E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > US Air Intake Mod (EURO MOD) Pics Inside.

12-21-2011, 05:07 PM   #1
DJ Apex
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

US Air Intake Mod (EURO MOD) Pics Inside.

Ok so since i swaped back to my US air box from my loud usless Injen Intake.
Ive noticed more LOW END TQ. But ive lost a little bit of TOP END not alot but i can tell.

So i was thinking why can we just drill 4 holes add a adapter plate for a cone filter and remove our crappy paper one add a small cone filter and bolt it all up. Well it was very easy.
I love it ive noticed the gain in low end tq is still there but top end still pulls hard as well.

So for the cost of $380 - $420 for euro box. I made mine for the cost of $40

It dose the job and im still gonna invest in a euro box just to see on a dyno if my Euro (US modded) box makes the same HP as the REAL EURO Intake.

Dont hate on the crappy cut outs they are all sanded down and are all even.
Also anyone wanan gimie there US stock box for trade for my injen plus $50 Cash??

Cone filter specs for perfect fitment and still leaves box with room to close
5.5 In. Od Base/4.75 In. Od Top, H-6.25 In

Parts Used from local auto parts
Spectre - 8148 (Air intake flange mount) <--- Its plastic and u will need two to mount back to back. Since our US box has a curve in like a velocity stack. pics will show u what i mean. Since one will work it just wont mount flush it will leave a gap on eather side. So two mounted back to back makes a nice fitment and fits very snug. You will need to cut out a bit of the mount once its recessed in or else MAF wont fit. You will also need a Few bolts & nuts.
K time for PICSSS

Stock Box

Drilled holes for mounting flange to box

Flange part number and Flange

Flange mounted

Cut flange for MAF to fit

Flange fitment

Bolts and nuts

Box 80% done

Shot of filter and box bolted all up

Hope u guys like it and im excited to see what the HATERS gotta say!
Have A Marry Xmas Guys!!!!
Appreciate 1
      12-21-2011, 05:23 PM   #2
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Freak Beast

I was tinkering with the exact idea few months ago. how did it turn out? Sound responsiveness?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
DJ Apex
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydever View Post
I was tinkering with the exact idea few months ago. how did it turn out? Sound responsiveness?
I LOVE IT
Sounds like my injen at 5k since i made the cut out in the front lid.
Responsiveness - Much better on low end and x2 on top end (Moves Like Jagger)
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 06:04 PM   #4
gtabfknkdnme
5 Star General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82, F30

I like the idea and creativeness. Did u just bolt the stock box up like normal?

What would be the difference if you did this with the cone filter in or just a regular k&n drop in? Slit or no slit...
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 06:08 PM   #5
DJ Apex
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtabfknkdnme View Post
I like the idea and creativeness. Did u just bolt the stock box up like normal?

What would be the difference if you did this with the cone filter in or just a regular k&n drop in? Slit or no slit...
yes it mounts the same bolts up the same and all.
k&n is good but its a oiled filter and our MAFS no like oil.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 07:55 PM   #6
gtabfknkdnme
5 Star General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82, F30

I'm talking in terms of performance. So let's say a non oiled high flow drop in
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 09:37 PM   #7
DJ Apex
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtabfknkdnme View Post
I'm talking in terms of performance. So let's say a non oiled high flow drop in
oh idk i had a stock air box with k&n and i hated it cause it was oiled i havent used a non oiled in the stock box so idk. But with my injen intake the trottle was amazing but performance was crap! the best combo i got was stock box autozone filter charcole delete and scoops . I loved that set up until now
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 10:14 AM   #8
Snyperx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i (SOLD)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
What are the jagged rectangular holes you made? Also would riveting the flange into the box work instead of screws? Thought it might make the install look cleaner and not have to worry about the nuts work themselves loose.
      12-22-2011, 10:59 AM   #9
DJ Apex
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyperx View Post
What are the jagged rectangular holes you made? Also would riveting the flange into the box work instead of screws? Thought it might make the install look cleaner and not have to worry about the nuts work themselves loose.
They are no longer jagged anymore and they are put there to pull more air from front by headlight and one on the side by the inner finder cover.

I was thinking about riveting them in as well but i put locktight on back of nut just in cause cause i wanted to be able to remove this mod for testing on dyno. And reinstall bolts with plastic washers for night air tight fit.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 02:38 PM   #10
ChrisJadesFireF82
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F82 M4

this is such a smart creative awesome mod...good work...i finally stopped being lazy myself and i did my charcoal del/k&n drop in/scoops mod...i wish i saw or thought of this beforehand lol i also seen the new afe intake they came out with for our cars and had slits in the box similar(what im assuming) to what you did and im intrigued by the idea....maybe ina few months ill think about doing a similar mod do you truly feel a diference from before?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 02:49 PM   #11
mapleridge
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 N52 AT

I think this mod plus mr.5's Air from the bumper would be best.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 04:07 PM   #12
DJ Apex
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCharcoalE92 View Post
this is such a smart creative awesome mod...good work...i finally stopped being lazy myself and i did my charcoal del/k&n drop in/scoops mod...i wish i saw or thought of this beforehand lol i also seen the new afe intake they came out with for our cars and had slits in the box similar(what im assuming) to what you did and im intrigued by the idea....maybe ina few months ill think about doing a similar mod do you truly feel a diference from before?
yes stock box no cut outs feels same as box with cut outs.
I love it but again i wont have dyno numbers till next month
so ill keep u guys posted
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 11:30 PM   #13
adamsclubs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i sedan

I have one concern, see if anyone agrees.

