E90Post
 


jb4store
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Disconnecting Battery for 4 months



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-03-2012, 07:10 AM   #1
ibadk
New Member
1

 
Drives: 2009 323i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto


Posts: 9
iTrader: (0)

Disconnecting Battery for 4 months

I'm going out of the country, and the garage in which my car sits doesn't have an electrical outlet, taking the negative terminal out seems simple enough. My question is that if I do remove the negative terminal, effectively disconnecting my battery, are there any long-term ramifications? I'll be gone for 4.5 months. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 08:23 AM   #2
bumere90
Grozniy
United_States
111

 
Drives: Carless
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: FL


Posts: 2,602
iTrader: (12)

Get one of these
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...do?from=Search
__________________
-fatman
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 08:38 AM   #3
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
173

 
Drives: '06 AW 330xi
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: North Jersey/Philly/NYC


Posts: 7,090
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2006 330xi  [3.22]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumere90 View Post
No electrical outlet near by...

OP, there shouldn't be any long term effects but I can't say for sure.

Do you have an LCI? Some of those trunks don't have a key slot. So make sure you either put your seats down or have some other way of getting into the trunk after disconnecting the battery.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 09:08 AM   #4
ibadk
New Member
1

 
Drives: 2009 323i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto


Posts: 9
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
No electrical outlet near by...

OP, there shouldn't be any long term effects but I can't say for sure.

Do you have an LCI? Some of those trunks don't have a key slot. So make sure you either put your seats down or have some other way of getting into the trunk after disconnecting the battery.
Sounds good. Thanks. I have a portable battery booster pack so I figure I can connect that to the terminal under my hood, providing enough juice to pop open the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 09:41 AM   #5
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
173

 
Drives: '06 AW 330xi
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: North Jersey/Philly/NYC


Posts: 7,090
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2006 330xi  [3.22]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibadk View Post
Sounds good. Thanks. I have a portable battery booster pack so I figure I can connect that to the terminal under my hood, providing enough juice to pop open the trunk.
I remember someone who couldn't do that and they had to find the wires going to the trunk latch and put 12v on it.

I would check before just to be safe.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #6
listerone
First Lieutenant
United_States
4

 
Drives: 2014 BMW 328d
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Connecticut


Posts: 327
iTrader: (0)

I can't think of any serious consequences.You'll probably lose various settings (seat memory,radio presets,etc) and the transmission might have to "re-learn" your driving style (having lost *its* settings) but getting into the car won't be a problem with the little key in your keyfob.My "d" had a key slot hidden underneath...I'd wager that all '09 3's have one (but can't be 100% sure).

Have you considered removing the battery and hooking it up to a battery tender?
__________________
Currently: 2014 328d / Mineral Grey Metallic / Nav
Formerly: 2011 MB E350 Bluetec / Nav / Distronic
Formerly: 2009 335d / Monaco Blue / Beige Dakota Leather / iDrive / Nav / Xenon / Sirius / HD Radio
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 10:49 AM   #7
Juiced1M
Banned
6

 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: East Coast


Posts: 419
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
trickle charger is the best
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 06:49 PM   #8
EYE4SPEED
Ex-Quattro Driver
United_States
60

 
EYE4SPEED's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335d M-Sport LCI
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West Coast... of Michigan


Posts: 1,987
iTrader: (22)

I have a float charger on mine now. Last year, it sat for close to five months with no charger. Everything worked fine. You will find mixed opinions on here, but I think five months will be ok.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 07:01 PM   #9
John 070
Lieutenant General
284

 
Drives: 335i cpe
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ZSP/ZPP/ZCW


Posts: 11,480
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced1M View Post
trickle charger is the best
No, my understanding is they are the worst. No need for them anymore with tenders.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 11:50 PM   #10
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
173

 
Drives: '06 AW 330xi
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: North Jersey/Philly/NYC


Posts: 7,090
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2006 330xi  [3.22]
Quote:
Originally Posted by listerone View Post
I can't think of any serious consequences.You'll probably lose various settings (seat memory,radio presets,etc) and the transmission might have to "re-learn" your driving style (having lost *its* settings) but getting into the car won't be a problem with the little key in your keyfob.My "d" had a key slot hidden underneath...I'd wager that all '09 3's have one (but can't be 100% sure).

Have you considered removing the battery and hooking it up to a battery tender?
No you will lose some adaptations like throttle, maybe knock, octane, etc

But the seat and radio presets are stored in the key fob.

You will lose date and time and trip info though.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 12:57 AM   #11
rami335i
Private
5

 
rami335i's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Qatar


Posts: 88
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibadk View Post
Sounds good. Thanks. I have a portable battery booster pack so I figure I can connect that to the terminal under my hood, providing enough juice to pop open the trunk.
Does not work, been tried before. best is to fold down your rear seats, get from the back seat and pull the emergency trunk handle
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:47 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST