E90Post

Bimmertech

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Washing your bimmer

04-03-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
s0nu
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2012 F30 328i BSM

Washing your bimmer

What do you do to keep your car as clean as it can be!

Do you take it to the car wash?

Do you wash it yourself? If so, what products do you use? How often do you wash it?

What do you do to keep the brake dust from turning your rims black 2 days after you wash it?

I personally used to get my car washed at the car was because, being that I had a black car, I would always see all my hard work go to waste after about 1 day because black got dirty so fast. Eventually I just got lazy and decided to get it done at the car wash.

Now my car is silver, so I'm gonna start washing it myself! Back when I used to wash it myself I used Meguiar's Gold Class shampoo for the outside, then some microfiber towels to try it off. various brands of rim chemicals to clean the brake dust off the rims, and then armor all on the tires/rims to maintain them.

(I tried searching for a thread and didn't find anything like this, so that's why I started a new one. Forgive me if its a repost)
      04-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #2
335(EX)(EYE)
Banned

Drives: e90 n54 & n55 / e46 330ci DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nu View Post

Do you wash it yourself? If so, what products do you use? How often do you wash it?

What do you do to keep the brake dust from turning your rims black 2 days after you wash it?

I personally used to get my car washed at the car was because, being that I had a black car, I would always see all my hard work go to waste after about 1 day because black got dirty so fast. Eventually I just got lazy and decided to get it done at the car wash.

Now my car is silver, so I'm gonna start washing it myself! Back when I used to wash it myself I used Meguiar's Gold Class shampoo for the outside, then some microfiber towels to try it off. various brands of rim chemicals to clean the brake dust off the rims, and then armor all on the tires/rims to maintain them.

(I tried searching for a thread and didn't find anything like this, so that's why I started a new one. Forgive me if its a repost)
wrong section
335(EX)(EYE) is offline   United_States
      04-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #3
rickysahota
UC Berkeley

Drives: 335i Coupe

I don't take it to car washes as they tend to leave swirl marks, I also have a TiAg. I used Meguiar's Gold Class as well as their Tech Wax 2.0. Turns out great. As for the wheels, most people use Sonax Wheel cleaner, however there isn't much that I know of to keep the brake dust off.

This is a picture of the Tech Wax 2.0
http://tenfifteen.net/photos/nccbmwc...ages/ss-02.jpg
rickysahota is offline   United_States
      04-03-2012, 02:47 PM   #4
udm328i
Private First Class

Drives: '08 328i coupe SprklnGraphite

Garage List
2008 BMW 328i  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nu View Post

I NO LONGER GO TO THE DRIVE THRU CAR WASH, FOR A COUPLE OF REASONS; I LOST OF COUPLE OF MY TOW HOOK COVERS, ALSO BEING TOO LOW AND DON'T TRUST THE MECHANIZED BRUSHES AND SCRUBBERS.

I SAW A 5SERIES PULLING OUT OF ONE AND THE BRUSHES HAD PULLED UP HIS WIPER BLADE AND MANGLED IT.

I STICK TO STRICTLY HAND WASHING.

I HAVE SEEN BRAKE CALIPER COVERS THAT PROTECT YOUR WHEELS FROM BRAKE DUST.
udm328i is online now   No_Country
      04-03-2012, 03:00 PM   #5
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2009 E90 N54

Wash yourself. There is an entire subforum for detailing with all of the information that you could want.

Don't use Armor-All products. They're full of formaldehyde and other harsh preservatives that can damage rubber and vinyl. Brake dust is best dealt with at the pad. Change pads to a dustless compound.
      04-03-2012, 03:57 PM   #6
sdalpha
Private First Class

Drives: ///MR e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335(EX)(EYE) View Post
wrong section
Here is a link to the Detailing section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTDOG View Post
I HAVE SEEN BRAKE CALIPER COVERS THAT PROTECT YOUR WHEELS FROM BRAKE DUST.
What do brake caliper covers have to do with brake dust? The caliper covers I've seen on the market are purely for looks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
Don't use Armor-All products. They're full of formaldehyde and other harsh preservatives that can damage rubber and vinyl. Brake dust is best dealt with at the pad. Change pads to a dustless compound.
I don't personally use Armor-All because of the shine it leaves behind, but apparently, they changed their formula a few years back, which shouldn't have the effects of the old formula. I haven't used Armor-All in years, so I wouldn't be able to tell you from first hand experience, just from what I've read.
      04-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #7
Syndicategt
Brigadier General

