E90Post
 


jb4store
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Changing the whole sound system



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-28-2011, 12:11 AM   #1
youngjizzle
Enlisted Member
4

 
Drives: 08 135i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Queens, NY


Posts: 34
iTrader: (0)

Changing the whole sound system

I am a totally noob so please bare with me. Last Friday I finally got my 08 328xi and I love it. There's not too many things I wanna change with it but one thing I am really big on is sound. I want to change the sound system but I wanna keep the stock look. My questions to you guys are is there a way I can change the sound system while keeping the factory radio? Also, can someone tell me about the speaker sizes and how can I change the sizes. I have looked around in this forum and haven't really found anything helpful. I really do not understand anything about car audio at all except that I like good sound lol so lamer terms would be the best. thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 12:48 AM   #2
ctuna
Brigadier General
44

 
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca


Posts: 4,288
iTrader: (0)

yes there are solutions, and good ones

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=613040

For the best kits go to these guys

http://www.musicarnw.com/page-2/

http://www.musicarnw.com/bmw-upgrades/

You are starting out with the Hi Fi or logic 7 system you have to identify which.
Read the links in the above thread identify your system.
Do not go to a common stereo shop to get this done.
Most of them even the professionals(so called) don't understand these cars or no
what works in them.
If you are not a DIYer there are a few guys in the Jersey area that have done these.
I'm sure they will chime in eventually.

6spdcoupe is his handle unexpected creations somewhere in Jersey
has done these cars.

Unexpected Creations Llc‎
25 Wisteria Street
Edison, NJ 08817
(732) 572-1969

Last edited by ctuna; 11-28-2011 at 01:50 AM.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 08:15 AM   #3
Technic
Lieutenant General
United_States
197

 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida


Posts: 11,148
iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngjizzle View Post
I am a totally noob so please bare with me. Last Friday I finally got my 08 328xi and I love it. There's not too many things I wanna change with it but one thing I am really big on is sound. I want to change the sound system but I wanna keep the stock look. My questions to you guys are is there a way I can change the sound system while keeping the factory radio? Also, can someone tell me about the speaker sizes and how can I change the sizes. I have looked around in this forum and haven't really found anything helpful. I really do not understand anything about car audio at all except that I like good sound lol so lamer terms would be the best. thanks
Example after searching: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532585
__________________
-2015 F30 320i, Imperial/Oyster, 8AT: August 2014 ED
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT: Gone
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
youngjizzle
Enlisted Member
4

 
Drives: 08 135i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Queens, NY


Posts: 34
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=613040

For the best kits go to these guys

http://www.musicarnw.com/page-2/

http://www.musicarnw.com/bmw-upgrades/

You are starting out with the Hi Fi or logic 7 system you have to identify which.
Read the links in the above thread identify your system.
Do not go to a common stereo shop to get this done.
Most of them even the professionals(so called) don't understand these cars or no
what works in them.
If you are not a DIYer there are a few guys in the Jersey area that have done these.
I'm sure they will chime in eventually.

6spdcoupe is his handle unexpected creations somewhere in Jersey
has done these cars.

Unexpected Creations Llc‎
25 Wisteria Street
Edison, NJ 08817
(732) 572-1969
Thanks for the quick responses. From what I'm assuming I have a HiFi system because I have tweeters by the windows, no speaker in the center dash, and I don't see any equalizer button(btw if I did have a equalizer function where would it be)? After I established which system I have what could I do from here? I am thinking of replacing some of the speakers first. Anyone have any suggestions on the sizes and brands? I have a pretty relative budget because I just bought the car lol so not too much cash. As far as subs I'm thinking of a 10 inch w6. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 06:21 PM   #5
ctuna
Brigadier General
44

 
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca


Posts: 4,288
iTrader: (0)

Can you self install?

If you followed that thread that I gave you it gives a list of speakers
that will fit. entry number 2 in the thread.
It also describes the system and the pitfalls .
Technic sells harnesses that make doing this plug and play .
A lot of people will use a Jl xd 600/6 for this system as its a 6 channel
drop in for the Hi Fi.
Read the Technic posts and you will find he has a lot of low cost suggestions.
Quality stuff that fits will cost you close to 1k on the low end if you can DIY.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 06:41 PM   #6
B-737
Captain
United_States
35

 
B-737's Avatar
 
Drives: Carrera C2 993
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Jersey Shore


Posts: 822
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 328 xi  [3.63]
95 Carrera C2 993  [0.00]
i would email Don at unexpected creations, discuss your options, save the money and have it all done right in one shot. he's by appointment only. The last time i was there he had two AMGs in his shop.

mypearltpi AT aol DOT com is his personal email.
Don has never, ever, not responded to a single email. if you write him, you'll hear back with solid advice from a professional who works on our cars day in and day out.

he did my upgrade on my 2011
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451762
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 08:42 PM   #7
dgafxxx
Private
6

 
Drives: alpine white e90
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: sl, ut


Posts: 55
iTrader: (0)

I just went through this process myself.

