E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > JB4 Tuning Melbourne



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-18-2011, 08:08 PM   #1
BMWGTR
Second Lieutenant
BMWGTR's Avatar
6
Rep
250
Posts

 
Drives: E93 M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

JB4 Tuning Melbourne

Hey everyone,

Does anybody have any experience with JB4 tuning in Melbourne? Where can I source/install/tune a unit?

Everyone seems to be using Procede...I just find the JB4 unit much simpler/user friendly and I like that it isn't locked.

Thanks.

Last edited by BMWGTR; 12-18-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
pcockley
Banned
21
Rep
1,732
Posts

 
Drives: 335
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: sydney

iTrader: (1)

everything you need to know (well almost) is on n54tech http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10605. As for tuning the JB4 pick a map mostlikely 5 if this is the only mod and hold on!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 08:38 PM   #3
BMWGTR
Second Lieutenant
BMWGTR's Avatar
6
Rep
250
Posts

 
Drives: E93 M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

What sort of power gains are we looking at for stock application of map 5?
Also, is it safe to run map 5 with a stock car?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 08:44 PM   #4
RaihaX
Major General
RaihaX's Avatar
Australia
65
Rep
5,029
Posts

 
Drives: 08' 135i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Australia, Perth

iTrader: (2)

Map 5 should be fine since it would be autotune.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 09:02 PM   #5
pcockley
Banned
21
Rep
1,732
Posts

 
Drives: 335
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: sydney

iTrader: (1)

40odd rwkw on 5 would be my guess. Or to put it another way nill traction in 1st and 2nd with RFT's in WOT.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 01:30 AM   #6
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
45
Rep
3,464
Posts

 
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Melbourne Australia

iTrader: (0)

You might like to ask Andrew Brien from Southern BM. Andrew installed my BMS Powerbox unit in my 325i back in November 09 for a very fair price.

Andrew certainly knows his BMWs.
__________________
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 01:35 AM   #7
RaihaX
Major General
RaihaX's Avatar
Australia
65
Rep
5,029
Posts

 
Drives: 08' 135i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Australia, Perth

iTrader: (2)

I suggest you try installing it yourself is not hard at all!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 02:55 AM   #8
BMWGTR
Second Lieutenant
BMWGTR's Avatar
6
Rep
250
Posts

 
Drives: E93 M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David325Australia View Post
You might like to ask Andrew Brien from Southern BM. Andrew installed my BMS Powerbox unit in my 325i back in November 09 for a very fair price.

Andrew certainly knows his BMWs.
I spoke to someone at Southern BM today (it wasn't Andrew) and was quoted around the 1500 dollar mark to get to 220ish kW (basic tune) and around the 12,000-13,000k mark for 250-260 rwkw. Experience has its value but I'd rather buy all the parts myself and pay my own tuner to install/tune for essentially the same result.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 02:58 AM   #9
RaihaX
Major General
RaihaX's Avatar
Australia
65
Rep
5,029
Posts

 
Drives: 08' 135i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Australia, Perth

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGTR View Post
I spoke to someone at Southern BM today (it wasn't Andrew) and was quoted around the 1500 dollar mark to get to 220ish kW (basic tune) and around the 12,000-13,000k mark for 250-260 rwkw. Experience has its value but I'd rather buy all the parts myself and pay my own tuner to install/tune for essentially the same result.
$1500?!??! for what??? a tune??

$12,000 and $13,000 for what again!?!?!

DP - $800
FMIC - $800 - $1200
Intake - $100-$300 (Dinan $1000++)
Tune - $500 - $1000
Meth - $500 - $1500

DP + FMIC + tune should get you 250-260kw....
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 03:22 AM   #10
BMWGTR
Second Lieutenant
BMWGTR's Avatar
6
Rep
250
Posts

 
Drives: E93 M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Yeah, I said the figures seemed excessive, but was told that Euro vs Jap is a completely different ball game (I spent around 6k on my GTR and got 330awkw easily).

Even so, given parts and labour, how much would I be paying for 'expertise'?

I'm ordering all my parts off Stuart and will get my Jap mechanic to install/tune everything. Job done.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 03:23 AM   #11
RaihaX
Major General
RaihaX's Avatar
Australia
65
Rep
5,029
Posts

 
Drives: 08' 135i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Australia, Perth

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGTR View Post
Yeah, I said the figures seemed excessive, but was told that Euro vs Jap is a completely different ball game (I spent around 6k on my GTR and got 330awkw easily).

Even so, given parts and labour, how much would I be paying for 'expertise'?

