E90Post

N54Tuning.com

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Audi Dealer

05-21-2007, 08:31 AM   #1
NFS
Major General

Drives: 335i m-sport LCI

Audi Dealer

Just dropped into my local Audi dealer (new site) for a look at the new TT.

The car was nice, but much too small. However, the customer service was very strange ... just trying to hard to appear customer focused and exclusive. I had to speak to 3 people before I was led to a display car for a browse. All of who were super friendly, but since I was just having a look it was somewhat unnecessary.

My BMW dealer manages to hit a much more natural tone, being simply polite and business-like - you can wander in and look at a vehicle without being attacked.

It also made me realise just how much focus Audi have on style. If you go back a few years they had an advert which suggested that audi was the understated classy option.

In contrast, I think that is probably more true of BMW now.
      05-21-2007, 09:23 AM   #2
silverbmwz3
Colonel

Drives: E90 335d wheelbarrow

Garage List
I felt the same way about the TT - lovely but you have to be small and thin to fit comfortably in it. I can't stand dealerships that are all over you, especially if you go in at a quiet time when they aren't busy. Our local mercedes is like that and it sometimes feels like they are checking to see if you should be allowed to enter I must've been to my local dealership at least once every month for the past 6-8 months and have hardly ever been asked anything other than the occasional "Can I help you". That's the way I like it.
      05-21-2007, 10:00 AM   #3
NFS
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbmwz3 View Post
I felt the same way about the TT - lovely but you have to be small and thin to fit comfortably in it. I can't stand dealerships that are all over you, especially if you go in at a quiet time when they aren't busy. Our local mercedes is like that and it sometimes feels like they are checking to see if you should be allowed to enter I must've been to my local dealership at least once every month for the past 6-8 months and have hardly ever been asked anything other than the occasional "Can I help you". That's the way I like it.
The TT was like sitting in a little 'cave' - disconcerting that my head was above the roofline / edge of the door.

You're spot on though ... this audi dealer (and the one I went to last time) tried so hard to seem like an exclusive 'club' that it felt uncomfortable.

In contrast BMW were completely unpretentious.
      05-21-2007, 10:05 AM   #4
S4to335
Brigadier General

Drives: 95 Audi S6

Garage List
Guys..this totally depends on the dealership..you cant say that BMW dealers are less pretentious than Audi..that is an idiotic statement. It all depends on when you hit them...what you are wearing..how old you are...how you act..what you say...who you talk to..what kinda day they have had..and whether or not they got lucky last night. This applies to all dealerships. I have been to many dealerships that had idiots working there...both BMW and Audi alike.

Car is now gone .... :-(
S4to335 is offline   United_States
      05-21-2007, 10:11 AM   #5
NFS
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post
Guys..this totally depends on the dealership..you cant say that BMW dealers are less pretentious than Audi..that is an idiotic statement. It all depends on when you hit them...what you are wearing..how old you are...how you act..what you say...who you talk to..what kinda day they have had..and whether or not they got lucky last night. This applies to all dealerships. I have been to many dealerships that had idiots working there...both BMW and Audi alike.
I can say that and it's far from idiotic .. my observation wasn't based on one dealership - it was based on several.

The Audi guys just seem to be trying far to hard in my experience.
      05-21-2007, 10:15 AM   #6
squeezebm
Colonel

Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
I can say that and it's far from idiotic .. my observation wasn't based on one dealership - it was based on several.

The Audi guys just seem to be trying far to hard in my experience.
Easy boys
      05-21-2007, 10:38 AM   #7
Trigger2007
E93 320i M Sport

Drives: 320i M Sport Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post
I can see your comments here, but why should it make a difference if I walk into a dealer wearing Jeans or a suit? Generally the Jeans I wear cost in the region of £150 anyway so its not like a question of affordability.

Based on experience I had a very similar situation at an Audi dealer regarding the TT, apart from the sales guy being very un professional he basically told me that it was upwards on an 8 month wait if I wanted a factory order model.

I actually asked the dealership if they didn't want to sell me the car, as he gave me every reason to believe that he couldn't supply?

I am not sure about the level of training that happens between BMW and Audi, but I certainly feel better looked after when I walk into a BMW dealer than an Audi dealer. In my position as a Sales Director I believe that BMW train there people how to handle customers better.

I was actually very interested in the TT, but in the end spent nearly £38,000 on the new 3 convertible....

BMW E93 320i M Sport - Black Sapphire / Coral Red
Trigger2007 is offline   United Kingdom
      05-21-2007, 07:43 PM   #8
DC-IV

Drives: 07 BMW 320d - 07 Audi TT 2.0T

Quote:
The TT was like sitting in a little 'cave' - disconcerting that my head was above the roofline / edge of the door.

You're spot on though ... this audi dealer (and the one I went to last time) tried so hard to seem like an exclusive 'club' that it felt uncomfortable.

In contrast BMW were completely unpretentious.
I don't know about you but I'm 6'4" and have heaps of head room in the new TT and I am perfectly comfortable on long trips. The Z4 on the other hand now that was like being in a cave.
      05-22-2007, 03:04 AM   #9
silverbmwz3
Colonel

Drives: E90 335d wheelbarrow

Garage List
Yeah the z4 not good for me either but oddly I found the z4 coupe seemed ok when I sat in it - more headroom?
      05-22-2007, 04:15 AM   #10
DC-IV

Drives: 07 BMW 320d - 07 Audi TT 2.0T

I drove the coupe as well (3.0 L6 auto) and it was a cracking drive, but I could not seem to get comfortable.
      05-22-2007, 06:54 AM   #11
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: Mercedes C350 Coupe

Garage List
Individual dealers do seem to vary quite a bit. I'm distinctly unimpressed with my local BMW dealership, but the MINI showroom on the same site is fantastic and I found Audi to be courteous and professional, without being patronising. On the whole and based on past experience, I loathe all dealers and much prefer not to deal with them at all!

