E90Post
 


VIBE Motorsports
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Crankshaft sensor & Transmission?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-19-2011, 10:32 AM   #1
96vette
0
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2006 325i
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Orleans

Posts: 44
iTrader: (1)

Crankshaft sensor & Transmission?

2006 E90 325i

Can a faulty crankshaft sensor cause the transmission to go into limp mode?

I'm getting the following codes:

2A94 - crankshaft sensor

event 1: volts @ Terminal 87 = 14.12 engine speed 0
event 2: volts @ Terminal 87 = 12.90 engine speed 0

51A7 - gearbox control unit

A116 - gear lever (GWS)


Both times this occured while driving at highway speeds I could feel a shutter then the car would enter limp mode with a Transmission malfunction message "Gear lever not engaged". stopping and restarting will return everything back to normal.


Has anyone had experience with this issue?
__________________
2006 325i
2004 F150
1996 Corvette
96vette is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2011, 05:28 PM   #2
96vette
0
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2006 325i
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New Orleans

Posts: 44
iTrader: (1)

FYI... it was indeed the Crankshaft sensor. Not easy to replace but it solved the problem.
__________________
2006 325i
2004 F150
1996 Corvette
96vette is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
hillhucker
0
New Member
 
Drives: 07 E92 335
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Arkansas

Posts: 9
iTrader: (0)

^ thanks for the info. My wife's '07 328 just threw the 2a94 code. I figured it was the sensor

Last edited by hillhucker; 05-17-2012 at 10:08 PM.
hillhucker is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      09-23-2012, 10:50 PM   #4
TheTal0n
5
Lieutenant
 
TheTal0n's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Utah

Posts: 532
iTrader: (0)

Did you have any other codes? My transmission is going into limp mode, and sometimes its followed by electronics malfunction with about 3 other malfunctions.
TheTal0n is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #5
BoogeyMan'sBMW
15
Major
 
BoogeyMan'sBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: SLOW
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Queens NY

Posts: 1,334
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTal0n View Post
Did you have any other codes? My transmission is going into limp mode, and sometimes its followed by electronics malfunction with about 3 other malfunctions.
What was the result of your issue?

I had a similar problem as this OP and it went away after changing the crankshaft sensor but now its back. Same codes thrown originally 2a94 crankshaft sensor, gearbox control unit and reverse gear not engaged.

The codes on idrive are transmission malfunction, dsc inactive, trms inactive and the tranny is running in limp mode.

I have a feeling now its an electric issue I just don't know where to start
BoogeyMan'sBMW is offline   Bangladesh
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-11-2013, 10:38 PM   #6
TheTal0n
5
Lieutenant
 
TheTal0n's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Utah

Posts: 532
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyMan'sBMW View Post
What was the result of your issue?

I had a similar problem as this OP and it went away after changing the crankshaft sensor but now its back. Same codes thrown originally 2a94 crankshaft sensor, gearbox control unit and reverse gear not engaged.

The codes on idrive are transmission malfunction, dsc inactive, trms inactive and the tranny is running in limp mode.

I have a feeling now its an electric issue I just don't know where to start
Mine was a handful of exposed wires that had partially broken located in the DME box, I just wrapped them with electric tape as best as I could. The wires were fragile feeling, so I dont dare repair them more "cleaner". Maybe give yours a look! been solid ever since!!


The mechanic at the bmw dealer gave me the glorious idea to check the DME wires.
TheTal0n is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      11-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #7
BoogeyMan'sBMW
15
Major
 
BoogeyMan'sBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: SLOW
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Queens NY

Posts: 1,334
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTal0n View Post
Mine was a handful of exposed wires that had partially broken located in the DME box, I just wrapped them with electric tape as best as I could. The wires were fragile feeling, so I dont dare repair them more "cleaner". Maybe give yours a look! been solid ever since!!


The mechanic at the bmw dealer gave me the glorious idea to check the DME wires.
One of the pins from my pbx came loose, which is what caused it for me.

The white wire bundle from the pbx goes to the crankshaft sensor if anyone has this issue.
BoogeyMan'sBMW is offline   Bangladesh
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:27 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST