E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > US Air Intake Mod (EURO MOD) Pics Inside.



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-16-2012, 12:12 PM   #67
jokers_greg
Master of Montego Blue
jokers_greg's Avatar
Canada
4
Rep
254
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW 323i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 BMW 323i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
I am referring to how two of the plastic 3" adapters had to be used in order to make an air tight seal. There is a slight gap around the square base of the adapter that makes using two a necessity. I am hoping the 4" one will cover it completely. Check the picture. The red box is where i'm thinking the 4" adapter I bought should cover the gap. You can see the gap I am referring to with the green arrow. And the filters I am looking at with the 4" fitament are available in the same range of width / length as the 3" inlet one, so there shouldn't be any problems there either.
Let us know how it goes! I'm on the brink of doing this mod myself, but if the 4" adapters work then I may go that way!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 09:37 AM   #68
axis
First Lieutenant
United_States
6
Rep
343
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 Steel Gray C 300
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Florida

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokers_greg View Post
Let us know how it goes! I'm on the brink of doing this mod myself, but if the 4" adapters work then I may go that way!
Yeah I will def let everyone know when I get all the parts. I ordered the adapter from amazon and it's been backordered for about a month now. Supposed to come in the 19th - 24th or some crap like that. I could have ordered it somewhere else but I use amazon for the majority of things since I've never once had a problem with them.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 11:31 AM   #69
carlos916
Semper Fi
carlos916's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
405
Posts

 
Drives: 08 328i / 05 R6
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sac Town

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [2.50]
I was so thinking about this mod a long time ago also but didnt have the huevos to do it lol I was actually trying to find someone local that has an actual eurobox and compare so that way I could get an idea of what to do so I could make a home made one also.. But urs looks spot on and yeah keep us updated on it and maybe a vid from da engine compartment once done! GL!!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 01:55 AM   #70
DJ Apex
Lieutenant
DJ Apex's Avatar
11
Rep
479
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Houston TX

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos916 View Post
I was so thinking about this mod a long time ago also but didnt have the huevos to do it lol I was actually trying to find someone local that has an actual eurobox and compare so that way I could get an idea of what to do so I could make a home made one also.. But urs looks spot on and yeah keep us updated on it and maybe a vid from da engine compartment once done! GL!!
nice ive got vids of mine ill upload later tomarrow
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 10:25 PM   #71
jokers_greg
Master of Montego Blue
jokers_greg's Avatar
Canada
4
Rep
254
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW 323i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 BMW 323i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Yeah I will def let everyone know when I get all the parts. I ordered the adapter from amazon and it's been backordered for about a month now. Supposed to come in the 19th - 24th or some crap like that. I could have ordered it somewhere else but I use amazon for the majority of things since I've never once had a problem with them.
perfect, I'll be following the thread! thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #72
jokers_greg
Master of Montego Blue
jokers_greg's Avatar
Canada
4
Rep
254
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW 323i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 BMW 323i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Apex View Post
nice ive got vids of mine ill upload later tomarrow
get on that!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 02:46 PM   #73
kiwi29
Team iTouge
kiwi29's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
2,074
Posts

 
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA

iTrader: (9)

I hate it ! why? because i couldn't do it first lol it looks legit and this way, you can run any cone without cops messing with you to be "carb legal"
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I'm going to use a very simple analogy, I hope you'll understand.
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 03:10 AM   #74
kiwi29
Team iTouge
kiwi29's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
2,074
Posts

 
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA

iTrader: (9)

Couldn't you also just used one mount and seal it up with silicon or jb weld or something of that nature? How much clearance space do you see from your filter to the end of the box?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I'm going to use a very simple analogy, I hope you'll understand.
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 05:24 PM   #75
joe325i
Private
1
Rep
54
Posts

 
Drives: sedona rot 135i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: western mass

iTrader: (0)

sweet im doing this tommorow ! already got the day off!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 11:54 PM   #76
MediaHI
Lieutenant
MediaHI's Avatar
6
Rep
449
Posts

 
Drives: everyday
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: far far away

iTrader: (6)

I did this mod today. Got the wrong filter, but end up just sawing the box open. Sounds pretty good. Will post picture soon
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 11:59 PM   #77
325iii
WAHHH
United_States
4
Rep
120
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325I Sparkling Graphite
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack328iE92 View Post
I did this mod today. Got the wrong filter, but end up just sawing the box open. Sounds pretty good. Will post picture soon
is the sound difference noticeable?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 12:04 AM   #78
MediaHI
Lieutenant
MediaHI's Avatar
6
Rep
449
Posts

 
Drives: everyday
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: far far away

iTrader: (6)

From OEM box? Depends on the RPM. Up to 2500, it sounds OEM. It's slightly louder above that. It's a good increase. Not annoying at all
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 12:17 AM   #79
DJ Apex
Lieutenant
DJ Apex's Avatar
11
Rep
479
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Houston TX

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack328iE92 View Post
From OEM box? Depends on the RPM. Up to 2500, it sounds OEM. It's slightly louder above that. It's a good increase. Not annoying at all
its not as loud as my injen intake but with my openings i did u sure hear it scream at 5.5k to 7.1k sounds so hot<----( not in a gay way)
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 12:28 AM   #80
MediaHI
Lieutenant
MediaHI's Avatar
6
Rep
449
Posts

 
Drives: everyday
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: far far away

iTrader: (6)

I did my opening a little differently because I bought the wrong cone....-_-

The opening is still on the same side, away from the engine
Name:  intake.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  65.1 KB
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 12:40 AM   #81
DJ Apex
Lieutenant
DJ Apex's Avatar
11
Rep
479
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Houston TX

iTrader: (1)

same filter i used lol i cut the fins in the air box to make that filter fit lol
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 12:55 AM   #82
MediaHI
Lieutenant
MediaHI's Avatar
6
Rep
449
Posts

 
Drives: everyday
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: far far away

iTrader: (6)

I didn't buy the one you used/recommend. I bought the one that has the adaptable neck size. It's a bit longer than the fix 3 inch one.

