hasn't been obvious throughout the month that this post has been up then it should be obvious now: Penske and BMW have something to hide in this situation. If they didn't they wouldn't be ignoring me and would be contacting me threatening to sue me for libel!

These people won't respond to emails anymore! Everytime I email them, they just call me back (assuming I'm even lucky enough to get a call back). They won't even document what they say over the computer via email!

It's one sided if I'm spreading propaganda on the DL without them knowing, but this forum is something that they're VERY aware of and have been following this post. Just because they're hiding doesn't make this one sided. It just makes them cowards. Plain and simple.
I'm sure youre right here but there is NO WAY that they will get into a pissing contest on the internet. This is probably part of the reason they have clammed up. Just keep driving their car. They will fix yours.
335BBS is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2012, 10:41 PM   #170
Propagator
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

Posts: 808
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaker View Post
Whats your problem? Why so defensive? There is no "gas cap sensor". It has to do with pressurizing the fuel system. I never implied that at all. I assume they read the codes incorrectly indicating no service required. If they thought service was required they would surely provide it. You need to calm down.
I wrote that while playing with my daughter at Toys R Us, so rest assured I was very calm.

When I read your post, I interpreted as defending the dealership's position. If that was a mistake, then I apologize. However, if you look at the list of codes that the independent mechanic pulled, it is a bit mystifying as to how they could have honestly mistaken all those codes as being benign. They even claimed they were emissions related, which again seems baseless. But maybe you simply hadn't looked at that scan in the previous page and assumed that it was a just minor code?
Propagator is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2012, 10:56 PM   #171
RichardJones
New Member
 
Drives: Red with four wheels
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: In the garage

Posts: 6
iTrader: (0)

arguru, it's unclear to me what you want to happen or to do in order to resolve this problem

What do you regard as a full solution to this? So if I was the manager of the dealership, and/or BMW, and/or whoever you wanted me to be and I was standing in front of you right now and I offered to give you whatever you wanted or to do whatever you wanted me to do, what would that be?
RichardJones is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2012, 11:08 PM   #172
John 070
Lieutenant General
 
Drives: 335i cpe
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

Posts: 11,409
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardJones View Post
arguru, it's unclear to me what you want to happen or to do in order to resolve this problem

What do you regard as a full solution to this? So if I was the manager of the dealership, and/or BMW, and/or whoever you wanted me to be and I was standing in front of you right now and I offered to give you whatever you wanted or to do whatever you wanted me to do, what would that be?
hari-kari would be a good start
John 070 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2012, 11:13 PM   #173
matrix76
Major
 
matrix76's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 328i xDrive Ex/Ps
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The West Coast, BC

Posts: 1,300
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardJones View Post
arguru, it's unclear to me what you want to happen or to do in order to resolve this problem

What do you regard as a full solution to this? So if I was the manager of the dealership, and/or BMW, and/or whoever you wanted me to be and I was standing in front of you right now and I offered to give you whatever you wanted or to do whatever you wanted me to do, what would that be?
Just signed in, first post, and you sound like a rep for BMWNA. Where the hell did you come from?
__________________
Brian
Black Sapphire, Black w/Burrwood Trim & Shifter, 162's, Mtec H8 AE's, DS1 HID 6000K

matrix76 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2012, 11:47 PM   #174
Propagator
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

Posts: 808
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix76 View Post
Just signed in, first post, and you sound like a rep for BMWNA. Where the hell did you come from?
This is getting interesting.
Propagator is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-05-2012, 12:03 AM   #175
darebornsolja
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Arcadia

Posts: 307
iTrader: (0)

Hmmm I second that, just got more interesting.. undercover troll alert
darebornsolja is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-05-2012, 12:06 AM   #176
ghon3
Registered
 
Drives: X5
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada

Posts: 1
iTrader: (0)

Difficult situation, however I can't help but notice the emissions inspection being disregarded in the discussion. The state emissions inspection is a real thing, monitored and tracked by the CBS service indicator along with a general vehicle inspection. It's not uncommon for technicians in non-smog areas to effectively 'disable' the indicator by setting the next inspection date a hundred years from now.

The CBS status is a separate scan from the stored fault code reading. For obvious reasons I can't say this was the only issue present, but a simple CBS-only scan may have in fact shown your emissions inspection due and the service advisor figured he would be doing you a favor by turning it off. It's not fair to accuse him of lying to you.
ghon3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:13 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST