E90Post

MINHS Auto Care Center

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N51 no gas pressure

11-27-2014, 03:01 PM   #1
NM_Bimmer
Registered
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 328i E90 N51

N51 no gas pressure

I have this particular problem with my 2007 328i N51 engine. Recently I changed the valve cover gasket and disconnected the battery. The battery died (charged). Once I was done I tried to start and the engine cranks but do not start. Changed the gas pump (a pain but found metal pieces button of tank). Changed battery (battery was not holding charge) but do not start. Checked all cables connections (many times)

Engine start if spray starting fluid to throttle. Noticed no gas pressure on the gas rail. Somebody told me it could be a gas pressure relay but cannot find the location on this engine. Running out of tricks here.

Need help on what could be the problem Thank you
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 02:39 AM   #2
Eagle1oh7
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: '11 328i Sedan

I thought the N51 came with an exclusive 10 year warranty on the fuel system.

FUTURE MODS: Eisenmann Full Cat-back Exhaust, OETuning ECU, AA Headers, CF mirror caps, Bi-Xenon headlights, CF rooftop, CF lip
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 11:50 AM   #3
E46driver
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2009 E92 N51 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1oh7
I thought the N51 came with an exclusive 10 year warranty on the fuel system.
I believe the warranty is for the emissions system not fuel.
2009 Alpine White E92 N51 328i Automagic | Premium & Sport Pkg. | Coral Red/Black Dakota Leather Interior | BMW Performance Exhaust | Gruppe M Intake | Varrstoen ES1 | Gloss Black Roof Vinyl | Performance Front Grills | M-Sport Kit(-Skirts) | LUX H8 V3 AE | GP Thunder Fogs
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 12:36 PM   #4
Eagle1oh7
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: '11 328i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46driver View Post
I believe the warranty is for the emissions system not fuel.
They kinda go hand in hand. I know the fuel tank is the same in non-SULVE cars. There was a link on 1er forum but it no longer works. :/

FUTURE MODS: Eisenmann Full Cat-back Exhaust, OETuning ECU, AA Headers, CF mirror caps, Bi-Xenon headlights, CF rooftop, CF lip
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 12:40 PM   #5
index1489
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: Out of warranty BMW

Get the Bentley BMW manual, they have a entire section on diag this
      11-28-2014, 12:52 PM   #6
631twentyeighteye
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2010 130i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1oh7 View Post
They kinda go hand in hand. I know the fuel tank is the same in non-SULVE cars. There was a link on 1er forum but it no longer works. :/
I thought the fuel tank shape was the same, but the Fuel pump in n52's is replaceable/serviceable and the n51 is built into the gas tank and requires replacement of the entire gas tank should the fuel pump die..

That being said, I agree that fueling is directly related to emissions and should be warrantied, but i have no idea. I do believe the n51 gas tank is covered under that warranty though(including fuel pump).
      11-28-2014, 04:41 PM   #7
Bavarian Tech
Captain
Rep

Drives: 335i

Garage List
2006 330i  [5.00]
N51 have been know for the transfer tube to break in the tank. The fuel pump will prime n run but it wont feed pressure to the engine. If the pump runs while cranking (or jumping the pump) n you still got no fuel pressure. Thats your issue. BTW u have to replace the WHOLE tank
      11-29-2014, 01:51 AM   #8
NM_Bimmer
Registered
United_States
Rep

N51 no gas pressure

Thank you guys for the replies. First, I read on other forums posts the warranty on the fuel pump is not covered on this model. Second, I replaced the fuel pump without replacing the tank. Later I found the fuel pump was good testing it outside the tank. The reason I replaced was because of the metal pieces found at the button of the tank, not to mention the clogged filter.
I have a a BMW OBDC iCarsoft scanner and shows fuel pump rpm and voltage. Also replaced fuel pump relay module behind the passenger seat back rest, still showing same problem. I read about about another fuel pressure relay but cannot find it. I have the Bentley BMW manual but is not very detailed about location of electrical parts, in special the N51. Is the 328i Sulev have a separate High pressure fuel pump? or is just for Turbos only?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 05:53 PM   #9
Bavarian Tech
Captain
Rep

Drives: 335i

Garage List
2006 330i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM_Bimmer View Post
Thank you guys for the replies. First, I read on other forums posts the warranty on the fuel pump is not covered on this model. Second, I replaced the fuel pump without replacing the tank. Later I found the fuel pump was good testing it outside the tank. The reason I replaced was because of the metal pieces found at the button of the tank, not to mention the clogged filter.
I have a a BMW OBDC iCarsoft scanner and shows fuel pump rpm and voltage. Also replaced fuel pump relay module behind the passenger seat back rest, still showing same problem. I read about about another fuel pressure relay but cannot find it. I have the Bentley BMW manual but is not very detailed about location of electrical parts, in special the N51. Is the 328i Sulev have a separate High pressure fuel pump? or is just for Turbos only?

Thanks

Theirs no HPFP in N51/2. Btw the fuel pressure module has to be programmed to vehicle. But anyways if you have 12v at the pump with everything plug in correctly, while cranking the engine. (and the pump is running ) You need a FUEL TANK, like i said theirs a hose that breaks, so the pump will run all day long but all it does it circulate fuel within the tank,
      11-30-2014, 10:26 PM   #10
NM_Bimmer
Registered
United_States
Rep

Thank you for your reply. I will perform a fuel tank test to find out if the pump is pumping or not. If not pumping gas, you right about hose, then is very bad news. If not, then I will continue looking into other problems. Either way have to fix it.
Appreciate 0