I'm ordering all my parts off Stuart and will get my Jap mechanic to install/tune everything. Job done.
I would do that and wouldn't pay 13k unless it involves FBO + Meth + Upgraded turbo
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 04:19 AM   #12
woosh
Colonel
woosh's Avatar
Australia
34
Rep
2,240
Posts

 
Drives: Canyonero SUV
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGTR View Post
Yeah, I said the figures seemed excessive, but was told that Euro vs Jap is a completely different ball game (I spent around 6k on my GTR and got 330awkw easily).

Even so, given parts and labour, how much would I be paying for 'expertise'?

I'm ordering all my parts off Stuart and will get my Jap mechanic to install/tune everything. Job done.
Reminds me of the AR Downpipe group buy thread...

It's good to see you using Stuart to get the parts in. I need to hit him up too for some BMWP gear.

Ray's on the ball here. Under 3k excluding labour will get you to ~250rwkw.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 05:45 PM   #13
pcockley
Banned
21
Rep
1,732
Posts

 
Drives: 335
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: sydney

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGTR View Post
I spoke to someone at Southern BM today (it wasn't Andrew) and was quoted around the 1500 dollar mark to get to 220ish kW (basic tune) and around the 12,000-13,000k mark for 250-260 rwkw. Experience has its value but I'd rather buy all the parts myself and pay my own tuner to install/tune for essentially the same result.
sounds like sucker tax IMHO

There is a heap of info on e90, I would suggest you do a lot of reading and buy the parts direct from the states. I do think that getting someone with BMW and specifically N54 experisnce is worth paying a little extra for. For example the DP's are a pain in the arse regardless of where you go but, someone who has done it before will know a couple of short cuts.

Even with a trunk mount meth kit I wouldn't pay half that amount for FBO.

Hay another thought, at those prices you could drive to Advan drop off the car, get taxi to airport, spend the week in Fiji, taxi to Advan drive home and still have a few dollars in your pocket!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 08:01 PM   #14
RaihaX
Major General
RaihaX's Avatar
Australia
65
Rep
5,029
Posts

 
Drives: 08' 135i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Australia, Perth

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcockley View Post
sounds like sucker tax IMHO

There is a heap of info on e90, I would suggest you do a lot of reading and buy the parts direct from the states. I do think that getting someone with BMW and specifically N54 experisnce is worth paying a little extra for. For example the DP's are a pain in the arse regardless of where you go but, someone who has done it before will know a couple of short cuts.

Even with a trunk mount meth kit I wouldn't pay half that amount for FBO.

Hay another thought, at those prices you could drive to Advan drop off the car, get taxi to airport, spend the week in Fiji, taxi to Advan drive home and still have a few dollars in your pocket!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 09:52 PM   #15
BMWGTR
Second Lieutenant
BMWGTR's Avatar
6
Rep
250
Posts

 
Drives: E93 M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcockley View Post
sounds like sucker tax IMHO

There is a heap of info on e90, I would suggest you do a lot of reading and buy the parts direct from the states. I do think that getting someone with BMW and specifically N54 experisnce is worth paying a little extra for. For example the DP's are a pain in the arse regardless of where you go but, someone who has done it before will know a couple of short cuts.

Even with a trunk mount meth kit I wouldn't pay half that amount for FBO.

Hay another thought, at those prices you could drive to Advan drop off the car, get taxi to airport, spend the week in Fiji, taxi to Advan drive home and still have a few dollars in your pocket!
LOL.
That price did include work to the diff too though in order to help ground extra power. Still......

Can't wait to get my stuff . The JB4 is already on the way, supporting mods will soon follow.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 10:28 PM   #16
pcockley
Banned
21
Rep
1,732
Posts

 
Drives: 335
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: sydney

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGTR View Post
LOL.
That price did include work to the diff too though in order to help ground extra power. Still......

Can't wait to get my stuff . The JB4 is already on the way, supporting mods will soon follow.
getting power down is imho always the most important thing! that being said an LSD is great for the track but a better investment for the road/track has to be a set of propper tyres, you can shove a PSS 275 under the rear guard without any mods and for my money that's much better than any diff
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 11:14 PM   #17
MFKN3
Colonel
MFKN3's Avatar
Australia
40
Rep
2,043
Posts

 
Drives: 4.5L stroker s/c E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Australia

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGTR View Post
I spoke to someone at Southern BM today (it wasn't Andrew) and was quoted around the 1500 dollar mark to get to 220ish kW (basic tune) and around the 12,000-13,000k mark for 250-260 rwkw. Experience has its value but I'd rather buy all the parts myself and pay my own tuner to install/tune for essentially the same result.
Either sounds like a fkn good deal to me, as that would inlcude labour and a diff which most people overlook. Everyone who goes LSD say it's the best mod. The M3 with either stock 255's or the 295's on it now lays down the power 100x better than the stage 3+ 335i without LSD. Andrew also uses quality brands and would no doubt dyno and test/tune everything afterwards.