What I did:
JL XD600/6 Amp hooked up with Harness from Technic to be completely plug and play, requires no factory wires to be cut or tapped.

Replaced the speakers in the front doors with Morel Hybrid Ovation 4 component set, also hooked up with connectors I got from Technic to be plug and play. These were installed with adapter rings from 808MGuy.

Replaced the underseat subs with Earthquake 4 ohm SWS-8's and JTSHERRI spacers and connectors also from Technic to make these plug and play as well.

Also just like Ctuna suggested you can get a complete kit from Ken at MusicarNW, he uses top of the line components as well, and does all of the wiring, his kit is a one stop shop with everything you need (speakers, amp, adapters, wiring, etc all plug and play)

If you decide you want to piece together your system yourself, I have a pair of Morel Dotech Ovation 4's for sale that are Brand New in the box, and you can get them from me $50 cheaper than any place you can find online.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 10:27 PM   #8
youngjizzle
Enlisted Member
4

 
Drives: 08 135i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Queens, NY


Posts: 34
iTrader: (0)

The links are really giving me good insight for what I need to do with the speakers. With all of the speakers I can use I guess I have to compare and contrast what I really want to do. I'm guessing a component system would be the best for my system but I really do not know to much about them because I always used traditional coaxial speakers. Also I noticed a subwoofer in the trunk would be easy to install because of how it's setup in the trunk with the battery but where would I get the sound from?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 10:48 PM   #9
ctuna
Brigadier General
44

 
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca


Posts: 4,288
iTrader: (0)

You need a stereo 101 class

I would try to find some books on that .
A Sub is not the answer to every problem .
You can get plenty of bass out of the under seats if you upgrade them.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 12:34 AM   #10
youngjizzle
Enlisted Member
4

 
Drives: 08 135i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Queens, NY


Posts: 34
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
I would try to find some books on that .
A Sub is not the answer to every problem .
You can get plenty of bass out of the under seats if you upgrade them.
Really? Idk I've never sat in a car with subs under the chair. I've heard there is subs under the seat I haven't actually checked it out yet. I've been stuck on getting used to my new baby.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 01:34 AM   #11
ctuna
Brigadier General
44

 
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca


Posts: 4,288
iTrader: (0)

If you want to make the bass come out more

Adjust the Fader to the Front that alone will improve the sound.
You have 4 inch components in the doors and 8 inch woofers under each seat.
They are all powered by a pretty wimpy amp .
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 12:11 PM   #12
youngjizzle
Enlisted Member
4

 
Drives: 08 135i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Queens, NY


Posts: 34
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Adjust the Fader to the Front that alone will improve the sound.
You have 4 inch components in the doors and 8 inch woofers under each seat.
They are all powered by a pretty wimpy amp .
Adjust the fader via the controls on the head unit right? How should I adjust it?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 12:33 PM   #13
ctuna
Brigadier General
44

 
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca


Posts: 4,288
iTrader: (0)

fade the back channels out

fade the volume toward the front making the front louder this will
bring up the bass in relation to the rest of the frequency's.
Yes the head unit that where the fader is.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 03:02 PM   #14
B-737
Captain
United_States
35

 
B-737's Avatar
 
Drives: Carrera C2 993
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Jersey Shore


Posts: 822
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 328 xi  [3.63]
95 Carrera C2 993  [0.00]
i agree with tuna...OP should not attempt install himself. (from what ive read)

OP, i would purchase a kit form Musicar and have it installed locally at a reputable shop and pay their labor, OR go to a proven professional and have them supply the components and labor.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 03:46 PM   #15
youngjizzle
Enlisted Member
4

 
Drives: 08 135i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Queens, NY


Posts: 34
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-737 View Post
i agree with tuna...OP should not attempt install himself. (from what ive read)

OP, i would purchase a kit form Musicar and have it installed locally at a reputable shop and pay their labor, OR go to a proven professional and have them supply the components and labor.
that's probably what i'll end up doing. i had subs in my old car and they took up too much space and weight in the trunk but then again i had 2 12's. it's hard to make the distinction because there's a couple people on this forum who still have subs in their trunk. i wish i can hear how upgraded subs below the seat would sound before i made my decision. The JL audio 6 channel amp sounds like a good choice but 6 channels? i would use 4 channels(2 for the front speakers and 2 for the back) but what should I use the other two channels for?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 03:58 PM   #16
B-737
Captain
United_States
35