Didn't have a problem driving the TT, but rear seats are woeful. Should really be a 2 seater.

RockIt!
RockIt is offline   England
      05-22-2007, 11:36 AM   #12
NFS
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockIt View Post
Individual dealers do seem to vary quite a bit. I'm distinctly unimpressed with my local BMW dealership, but the MINI showroom on the same site is fantastic and I found Audi to be courteous and professional, without being patronising. On the whole and based on past experience, I loathe all dealers and much prefer not to deal with them at all!

Didn't have a problem driving the TT, but rear seats are woeful. Should really be a 2 seater.
When I sat in the TT the drivers seat was touching the rear bench. The internal space was actually less than the Mini
      05-22-2007, 01:21 PM   #13
red-max
First Lieutenant

Drives: 520d M-Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger2007 View Post
I can see your comments here, but why should it make a difference if I walk into a dealer wearing Jeans or a suit? Generally the Jeans I wear cost in the region of £150 anyway so its not like a question of affordability.
My latest pair of jeans cost me £6 at Tescos - maybe I should be driving a Skoda?
      05-22-2007, 02:57 PM   #14
squeezebm
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-max View Post
My latest pair of jeans cost me £6 at Tescos - maybe I should be driving a Skoda?
I wear next jeans,does that mean i'm special?
      05-23-2007, 05:16 AM   #15
NFS
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezebm View Post
I wear next jeans,does that mean i'm special?
I suspect that those of us who wear jeans from 'next' should stick to the Ford dealers.

Is it actually possible to spend £150 on a pair of strides?
      05-26-2007, 11:27 AM   #16
squeezebm
Colonel

Quote:
I suspect that those of us who wear jeans from 'next' should stick to the Ford dealers.

Is it actually possible to spend £150 on a pair of strides?
i like the new mondeo,does that make me bad?
      05-27-2007, 04:44 AM   #17
red355
Captain

Drives: RS4 Avant V8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by red-max View Post
Tescos are doing suits at £45 but 20% off this weekend..guy at work bought one last week and its actually not too bad, fits him well..oh and spare set of trousers 14 quid.
he wonders why he is 38 and perma-single

Past¦E92 335D Evolved (but still dull) ¦ Boxster S ¦ E46 328!SE ¦ E36 325! coupe ¦ E30 325! sport ¦ MINI Cooper S
red355 is offline   England
      05-27-2007, 05:59 AM   #18
squeezebm
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by red355 View Post
Tescos are doing suits at £45 but 20% off this weekend..guy at work bought one last week and its actually not too bad, fits him well..oh and spare set of trousers 14 quid.
he wonders why he is 38 and perma-single
Tesco's eh, just popping out
      05-27-2007, 08:59 AM   #19
vegaszen
Enlisted Member

Drives: BMW 335

I'm looking for a decent dealership Cal, utah, arizona.

My experiences:
BMW: stuck up wankers!
I dislike them.

I hated them the first time I meet one.
probably my crap 94 civic made them worse?
no, I got the same vibe as I was having my 325 serviced.

lack knowledge of their products
try to rip you off at every single opportunity.
on my first purchase, they "mis-calculated'' the payments by almost $200!!
so, I showed them what it needed to be with my financial calculator.
scum sucking bastards.

this weeks purchase was even worse!

Unfortunately, I love the the 3 series cars.
Maybe next car, which I will lease,
an out of state dealer will win my love and continued patronage.

K
      06-01-2007, 07:11 PM   #20
en1gma
Private

Drives: F10 520d M-Sport

"Beauty in the eye of the beholder" and all that, but I must say, that when my company stopped their company car scheme, I looked at both Audis and BMWs (new and S/H), and - although they can be arrogant tw@ts - the BMW dealers ALWAYS showed interest. Even if it was only the patronising 'are you Ok/do you need any help?'.

Never, EVER, got a dickie bird out of the Audi dealers - not once did a sales person ever ask if I wanted any assistance.

Now, I've worked in Retail for over 20 years, and appreciate that some people do not want to be prematurely disturbed (ooh er!), but having a good look around, sitting in the cars and telling the receptionist you'd like to speak to someone, etc, and not getting any response (even though they weren't run off their feet) is shocking customer service.

The fact I'd previously had a an e46 3-series and it ran like clockwork, and servicing was a breeze - well, admit I never saw the bills in those days, but Cooper Reading (use the MINI dealership towards J12 of the M4, not the one near the Reading Train Station) were always polite and professional - meant that I went back to BMW...
en1gma is offline   United Kingdom
      06-04-2007, 04:37 AM   #21
NFS
Major General

BMW service used to be better though.

I remember the days when they left a little tin of BMW travel sweets in the car after every service
      06-04-2007, 02:03 PM   #22
squeezebm
Colonel

Quote:
BMW service used to be better though.

I remember the days when they left a little tin of BMW travel sweets in the car after every service
I remember the mints thing,and it wasn't that long ago

Re TT,sorry its a birds car