Installing DP's yourself is a prick of a job, well worth the $$$ to get someone else to do it. The best thing I ever did with the M3 was get Andrew to install everything and custom tune it. Pickup and drive away and haven't had 1 problem. The best part is, he loves it and is so enthusiatic about BMW's. The 335i was a nightmare, many lost weekends fk'ing around with tune firmware, aligning DP's cause they were hitting heat shield, silicone collars popping off the FMIC under boost, meth controller problems, jacking it up 500 times and removing those ~18 f'ing under tray bolts by hand... ended up calling the car "Hitler"
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 11:48 PM   #18
RaihaX
Major General
RaihaX's Avatar
Australia
65
Rep
5,029
Posts

 
Drives: 08' 135i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Australia, Perth

iTrader: (2)

well depend on what tune JB4 for $1500 installed is a rip off, the Procede is still more reasonable but still very easy to install yourself and very easy to play around with the firmware

Still think the 12-13k option is still overpriced FBO is $3000 on parts alone, it would be about $1000 at most to install.

LSD I am not familiar on how much it cost for manual gearbox but for my auto is about $2500 installed. so that comes up to $6500?

Though I have heard SouthernBM being really good not sure if I would pay 2x for experience IMO.

Last edited by RaihaX; 12-19-2011 at 11:56 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 11:54 PM   #19
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes's Avatar
96
Rep
4,873
Posts


 
Drives: a black car
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (3)

Andrew sells and supports Procedes, so yeh the $1,500 quote was for a Procede.

I believe in the $13k quote he included an LSD, upgraded oil cooler, intercooler and labour so that accounts for a fair chunk of the quote.

Imo an LSD is pretty important, but depending on what you want out of your car, it's something you should weigh up after driving the car with proper rubber for a little while to determine how necessary it is.

I have since spoken to the OP and he is ordering:
- JB4
- AR DPs
- ER Charge Pipe w/ Tial BOV
- BMS DCI
- BMS WW Meth Kit

So he has all the good 'bang for your buck' mods covered.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 11:56 PM   #20
RaihaX
Major General
RaihaX's Avatar
Australia
65
Rep
5,029
Posts

 
Drives: 08' 135i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Australia, Perth

iTrader: (2)

looks like it will be real fun for him soon enough!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 12:18 AM   #21
pcockley
Banned
21
Rep
1,732
Posts

 
Drives: 335
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: sydney

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmroxm5 View Post
Andrew sells and supports Procedes, so yeh the $1,500 quote was for a Procede.

I believe in the $13k quote he included an LSD, upgraded oil cooler, intercooler and labour so that accounts for a fair chunk of the quote.

Imo an LSD is pretty important, but depending on what you want out of your car, it's something you should weigh up after driving the car with proper rubber for a little while to determine how necessary it is.

I have since spoken to the OP and he is ordering:
- JB4
- AR DPs
- ER Charge Pipe w/ Tial BOV
- BMS DCI
- BMS WW Meth Kit

So he has all the good 'bang for your buck' mods covered.
Lets do the math

LSD pumpkin swap 2k
FMIC 1k
JB4 500
DP's 1k
CP + DV's 500
DCI 100
Meth 500
Oil cooler 1k
labour 16 hours 1.6k
total under 8k

worst case you have welded diff add 3k
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 01:30 AM   #22
MFKN3
Colonel
MFKN3's Avatar
Australia
40
Rep
2,043
Posts

 
Drives: 4.5L stroker s/c E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Australia

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcockley View Post
Lets do the math

LSD pumpkin swap 2k
FMIC 1k
JB4 500
DP's 1k
CP + DV's 500
DCI 100
Meth 500
Oil cooler 1k
labour 16 hours 1.6k
total under 8k

worst case you have welded diff add 3k
Not trying to stir the pot but all that in 16hrs @ 100 per

No decent BMW specialist would use burgers stuff either. It works, but is cheap for a reason. Sounds like OP is happy though, DIY goes alright, will just need to set aside a lot of spare time
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:24 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST