E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Thermostat change

01-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #23
TMP
Colonel

Drives: M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I changed my EGR 'stat last winter as I wanted to ensure I wasn't having slower warm up times. I also wanted to pull one apart and see the mode of failure. Mine was in good condition, just opening a couple of degrees early, when boiled up together with the new one.

I'm in two minds on the main 'stat, would ideally replace, as to run optimum temperatures, has to be the best option. Mine is 1 - 2 degrees lower than a year ago, so in the balance to replace. Just the bother of doing it.

My mpg average is the same long term as the past two years, so not seen a fall off. Warm up times are long, but that is ambient temperature influenced anyway. My car takes about 8 miles of free running (50 - 60mph) to get to 75-degrees at freezing temperatures, (even longer if I don't preheat the cabin before driving). 80-degrees at the same distance at about 10-degrees ambient, identical to last winter. DPF regen's are working fine, and gets into the 90's when a regen' is in progress.

HighlandPete
Got a 200 mile drive tomorrow so will see how mine compares.

Drove a 100 miles yesterday but forgot to turn on the temp menu...it's such a shame you can't just access it without that code and faff.

How can you tell your DPF regens are fine Pete?
      01-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #24
HighlandPete
Brigadier General

Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMP View Post
How can you tell your DPF regens are fine Pete?
I know when most local regen's occur, usually the gear hold on the auto, gives it away, that one is starting. Running the coolant temperature will confirm the engine heat up, as does the drop in mpg. Also it often happens virtually in the same place, so I also know the wind down as well, when it is all back to normal. Temperature returns to the average and mpg starts climbing again. Typically about 8 - 9 miles at around 60mph.

As this has been the norm, ever since I've had the car from new, I assume it is fine.

HighlandPete
      01-05-2012, 11:54 AM   #25
TMP
Colonel

Drives: M135i

ok, so today car took 6-7 miles to reach 84c, this was over 14mins of mixed driving with some queuing (otherwise time would have been about 10 mins) to get onto the mway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I know when most local regen's occur, usually the gear hold on the auto, gives it away, that one is starting. Running the coolant temperature will confirm the engine heat up, as does the drop in mpg. Also it often happens virtually in the same place, so I also know the wind down as well, when it is all back to normal. Temperature returns to the average and mpg starts climbing again. Typically about 8 - 9 miles at around 60mph.

As this has been the norm, ever since I've had the car from new, I assume it is fine.

HighlandPete
Yeah, i see the gear hold trait (I always nudge it manually..maybe I shouldn't do that!) . Just never witnessed it on the coolant temp reading...

How many miles does a regen usually happen in need to happen in? I did 280 today and didn't see the temp rise...have another 250 miles today so maybe tomorrow...
      01-05-2012, 06:05 PM   #26
HighlandPete
Brigadier General

Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMP View Post
Yeah, i see the gear hold trait (I always nudge it manually..maybe I shouldn't do that!) . Just never witnessed it on the coolant temp reading...

How many miles does a regen usually happen in need to happen in? I did 280 today and didn't see the temp rise...have another 250 miles today so maybe tomorrow...
I'd say for my local driving it is about once each tank. Possibly a bit more often, depends on the trip lengths. When making longer trips I'm not sure the regeneration is as marked. I've not run the temperature when out on really long runs, but when I've had the regen' start locally, a couple of times I've had to stop, interrupting the regen. So I've set up the temperature reading, before driving off again and the regen' restarting. It is then, when I've seen the temperature go into the 90's. Gradually cooling back to normal, after a couple of miles in the 90's and another 6 or so miles in the high 80's.

HighlandPete