E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > After Market Alarm System

12-26-2011, 07:36 PM   #1
sbc0117
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 335i Convertible E93

After Market Alarm System

I just purchased a 2008 335i convertible (E93) and I'm loving it so far. The only thing that is missing is an alarm system which I know others think is not necessary. I personally feel more secure with an alarm system in the car.

1) Does anyone recommend an after market alarm or stick with BMW factory alarm?

2) I'm wondering if anyone out there has successfully installed an after market alarm system which intergrated with the prewired BMW?

3) Is the factory alarm easy to install since it's plug and play? I know coding is needed once the alarm is installed. (I am trying to save a few $s by installing it myself and let someone do the coding)

4) Does anyone know a good and cheap place for coding in the Bay Area?

Thanks in advance for your advices and any feedback is greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 04:55 AM   #2
Neutrino45
Major
Rep

Drives: XXX

See my reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbc0117 View Post
I just purchased a 2008 335i convertible (E93) and I'm loving it so far. The only thing that is missing is an alarm system which I know others think is not necessary. I personally feel more secure with an alarm system in the car.

1) Does anyone recommend an after market alarm or stick with BMW factory alarm? BMW Factory Alarm

2) I'm wondering if anyone out there has successfully installed an after market alarm system which intergrated with the prewired BMW?

3) Is the factory alarm easy to install since it's plug and play? I know coding is needed once the alarm is installed. (I am trying to save a few $s by installing it myself and let someone do the coding)Yes, it's very easy. Takes less than 30 minutes?

4) Does anyone know a good and cheap place for coding in the Bay Area? Check the coding section. There are lots of people who will do it for free.

Thanks in advance for your advices and any feedback is greatly appreciated!
      12-27-2011, 05:20 AM   #3
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep

Drives: '07 E90 328i

I bought my OEM alarm from ECStuning and a local forum member in SF installed mine and I bought a DEI shock sensor from him with the alarm so it all plays together. The only problem is after less than 12 hours, my red blinker stopped blinking so I think I'll be needing a code.

Problems that I think that I shouldn't have:
1. The alarm doesn't beep when I lock/unlock.
2. Panic alarm doesn't sound like it's a luxury car.
3. Situations of how I'd normally open my car, makes the alarm think it's being stolen.

Personally I'm getting coded at BMW dealer so that it's just registered plus I got a 20% off coupon for services from the mail, it's about $170 for coding But from "Detail Addict" are in Santa Clara, it's half that price for unlimited coding.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 05:29 AM   #4
Neutrino45
Major
Rep

Drives: XXX

#1 - That feature can be turned on and off through coding.
#2 - I agree.
#3 - I don't have this problem.

FYI, I bought my alarm on eBay from one of the BMW dealer for ~$230 shipped.
      12-28-2011, 12:09 AM   #5
sbc0117
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutrino45 View Post
See my reply
Hi Neutrino45,
Thanks for your advices and I will definitely check out the option on installing the alarm myself. Actually I found a link from a forum that provide an offical BMW alarm installation instructions. Like you said it's pretty simply and can be done easily in 30 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 01:42 PM   #6
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 08 328i e93 alpine white

i have a Clifford 590.2X responder with microwave sensor and remote start in my E93. never have any problems with it.
iPhone 5s (iTunes library/iTunes radio/Waze, etc) to Airport Express via AirPlay to Tru Technology SSLD6i via aux out of Airport Express to Helix A4S Competition. Dynaudio MD102, Esotar 1200, and MW152. Jehnert Door Cards and mid-bass'.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 12:26 AM   #7
sbc0117
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathematics View Post
i have a Clifford 590.2X responder with microwave sensor and remote start in my E93. never have any problems with it.
Is your Clifford alarm able to intergrate with your BMW remote control? That is you don't have to carry two remote controls. Do you need to do coding once the Clifford alarm is installed?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 09:26 AM   #8
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 08 328i e93 alpine white

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbc0117 View Post
Is your Clifford alarm able to intergrate with your BMW remote control? That is you don't have to carry two remote controls. Do you need to do coding once the Clifford alarm is installed?
does not integrate with factory remote. no coding. technically do i need two remotes? no. i can technically start the car and unlock it from my iPhone and drive away with smart start. that's because i don't have comfort access and a second fob needed to be taken apart and integrated into the system with a module for remote starting.
iPhone 5s (iTunes library/iTunes radio/Waze, etc) to Airport Express via AirPlay to Tru Technology SSLD6i via aux out of Airport Express to Helix A4S Competition. Dynaudio MD102, Esotar 1200, and MW152. Jehnert Door Cards and mid-bass'.
Appreciate 0