E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > P29CD - What's next?

01-01-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose

Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

Garage List
2008 335i E90  [4.00]
P29CD - What's next?

I've started getting P29CD (Misfire on Cyl1) error accompanied with the usual symptoms from the engine bay. This misfire can only be reproduced under high load conditions: high gear, low-mid rpms and then romp on the throttle. The easiest way for me to induce this is 4th gear, 2500 rpms and then I put my foot down.

Spark plugs have less than 5K miles. They were replaced by BMW during HPFP and injector recall.

So far I've done the following:

* Install brand new spark plug on cylinder 1. No change. Misfires remain on cyl 1.
* Swap coil from cyl1 to cyl6. No change. Misfires remain on cyl 1.

Digging through my service invoices, I noticed that during the HPFP and injector recall, only 4 out of the 6 injectors were swapped out. Unfortunately it does not tell me which ones.

What's the next step? Order 2 new injectors, replace them and then go to BMW for coding?

BTW, this only happens with Stage 2 maps. Car runs fine and super smooth in Stage 1, but that's only about 12 psi and that's no fun.
      01-01-2012, 04:34 PM   #2
805beemer
Captain

Drives: 2008 135i

Does it happen on Stage 2+ sport or only aggressive?
805beemer is offline   United_States
      01-01-2012, 05:25 PM   #3
deltalima0
First Lieutenant

Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
I've started getting P29CD (Misfire on Cyl1) error accompanied with the usual symptoms from the engine bay. This misfire can only be reproduced under high load conditions: high gear, low-mid rpms and then romp on the throttle. The easiest way for me to induce this is 4th gear, 2500 rpms and then I put my foot down.

Spark plugs have less than 5K miles. They were replaced by BMW during HPFP and injector recall.

So far I've done the following:

* Install brand new spark plug on cylinder 1. No change. Misfires remain on cyl 1.
* Swap coil from cyl1 to cyl6. No change. Misfires remain on cyl 1.

Digging through my service invoices, I noticed that during the HPFP and injector recall, only 4 out of the 6 injectors were swapped out. Unfortunately it does not tell me which ones.

What's the next step? Order 2 new injectors, replace them and then go to BMW for coding?

BTW, this only happens with Stage 2 maps. Car runs fine and super smooth in Stage 1, but that's only about 12 psi and that's no fun.
Vas I am having some of the same issues not throwing codes anymore but i do feel a stumble in the top end areas.

With the aggressive maps on Cobb if anything is off some you will feel it. When I went up to stg2+ I felt stumbles up in third and fourth gear then threw codes for a misfire in cylinder 4. I changed plugs and moved coil 4 to 1 just in case to see if coil was going bad. Car ran fine for a bit with the new plugs 12.2 115 1/4 mile traps. But eventually the stumble came back sure enough misfire cylinder 1.

Changed coil car runs very strong but still feeling a slight stumble up high in the top end area. Not sure if more coils are on there way out. The aggressive maps really need everything working 100% it seems cause i can go down on the map and car does not stumble up high.
      01-01-2012, 05:50 PM   #4
vasillalov

Garage List
2008 335i E90  [4.00]
Its not only on the aggressive though! Any map on Stage 2 can cause this. With Aggressive maps it just happens much much easier.

I think there is a fundamental difference in the tuning approach in Stage 1 and Stage 2 maps. The driveability on Stage 1 is outstanding regardless of the conditions, the rpm, the load, etc etc. Stage 2 is a different ball game. It almost makes me think that Stage 1 is true load based targeting and Stage 2 is something like a hybrid between load and boost based targeting. Could be wrong though...

The thing is, I already swapped coils! The misfires DID NOT move with the coil. Something else is going on...
      01-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #5
deltalima0
First Lieutenant

I hear you I have similar issue not throwing codes anymore with the coil change but there is definitely a stumble or loss in power up high. Just getting sputter up there it seems. Might dyno the car tomorrow and get some logs out to Cobb.
      01-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
vasillalov

Garage List
2008 335i E90  [4.00]
Question:

During deceleration, a.k.a. engine braking, does the ECU shut off both the injectors AND the ignition coils or just the injectors?
      01-03-2012, 11:04 AM   #7
bryce
Banned

Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
^no fuel or spark is supplied

in regards to your issue, i think it's prob an injector. it could be carbon build-up, as well. since you've trouble shooted spark plug and coil pack, next logical step would be to try an injector on cyl. 1 (assuming that was one of teh original injectors on the car, not replaced during recall). you could also take off the intake mani and look at carbon deposits
      01-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #8
vasillalov

Garage List
2008 335i E90  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post
^no fuel or spark is supplied
Crap! I was hoping it would be the case where the ECU shuts off only the injectors and "wastes" the spark during deceleration. This would most definitely point towards bad injector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post
in regards to your issue, i think it's prob an injector. it could be carbon build-up, as well. since you've trouble shooted spark plug and coil pack, next logical step would be to try an injector on cyl. 1 (assuming that was one of teh original injectors on the car, not replaced during recall). you could also take off the intake mani and look at carbon deposits

Agreed. Definitely not spark plug or coil related. It has to be a sticking injector that was not replaced during recall, or maybe it was not coded in correctly. I'll try to take a look this in the next couple of days when the temps rise above freezing...
      03-15-2012, 05:45 PM   #9
Bigwen
Private

Drives: 2008 335I E90

Bigwen - P29CD Code

I just had the same issue and I also have a E90 335I 2008 Sedan. Has anybody found out what the problem is?
      03-15-2012, 05:56 PM   #10
Beemw335
Colonel

Edit: Just realized this is an old thread.
      03-15-2012, 09:34 PM   #11
vasillalov

Garage List
2008 335i E90  [4.00]
Yeah, this was resolved a long time ago. It turned out to be a bad injector on cyl 1. All good now!
      03-15-2012, 10:09 PM   #12
woptang22
Captain

Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
Crap! I was hoping it would be the case where the ECU shuts off only the injectors and "wastes" the spark during deceleration. This would most definitely point towards bad injector.

Agreed. Definitely not spark plug or coil related. It has to be a sticking injector that was not replaced during recall, or maybe it was not coded in correctly. I'll try to take a look this in the next couple of days when the temps rise above freezing...
I dont mean to hijack your thread, but do all the 335i's have injector recalls? I had the HPFP recall done about 2 months ago, but they didnt say anything about injector recalls. I have an 07 335i. would I have an injector recall?
      03-23-2012, 02:44 AM   #13
Bigwen
Private

Drives: 2008 335I E90

Bigwen - P29CD Code

How is the world do I get BMW to replace mine. I have took it in twice first time the told me bad battery so they replaced my battery. That evening I put the COBB back on this time just Stage 1 drive around for an hour & when I was getting on the freeway give it a push the same thing happen. I take it back this time they tell me we found DME software was housing a different type of software so they cleared it and tested it.

I did take off the COBB like I always do before I take it in. So what are they tell me?
      04-26-2014, 12:44 AM   #14
parabmw
Private First Class

Drives: 335

if u take it to dealer will they change plugs first?