Drives: 335i

Hand wash only every Sunday
Never, ever, use a carwash (even touchless)
Do full detail twice a year (clay bar, abrasive, polish, sealant, finisher) - I'm a huge Zaino fan
Invest in a random orbit buffer
Use good car care products, see the Detail section for more info
Use wheel wax to minimize brake dust, or change to low dust pads
Don't forget to take care of your leather - Poorboy's leather in a bottle in my personal favorite

My car had 72,000 miles on it and was in show room quality when I sold it.....definitely helped me get max value.
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Syndicategt is offline   United_States
      04-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #8
udm328i
Private First Class

Drives: '08 328i coupe SprklnGraphite

Garage List
2008 BMW 328i  [4.50]
ABOUT THE CALIPER COVERS, IDK NEVER USED THEM BUT THAT IS WHAT ONE WEBSITE IS ADVERTISING "Protects the wheels from brake dust"
http://www.calipercovers.com/
udm328i is online now   No_Country
      04-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #9
Sara504
Lieutenant General

Drives: 2013 335is

I wash mine myself EVERY weekend. I use the products from BMW.

2013 335is-Current
2011 335i -Sold 4/13 2006 325i-Sold 7/11
Sara504 is offline   United_States
      04-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #10
sdalpha
Private First Class

Drives: ///MR e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTDOG View Post
ABOUT THE CALIPER COVERS, IDK NEVER USED THEM BUT THAT IS WHAT ONE WEBSITE IS ADVERTISING "Protects the wheels from brake dust"
http://www.calipercovers.com/
ahh.. OK, thanks. I honestly haven't looked that much into them, as for me, it's a waste of money. I may be able to see how it can reduce the amount of brake dust, but not completely prevent dust from getting on the wheel; especially with a high-dust brake pad.

As previously suggested OP, you can apply wheel wax or sealant to the wheels to help keep dust off and make them easier to clean. You can also switch to a lower dust brake pad.

As an option, you may also apply or have a pro apply a product such as Opti-Coat on the wheel.
      04-03-2012, 06:15 PM   #11
EYE4SPEED
Ex-Quattro Driver

Drives: E90 335d M-Sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicategt View Post
Hand wash only every Sunday
Never, ever, use a carwash (even touchless)
Do full detail twice a year (clay bar, abrasive, polish, sealant, finisher) - I'm a huge Zaino fan
Invest in a random orbit buffer
Use good car care products, see the Detail section for more info
Use wheel wax to minimize brake dust, or change to low dust pads
Don't forget to take care of your leather - Poorboy's leather in a bottle in my personal favorite

My car had 72,000 miles on it and was in show room quality when I sold it.....definitely helped me get max value.
What's wrong with touchless / rail-less? In some climates, even in a garage, way too cold to handwash in the winter.
      04-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #12
Wrngway
Lieutenant

Drives: '11 328i Sedan A6

I love to keep my car looking great, but I have to admit that I go to a carwash when the weather is too cold. For automated car washes, I'd recommend cloth strips, preferably without guide rails that can scratch your wheels. For an example, here's where I go. http://www.lortoncarwash.com

If at all possible, handwash. I highly recommend Zaino products. See http://www.zainostore.com.

I've used Zaino products for 14 years now and have always been amazed at how well they work. I don't obsess over car washes and polishing as much as most folks. You can make your car look great without spending that much time on it.

Here's my '04 Grand Prix, pic taken last August, after using Zaino. You know how hard it is to keep a black car looking great. This car was kept outside the entire time I had it which is over 4 years. It experienced some of the hardest snow storms that D.C. experienced in over 10 years. It has 60k miles in this pic.

Here's another pic of my '96 Camaro Z28 taken in 2002. It had almost 100k in this pic.

I recommend Zaino Z7 car soap, Z5 car polish, and Z6 detailing spray at a minumum. Z16 is awsome for tires as it doesn't sling all over your finish when you drive off. Once you've minimized swirls, Z2 is even shinier. All Zaino products are great. They're pricey, but last a long time. I've had my current bottle of tire finish since 2005.

If you don't like to spend a lot of time shining up your car, Z-CS is good for a quick shine with very little work. It only takes a few minutes to apply. It's one step and walk away.