Big mistake because it's about an inch longer and yours. I tried to cut the fins to make it fit, but didn't give..Had to cut the whole piece out. I saw the one you used at AZ, but the worker recommended me to buy the adaptable neck cone..should have gone with my instinct...
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 12:57 AM   #83
DJ Apex
Lieutenant
DJ Apex's Avatar
11
Rep
479
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Houston TX

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack328iE92 View Post
I didn't buy the one you used/recommend. I bought the one that has the adaptable neck size. It's a bit longer than the fix 3 inch one.

Big mistake because it's about an inch longer and yours. I tried to cut the fins to make it fit, but didn't give..Had to cut the whole piece out. I saw the one you used at AZ, but the worker recommended me to buy the adaptable neck cone..should have gone with my instinct...
ouch lol i know that feeling lol ... so how do u like it?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 01:38 AM   #84
MediaHI
Lieutenant
MediaHI's Avatar
6
Rep
449
Posts

 
Drives: everyday
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: far far away

iTrader: (6)

I only test drove it once and haven't had time to drive more yet.

Just like you said, not as loud as Injen. Injen sounded beefier versus this which sounded weak.

I'm not sure if I like the sound coming from this. My first impression after installing it was that the sound varies. From 2.5k up, it sounded louder than OEM Box, but between 2.5-7k, the sound varies for mine. It's loud, then soft, then loud, then soft again as I steadily increase rpm from 2.5-7k. I know that Injen was loud from 2.5 and up and when it reaches 4k, it's breath taking. But this... slightly disappointing. Maybe I just have a high expectation for sound and comparing it to the Injen isn't fair since this only cost 30 bucks...

Overall, I do feel that it's a tad faster, better throttle response, and and it is a great improvement over OEM. I might buy a different filter for sound test. I spent about 50 bucks on this and 2 hours. I say this is one of the best mods I've ever done. Thank you for the DIY! Without your idea, I would have never thought about doing this. Thank you!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 01:54 AM   #85
DJ Apex
Lieutenant
DJ Apex's Avatar
11
Rep
479
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Houston TX

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack328iE92 View Post
I only test drove it once and haven't had time to drive more yet.

Just like you said, not as loud as Injen. Injen sounded beefier versus this which sounded weak.

I'm not sure if I like the sound coming from this. My first impression after installing it was that the sound varies. From 2.5k up, it sounded louder than OEM Box, but between 2.5-7k, the sound varies for mine. It's loud, then soft, then loud, then soft again as I steadily increase rpm from 2.5-7k. I know that Injen was loud from 2.5 and up and when it reaches 4k, it's breath taking. But this... slightly disappointing. Maybe I just have a high expectation for sound and comparing it to the Injen isn't fair since this only cost 30 bucks...

Overall, I do feel that it's a tad faster, better throttle response, and and it is a great improvement over OEM. I might buy a different filter for sound test. I spent about 50 bucks on this and 2 hours. I say this is one of the best mods I've ever done. Thank you for the DIY! Without your idea, I would have never thought about doing this. Thank you!
lol well im glad somone likes it and had the balls to try it aside of me. now what u should do since u cut the big hole out is buy another plastic intake mount flange and see if it wont mount in the opening that u cut and run a flex intake hose down the side were the finder skirt is and the brake cooler duct is and make it a real cold air box. My newer box im working on now has that set up and a set up for open or closed intake cutouts. lol but thats still in R&D in a thread soon to come! lol
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 03:35 AM   #86
MediaHI
Lieutenant
MediaHI's Avatar
6
Rep
449
Posts

 
Drives: everyday
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: far far away

iTrader: (6)

I thought about that, but I read that the gains are only noticeable in the 60-80mph range.

I will look forward to your new design! haha
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 05:17 PM   #87
adamsclubs
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
236
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 328i sedan
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Jack you apparently got the same P2 filter I got. As I said earlier it would not fit, and I did not want to cut my box to make it fit.

The reason was I already had the box cut at a different location and ran a flex tube into the brake duct. Basically I had the enclosed second air duct already.

Using the flat drop in aFe high flow filter, I had more sound and better throttle response so I did not want to mess with the box more.

You guys might as well try the drop in filter after the second air duct is done to see if that is sufficient. I don't think you have to have a cone filter for better sound.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #88
DJ Apex
Lieutenant
DJ Apex's Avatar
11
Rep
479
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Houston TX

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsclubs View Post
Jack you apparently got the same P2 filter I got. As I said earlier it would not fit, and I did not want to cut my box to make it fit.

The reason was I already had the box cut at a different location and ran a flex tube into the brake duct. Basically I had the enclosed second air duct already.

Using the flat drop in aFe high flow filter, I had more sound and better throttle response so I did not want to mess with the box more.

You guys might as well try the drop in filter after the second air duct is done to see if that is sufficient. I don't think you have to have a cone filter for better sound.
thats what im doing right now since my mod can be changed by just removing the cone filter and droping in a flat drop filter back in .
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST