E90Post
 


MINHS Auto Care Center
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > No sound coming from speakers, Radio interface still works



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-13-2011, 06:08 PM   #1
issabmw
cool beans
 
Drives: E30|E90|Godzilla
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sunshine State

Posts: 1,364
iTrader: (2)

Exclamation No sound coming from speakers, Radio interface still works

Hey guys,

I've had this problem for almost a year now. My radio (non-idrive) still works, as in I can scroll through the stations, choose the input, connect phone via bluetooth, etc. but there is no sound coming out of the speakers no matter how much you turn the volume dial, no matter what input you're on (CD, radio, phone).

I am thinking its the amplifier, but then again it could be anything, even a fuse. If someone knows that it's the amplifier from experience, please post a part number so I can get it sorted.

Anyone else experience something similar?
issabmw is offline   Lebanon
0
Reply With Quote
      12-13-2011, 06:16 PM   #2
ctuna
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca

Posts: 4,031
iTrader: (0)

There is an audio sub board here

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27

You need to identify the Year and Model number of your car.

If you have an 09 or older e9x and its a US model you will have
one of 2 systems.

If you have the HI FI system you can put an aftermarket amp in
fairly easily and it will sound better .

If you have a Logic 7 things will be much harder as there is a proprietary
fiberoptic connection between the Head Unit and Amp .

The head unit does not identify the model of the stereo .
A Logic 7 will have a dash center speaker and graphic equalizer control
in the radio display.


http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...2&d=1260829447

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=407085

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...1&d=1209780865

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...1&d=1209780605

If you are near Fort Lauderdale the East Coast E9x stereo expert lives there his
handle is Technic he posts a lot on the board listed above . He can fix you up
no matter which system you have.

Last edited by ctuna; 12-13-2011 at 06:38 PM.
ctuna is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-13-2011, 06:57 PM   #3
issabmw
cool beans
 
Drives: E30|E90|Godzilla
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sunshine State

Posts: 1,364
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27

You need to identify the Year and Model number of your car.

If you have an 09 or older e9x and its a US model you will have
one of 2 systems.

If you have the HI FI system you can put an aftermarket amp in
fairly easily and it will sound better .

If you have a Logic 7 things will be much harder as there is a proprietary
fiberoptic connection between the Head Unit and Amp .

The head unit does not identify the model of the stereo .
A Logic 7 will have a dash center speaker and graphic equalizer control
in the radio display.


http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...2&d=1260829447

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=407085

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...1&d=1209780865

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...1&d=1209780605

If you are near Fort Lauderdale the East Coast E9x stereo expert lives there his
handle is Technic he posts a lot on the board listed above . He can fix you up
no matter which system you have.
Thanks for the post

Although the pdf is quite clear, I'm still unsure regarding whether I have the Hi-Fi or Logic 7. I have the little speaker grille in the middle of my dash, but I do not have the Logic 7 settings (surround, enhancement settings) in the radio interface. Also, I remember that when it did work, it didn't sound good enough to be Logic 7. I could be wrong.

Any fool-proof methods of determining which one I have?
issabmw is offline   Lebanon
0
Reply With Quote
      12-13-2011, 08:29 PM   #4
ctuna
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca

Posts: 4,031
iTrader: (0)

You still haven't stated the model year

For instance every 06 330 in the US came with Logic 7 and I think the first year or
two of 335's did to. If you have and 09 or earlier and you look at the amp
in the trunk the Logic 7 amp is silver in color and the Hi Fi amp is black.
The Logic 7 has 13 speakers and the Hi fi has 10 ,tweeters are counted as speakers. If you read those pdf's the amp location is shown . Its under the plastic toolkit in some cars. There will be a grill in the dash speaker between the to vents on the dash in logic 7 . That same space on a Hi Fi will be solid plastic.

You must state the model 328 ,330,335 and year .
If you were unlucky enough to get the 2010 model base stereo you won't have tweeters
or an amp.