First I must say this is one of the more interesting and clever intake mods.

The conern is, the inert used to attach the flange, reduces the diameter of the air intake tube where the MAF sits.

My understanding of the MAF is, it measures the air mass by how fast the air flow cools the heated wire. Such cooling is proportional to the mass of air passing directly against the wire, removing heat from it.

When the tube diameter is reduced, for the same amount of air that is passing through, the velocity of the air increases, therefore more heat is removed from the wire, the MAF then reads the air mass more than when the tube is not inserted.

If the ECU reads more air, it will deliver more fuel to maintain the designed A/F ratio. Potentially this mod will enrich the fuel content, or reduce the A/F ratio.

Of course this may not be a bad thing, because we know those tunes also increase the fuel delivery and reduce the A/F ratio, in order to generate more power.

What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 12:28 AM   #14
issabmw
cool beans
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsclubs View Post

The conern is, the inert used to attach the flange, reduces the diameter of the air intake tube where the MAF sits.

My understanding of the MAF is, it measures the air mass by how fast the air flow cools the heated wire. Such cooling is proportional to the mass of air passing directly against the wire, removing heat from it.

When the tube diameter is reduced, for the same amount of air that is passing through, the velocity of the air increases, therefore more heat is removed from the wire, the MAF then reads the air mass more than when the tube is not inserted.

If the ECU reads more air, it will deliver more fuel to maintain the designed A/F ratio. Potentially this mod will enrich the fuel content, or reduce the A/F ratio.

Of course this may not be a bad thing, because we know those tunes also increase the fuel delivery and reduce the A/F ratio, in order to generate more power.

What do you guys think?
I think its marginal, if not insufficient for a diameter reduction of this magnitude.

For N52 engines, since we have a little something called valvetronic, the lift will variate to compensate for the increase, meaning we will actually see a slight decrease in fuel utilization if your theory is correct.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 12:39 AM   #15
DJ Apex
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

What do you guys think?
But reduceing the inlet tube by the thinkness of a penny shouldnt really be that much of a issue. Plus i removed a section of plastic from the flange to let the maf sit in the factory location.

All other aftermarket system incress the amount of air but having it as a open element. But they also let it pull it less cold air. Due to being opend to the motor heat.

To my understanding cold air is more dense and makes for better combustion and makes for better A/F mixture.

But like i said ill be doing a dyno next month with stock air box and stock paper filter. stock air box with k&n drop in. Stock air box with (EURO MOD). Injen Intake. And i hope to have a real EURO BOX by then to compare all boxes and mods done with.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 10:11 AM   #16
adamsclubs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Apex View Post
But reduceing the inlet tube by the thinkness of a penny shouldnt really be that much of a issue. Plus i removed a section of plastic from the flange to let the maf sit in the factory location.

All other aftermarket system incress the amount of air but having it as a open element. But they also let it pull it less cold air. Due to being opend to the motor heat.

To my understanding cold air is more dense and makes for better combustion and makes for better A/F mixture.

But like i said ill be doing a dyno next month with stock air box and stock paper filter. stock air box with k&n drop in. Stock air box with (EURO MOD). Injen Intake. And i hope to have a real EURO BOX by then to compare all boxes and mods done with.
When you do the dynos, make sure they also log the before and after A/F graphs.

If you look at the dyno charts for the new aFe stage 2 intake for the N52, which is identical to your mod, it resulted in much lower A/F after 4000 RPM.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 12:04 PM   #17
DJ Apex
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
When you do the dynos, make sure they also log the before and after A/F graphs.

If you look at the dyno charts for the new aFe stage 2 intake for the N52, which is identical to your mod, it resulted in much lower A/F after 4000 RPM.
will do i keep u posted it
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 12:31 PM   #18
DJ Apex
Lieutenant
Rep

sound clip of intake

Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 01:14 PM   #19
iczz
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90 / F10 / F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Apex View Post
sounds good.

you drove over your camera.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 01:17 PM   #20
DJ Apex
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iczz View Post
sounds good.

you drove over your camera.
i know i wanna do it at higher speeds like 80 mph but i know the cam will flip over
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 02:20 PM   #21
N0OS3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

So what would you officially call your mod? the OEM Cone Intake mod? or something more creative... like "the Apex mod" ? lol
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 03:08 PM   #22
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
"Hope u guys like it and im excited to see what the HATERS gotta say!
Have A Marry Xmas Guys!!!!"

Love it. Creative and courageous
Appreciate 0