E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Do you swerve for animals on the road?

01-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #23
tmo24
Captain

Drives: 2010 335i e90 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerxq View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmo24 View Post
Depends on if I can do it safely. My friend rolled his car trying to miss a dog. Ended up in the hospital and got surgery on his right arm. He had a scar 8 inches long, pains that will last his entire life, and a totaled car. He was lucky he didn't die. After knowing what he went through, I won't swerve unless I know for sure that I can do it safely. Especially with my daughter in the car. At that point, it's the dog's life or my family. I will chose my family everytime.
What did he roll?
He rolled an srt-4. I told him I'm glad he lived and was ok and also glad he totaled his car so he could get a different one.
      01-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #24
cptcrunch
Captain Crunch

Drives: 2011 335D

If by swerve you mean aim for, then yes! (but only in the wife's SUV)
      01-03-2012, 02:54 PM   #25
F104
Captain

Drives: E92 320D M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptcrunch View Post
If by swerve you mean aim for, then yes! (but only in the wife's SUV)
I'd really like to meet you.
F104 is offline   Belgium
      01-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #26
3me
Lieutenant

Drives: 6spd mt 325i

Depends on size of animal, type, etc but I will avoid as long as it doesn't put my own life in jeopardy. If there is the slightest possibility of me wrecking then I will hit it if I have to.
      01-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #27
CamelBiscuit
Banned

Drives: 11 E92 335i

Garage List
2011 E92 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliditude View Post
Your question slightly implies that you hit the concrete wall after swerving from the dog, which, of course, I'm sure you didn't. And if you didn't, then you answer your own question: If there's a chance of not hitting anything and swerving away safely, why would you not do that? Nobody would run into an animal if they have a chance to miss it.
What if you could not avoid it? Would you slam your brakes and let whoever is driving behind you change your radio station for you?
CamelBiscuit is offline   United_States
      01-03-2012, 03:19 PM   #28
wdlfbio
Captain

Drives: Z4 35is, 335xi, Chevy 2500Dmax

Certainly depends.

1st) Can I clear the obstacle? If I may only hit it with my axles, I'm not likely to swerve.

2nd) Do I even have enough time to determine if I can swerve safely? That means, no jumping the curb, which could cause me to lose control and possible hit somebody or do more damage. Also means I wouldn't go into oncoming traffic and certainly do more harm. If I have time, and the area I need to enter is clear, then I'll give that a shot.

3rd) If I'm screwed and I'm gonna hit the thing anyway, I'm going to center punch it. I don't want to catch it on the front right or left and risk that impact spinning me about and losing control. I think I have a better chance of continuing my direction (braking heavily) if I don't swerve.

For those of you who say you should only be driving as fast as conditions allow and if you have to break/swerve to avoid crap,you are driving too fast, then you're full of crap. Several weeks ago I hopped on the freeway behind a semi. Looked in my left mirror so I could get over to pass him. It was clear, I hit the gas and got over into the fast lane. Crapola, there was a shredded tire waiting for me. At 65 mph and with me behind a semi, it wasn't visible (because when I looked it was far too out in front of the semi). Ran right over it just as I was getting into the lane. No way to avoid it so I tried to center it under the car. No way was I going to swerve and maybe hit it with my tire and have it flipped up even harder than it would by centering it or have it bounce my car outta control. Point is, sometimes crap just happens and we have to react.

As far as killing nature's poor little creatures, she makes lots of extras. Stupid ones die and don't train as many stupid offspring to make the same error. Me and my passengers (and in most cases, my property) are more important to me than a deer, coyote, dog, raccoon, and everyone else.

My wife and I did our BMW club's Car Control Clinic. It is a great driving class to show the braking and handling ability of our vehicles under various speeds, and in a highly controlled environment. Also streeses keeping one's 'eyes up' to see things while there is still time to react safely.

Last edited by wdlfbio; 01-03-2012 at 03:35 PM.
      01-03-2012, 03:21 PM   #29
achien
AC

Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

I pray for the animal, then my car. After that, I will let physics take its course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkneiber View Post
I was driving down in San Diego in my father\'s 03 Camry in fog. Between switching freeways on a ramp was a dog hidden in the fog. I tried my best to swerve on the single lane ramp without rolling the floaty Camry. It was pretty controlled and I avoided the dog but I\'m wondering if I shouldn\'t try avoiding an animal next time? Concrete barriers are a large price to pay for avoiding a stray dog that\'s probably dead now (stuck between 2 freeways).
      01-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #30
bimmer_335
Captain

Drives: 335i Coupe

not if they are dead already

Once i went over a dog and to my amazement it got up and walked away... i was shocked.