E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > New Mods Came In Today (pix inside)

12-19-2011, 06:59 PM   #1
turbolover
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: '08 335XI 6 Speed Manual

New Mods Came In Today (pix inside)

I have a 08 335xi, I came from the "STi" crowd. That being said the tuning begins; just got my Dual Cone Intake from Burgertuning. Got a Performance BMW shift knob for that manual 6 speed gear box. Also got a free HKS blow off valve from a buddy, just need to order a new Charge pipe, and will install all this on Wednesday this week!

Anyone with the Intakes installed? or the Blow off valve? That has some advice or tips?

My next mod is stage 1 or stage 2 JB chip from Burgertuning.....

Let the mods begin!

I will post pics later (at work now)

Last edited by turbolover; 12-19-2011 at 10:58 PM. Reason: added pics
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 05:26 PM   #2
jeffreythethird
Sturmtrooper
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 Space Grey 335xi

I have both and they sound great! I took the BOV & charge pipe to be installed though because I'm not very savvy with working in my garage. Unfortunately, I have an AT so I don't get to enjoy the really loud bov ssqv when shifting; however, using the paddle shifters you can definitely make other drivers shit their pants when it finally goes off @ 70 mph.

Currently, looking to get a JB4 with the downpipe fix as I am buying DPs from a buddy soon. Let me know if you are interested in buying my JB3.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 07:19 PM   #3
MakkkD
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 09 e92 335xi

It's like some kind of addiction right? I was off the juice for 4 years, saved up losts of $$, but after buying an e92 I'm back at it again. For the DCI the install is real simple just unbolt the stock box and place a filter on the 2 empty holes ...good luck as I can only imagine what the future holds for you
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 11:17 PM   #4
335 oClock
MOE
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 e92 335i 6MT

Send a message via AIM to 335 oClock
tsssSssssSSSSSssssssSs
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 04:06 AM   #5
turbolover
Private
United_States
Rep

Just installed the Dual Intakes I don't know if it's the ricer in me from having a STi, but I remember on my STi once the intake was installed (my first mod at that time) the turbo was sooooo much louder compared to my BMW....I know it's a different car and Burger tuning says give it a few days for the ECU to learn the air flow from these new intakes....but all in all it feels better its just not that loud, at least not loud like the subie

I love the look, again it pulls at low end allot harder, but its a really quiet "phhhhhhsheeeee" Anyone feel the same way?

I know the BOV will change all that once slapped on.....

Gimme some feed back guys.
      12-21-2011, 08:59 AM   #6
pits200
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman350 View Post
Just installed the Dual Intakes I don't know if it's the ricer in me from having a STi, but I remember on my STi once the intake was installed (my first mod at that time) the turbo was sooooo much louder compared to my BMW....I know it's a different car and Burger tuning says give it a few days for the ECU to learn the air flow from these new intakes....but all in all it feels better its just not that loud, at least not loud like the subie

I love the look, again it pulls at low end allot harder, but its a really quiet "phhhhhhsheeeee" Anyone feel the same way?

I know the BOV will change all that once slapped on.....

Gimme some feed back guys.
Couple things. The cones actually shouldn't give you much low end increase. If anything it may lose you some power very very slightly in the lower rpm range. The cones are meant to shine in the mid to higher rpm range which they allow much more air flow.

As for the sound, I definitely heard an increase in the "wooooshhhh" sound when my turbos are working.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 08:27 PM   #7
turbolover
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
Couple things. The cones actually shouldn't give you much low end increase. If anything it may lose you some power very very slightly in the lower rpm range. The cones are meant to shine in the mid to higher rpm range which they allow much more air flow.

As for the sound, I definitely heard an increase in the "wooooshhhh" sound when my turbos are working.
Disagree! On my car I noticed low to mid increase, maybe the ECU needs to learn the air flow charicterstics still...? I know a bit about this car and 100% for certian low end "I" noticed.

As far as sound on my car....wooshing sound is really faint! Maybe if I roll down the window and dont have the heater on the slight wooshing sound can be heard.

In the end I noticed a slight increase in power, so overall Im happy, and it was a good buy. Just wish it was louder
      12-21-2011, 11:30 PM   #8
pits200
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman350 View Post
Disagree! On my car I noticed low to mid increase, maybe the ECU needs to learn the air flow charicterstics still...? I know a bit about this car and 100% for certian low end "I" noticed.

As far as sound on my car....wooshing sound is really faint! Maybe if I roll down the window and dont have the heater on the slight wooshing sound can be heard.

In the end I noticed a slight increase in power, so overall Im happy, and it was a good buy. Just wish it was louder
Well the whether we argue if the gain is in the low, mid or high rpm range, the fact that your butt dyno can sense what isn't more than 5 hp is impressive.

The average person won't feel a gain unless it's in the 10+ whp gain.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2011, 03:27 PM   #9
turbolover
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
Well the whether we argue if the gain is in the low, mid or high rpm range, the fact that your butt dyno can sense what isn't more than 5 hp is impressive.

The average person won't feel a gain unless it's in the 10+ whp gain.
My butt dyno? LOL dude I don't know if this might be it, but the factory filter was pretty nasty. So maybe just a filter change would of made a improvment. Looking at results (speaking of increases) I see anywhere from 10-12hp added by this mod? Who knows, I won't dyno this beast till sometime next year, $80 for 3 pulls isn't worth with just a Intake LOL. I need to mod more. DP, Exh, Chip....Then we will dyno her
      01-02-2012, 06:56 PM   #10
RevC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: a couple fast toys

welcome, i'm also from the "sti crowd" most recently bought a 2011 spark silver, agreed on the intake, when i put the AEM in on the STI it was a lot louder than the bmw, but remember they are completely different motors and cars happy motoring.

SGM e92 335xi|Helix|AFE|AWE|PROCEDE|SYNAPSE|ER|OSS|BMW PERFORMANCE|P3|always growing..
Appreciate 0