 
B-737's Avatar
 
Drives: Carrera C2 993
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Jersey Shore


Posts: 822
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 328 xi  [3.63]
95 Carrera C2 993  [0.00]
you dont need to run rear speakers in these cars esp if your going for accuracy and clarity.

you could do a massive 6ch amp do fronts, rears and subs off of it. or do a 4 ch and run your fronts, and underseat subs.

with under seat subs done right, you will not need a trunk sub unless your into that kind of thing...

for many of us tinkering with cars for years since we were kids, we were used to 'lots' of 'big' speakers, and giant subs = good. times have changed, its hard to unwire that mindset. it took me a long time to understand that my installer was right when he said "dont need rears and you dont need a trunk sub". after a year with the system i now get it.

my recreation vehicle is a pick up truck with a small cab, a 10 inch sub, components, 4 speakers, two very high quality amps. the system i have in my coupe blows it away as far as accuracy and clarity.
__________________

Last edited by B-737; 11-29-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 04:15 PM   #17
youngjizzle
Enlisted Member
4

 
Drives: 08 135i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Queens, NY


Posts: 34
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-737 View Post
you dont need to run rear speakers in these cars esp if your going for accuracy and clarity.

you could do a massive 6ch amp do fronts, rears and subs off of it. or do a 4 ch and run your fronts, and underseat subs.

with under seat subs done right, you will not need a trunk sub unless your into that kind of thing...

for many of us tinkering with cars for years since we were kids, we were used to 'lots' of 'big' speakers, and giant subs = good. times have changed, its hard to unwire that mindset. it took me a long time to understand that my installer was right when he said "dont need rears and you dont need a trunk sub". after a year with the system i now get it.

my recreation vehicle is a pick up truck with a small cab, a 10 inch sub, components, 4 speakers, two very high quality amps. the system i have in my coupe blows it away as far as accuracy and clarity.
yeah your probably right. i would love to do the method without the trunk subs for obvious reasons. just off your opinion would you recommend the 4 channel amp or 6 channel amp? and wouldn't wiring an after market amp to the subs under the chair be messy? unless if i remove the stock amp right??
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 04:31 PM   #18
B-737
Captain
United_States
35

 
B-737's Avatar
 
Drives: Carrera C2 993
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Jersey Shore


Posts: 822
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 328 xi  [3.63]
95 Carrera C2 993  [0.00]
your right in NY, so there are prob tons of guys near you with upgraded systems, you should def check out the local NY sub forum, and listen to guys set ups.

if you could find someone with a set up from Musicar i would make an effort to hear that car.

i think a 4ch amp would suit the needs of most people, even audiophiles. I think your system is most similar to Tuna's, and the guys with factory amps simply swap out the factory amp for the better after market setup directly in its place with the correct AM Technic wiring harness.
__________________

Last edited by B-737; 11-29-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 04:46 PM   #19
cptcrunch
Captain Crunch
10

 
cptcrunch's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335D
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cincinnati


Posts: 293
iTrader: (0)

I'm in a similar mindset of "must have rears, gotta install the rears", even when the front upgraded should be just fine.
__________________
2011 335D Space Grey, Black Leather Interior, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, 6FL, Satellite Radio, Nav, Base Audio

Last edited by cptcrunch; 11-30-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 05:13 PM   #20
ctuna
Brigadier General
44

 
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca


Posts: 4,288
iTrader: (0)

If you have the Hi Fi setup

You have the system that's easiest to modify in relation to the other two.
If you get a VP Kit its as easy as it gets. No soldering no crimping everything is pre setup and on factory connectors. If only requires you route the power cables and screw the rest of the stuff in.
This is as plug an play as it gets. It does require some ability with small tools and a basic understanding of cars and electronics.
As far as amps if you want to keep the rear speakers the easy out is the JL xd 600/6
If you want superior control of the sound Zapco's with built in sound processor.
Surround sound ms-8(sound processor) with aftermarket amps and speakers according to what you want to do.

Last edited by ctuna; 11-29-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 05:21 PM   #21
youngjizzle
Enlisted Member
4

 
Drives: 08 135i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Queens, NY


Posts: 34
iTrader: (0)

this may seem like a dumb question but i got to the fader...how should i now adjust it??
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 05:30 PM   #22
ctuna
Brigadier General
44

 
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca


Posts: 4,288
iTrader: (0)

Turn the knob on the right to the right.

Did you get the radio manual someone posted a link to it the other day on here.

Radio manual at entry 3 in the following thread

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...t=radio+manual
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST