E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Tick that follows RPM? Doesn't sound like lifter tick

01-10-2017, 11:36 AM   #1
noah.s
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Tick that follows RPM? Doesn't sound like lifter tick

I noticed a tick the other day that is follows RPM, faster as it goes higher.
It doesn't sound like the N52 lifter tick issue, I have had that before and this doesn't sound like it. It also doesn't get louder with the oil fil cap open, I can't even hear it when the cap is open.
It's very faint when the hood is open and only gets slightly louder as RPMs go up. I can hear it much better from the drivers seat with the window down or door open. The only reason I noticed it was when I got on the throttle from a stop with the window down and it was very noticeable. It sounded like a metallic rattle then but when I checked it out it's definitely a tick.

Any idea what this could be? What else would cause a tick like this?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 10:38 PM   #2
noah.s
First Lieutenant
Rep

So I think I found the cause of the tapping. It was weird because it sounded more like flapping/slapping when I get on the throttle, not a tick.
My belt is starting to shred and a chunk was slapping the air intake and other things I'm sure. What's weird is that it's a relatively new belt, along with the tensioner and idler pulley less, all replaced less than 8k miles ago.

Here are some pictures.

The only thing I can think of it being was that for some reason the auto transmission cooler wasn't bolted to the fan assembly when I bought the car. It was just sitting there free to bounce around. I ordered a bolt and secured it when I did my radiator not too long ago. It might have jumped up on a big bump and tagged the belt. I noticed a piece of the belt coming apart when I did my radiator a couple weeks ago and ordered a new belt, just hadn't put it on yet. Good thing I decided to pull it off tonight!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 11:13 PM   #3
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

Make sure the bolt for the tensioner is still ok. I've seen people reuse the bolt and have it back out. Its a one time use bolt
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 12:59 PM   #4
noah.s
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteblue3er View Post
Make sure the bolt for the tensioner is still ok. I've seen people reuse the bolt and have it back out. Its a one time use bolt
Tensioner seems fine. When I replaced it I used a new bolt. I'm pretty sure my alternator pulley is going bad so that's getting replaced soon, I just got the part in last night. When I replace it I'll check all the other pulley again and see if I can find any issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 06:13 PM   #5
gunnerxq
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

There's a small tolerance when putting on the belt. It's possible that it was rubbing somewhere in the assembly.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 08:09 PM   #6
noah.s
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerxq View Post
There's a small tolerance when putting on the belt. It's possible that it was rubbing somewhere in the assembly.
I looked for anywhere it might had rubbed, and there are some spots that are rarely close to cheap edges. To me, the belt didn't look like it was rubbing/cut into from the side, it looked like they damage was to the top of the belt.

I think it was something that happened recently. I've pulled the belt off multiple times for various reasons since I replaced it and there was no damage.

The first time I noticed damage when when I changed the radiator. It was only a few hundred miles after that it got bad. I saw the shreds of the fabric of the belt stuck to everything in the engine bay when I just changed it.

I'm an idiot for driving it after I first saw the damage! I'm so lucky it didn't shred.

Last edited by noah.s; 01-17-2017 at 08:18 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 12:02 AM   #7
gunnerxq
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

How are your motor mounts? They might be bad causing your motor to move too much possibly allowing the belt to rub on the top somewhere.
Bilstein B8 Euro-spec struts, Bilstein B8 shocks, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 09:19 AM   #8
noah.s
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerxq View Post
How are your motor mounts? They might be bad causing your motor to move too much possibly allowing the belt to rub on the top somewhere.
That's definitely a possibility, they're definitely shot at 160k.
Appreciate 0