Last edited by ctuna; 12-13-2011 at 08:36 PM.
ctuna is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-13-2011, 08:42 PM   #5
issabmw
cool beans
 
Drives: E30|E90|Godzilla
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sunshine State

Posts: 1,364
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
For instance every 06 330 in the US came with Logic 7 and I think the first year or
two of 335's did to. If you have and 09 or earlier and you look at the amp
in the trunk the Logic 7 amp is silver in color and the Hi Fi amp is black.
The Logic 7 has 13 speakers and the Hi fi has 10 ,tweeters are counted as speakers. If you read those pdf's the amp location is shown . Its under the plastic toolkit in some cars. There will be a grill in the dash speaker between the to vents on the dash in logic 7 . That same space on a Hi Fi will be solid plastic.
Thanks for your help.

When I removed the piece in the trunk next to the rear left tail-light, it revealed a silver, ribbed console, which probably means I have logic 7. All I know is nowhere in my trunk do I have a black unit. The bluetooth module under my floormat is silver and the module next to the rear taillight is silver as well.

I don't have any surround sound presets in my radio's menu though. Only an equalizer.

Do you know which fuses could be responsible for this? I swapped some fuses that were shown on the fuse-box diagram but no luck.
issabmw is offline   Lebanon
0
Reply With Quote
      12-13-2011, 09:18 PM   #6
ctuna
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca

Posts: 4,031
iTrader: (0)

equilizer = logic 7

I have been told there is a switch to turn logic 7 on and off.
There have been 3 or 4 people that have reported the same problem within
the last week or two, and I believe they all had logic 7 .
ctuna is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2011, 12:52 PM   #7
ctuna
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca

Posts: 4,031
iTrader: (0)

The guy in this post repairs L7 amps

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=519306&page=3

There is also some interesting stuff on what happens when they start to go bad.
It looks like he can upgrade the output stages to.

Last edited by ctuna; 12-14-2011 at 01:10 PM.
ctuna is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2011, 11:48 PM   #8
bimmer03231984
Private
 
bimmer03231984's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw 325i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: utah

Posts: 51
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
the same thing happened to me. everything seems fine but no audio right? if you turn the volume knob and don't see any indicators, i think you have to reprogram the radio.
bimmer03231984 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2011, 12:19 AM   #9
ctuna
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca

Posts: 4,031
iTrader: (0)

Don't have an l7 but sounds like the amp is bad

http://www.bmwgm5.com/Logic7_6941681.htm
these guys repair amps you could give them a call.

There are a bunch of radio fuses you could check that.
Blown L7 amps seem to be the common problem comes up
over and over on this board.

I haven't seen a report of a radio loosing its programming here yet.
But I don't know that its impossible.

Last edited by ctuna; 12-15-2011 at 12:53 AM.
ctuna is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-29-2012, 10:35 AM   #10
johnnyg238
Drive it like you stole it
 
Drives: 2013 Mineral Grey 328i sedan
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

Posts: 158
iTrader: (0)

radio reprogram and done...I just had this done for my bimmer.
johnnyg238 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-29-2012, 10:08 PM   #11
issabmw
cool beans
 
Drives: E30|E90|Godzilla
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sunshine State

Posts: 1,364
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg238 View Post
radio reprogram and done...I just had this done for my bimmer.
Where did you have it reprogrammed?
issabmw is offline   Lebanon
0
Reply With Quote
      01-29-2012, 10:53 PM   #12
johnnyg238
Drive it like you stole it
 
Drives: 2013 Mineral Grey 328i sedan
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

Posts: 158
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by issabmw View Post
Where did you have it reprogrammed?
Dealership under warranty
johnnyg238 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2012, 11:12 PM   #13
hboss1217
Private First Class
 
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe 6 MT
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ft Lauderdale, FL

Posts: 130
iTrader: (4)

Where's this guy in fort lauderdale? I'd hope he could help me!!
hboss1217 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #14
alex76
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: BMW 330 06
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Houston, Texas

Posts: 34
iTrader: (0)

my logic 7 went dead and was diagnosed at dealership. Dont think about replacement because it's way too expensive for this crap sounds ( twice times more than a real audiolphile ROTEL amp which is carrying 200W/ channel)! I decided to drive without the sound..... my car is 2006 330i with no warranty.
alex76 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST