E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Comfortable Ride Quality



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
Danny271
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2008 335XI Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: White Plains, NY

Posts: 170
iTrader: (0)

Comfortable Ride Quality

I've read all of the suspension threads regarding XI suspension setups, recommendations, combinations, etc. and it hasn't gotten me anywhere.

I have an E92 335XI w/sports suspension and OEM 19" 313 wheels w/RFT. As expected the ride is really rough, and leaves a lot to be desired.

I'm primarily looking to lower my car (not slam it), and improve ride quality (comfort). If the car handles better because of the coilover setup I choose, GREAT. This is strictly a street car/daily driver and is driven pretty mildly.

That being said, I'm looking for the best option without going overkill. I don't need a custom built setup from HP Autowerks or AST. I've read some unfavorable reviews of the KW V1 that say the ride quality/comfort isn't that great.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Here's a BEFORE photo. Hopefully you guys can steer me in the right direction and a few weeks from now I'll be able to post up an AFTER photo with my new suspension!
Attached Images
 

Last edited by Danny271; 03-06-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Danny271 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: F10 535xi / JK Wrangler
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: LI, NY

Posts: 1,758
iTrader: (7)

IMO, coilovers are overkill for street cars/daily drivers. I had KW V2's on my car last year and eventually reverted back to the OEM sport suspension because the ride was way too harsh for everyday use. It's even worse if you have shitty roads like NY does.

Eibach Pro Kit and Koni FSD seems to be the most favored combo for comfort/performance.
ZJP is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2012, 07:50 PM   #3
Zebra99
Colonel
 
Zebra99's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335is E93
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ontario

Posts: 2,230
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJP
IMO, coilovers are overkill for street cars/daily drivers. I had KW V2's on my car last year and eventually reverted back to the OEM sport suspension because the ride was way too harsh for everyday use. It's even worse if you have shitty roads like NY does.

Eibach Pro Kit and Koni FSD seems to be the most favored combo for comfort/performance.
Damnit I've heard that too and really liked the combo, however one of the vendors said it won't fit my E93 or some issue regarding weight...he then suggest I get a coilover kit instead. *cough* upsell much?
Zebra99 is online now   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2012, 09:18 PM   #4
cssnms
Brigadier General
 
cssnms's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Murland

Posts: 3,182
iTrader: (4)

EPK springs are great for what you descrive, they are very comfortable and perform well when paired with the right shocks.

Since you have an XI, you may want to poke around in the XI section, I now some members have dropped their cars on varous kits and I thought Eibach was one of them.
cssnms is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2012, 10:26 AM   #5
JRubin13
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2009 E92 335i/2012 F10 535i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 584
iTrader: (4)

Try changing the RFT's. When i changed to non RFT's the ride quality improved significantly and it was much more comfortable.
JRubin13 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #6
Stucks
Major
 
Stucks's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 335i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Montgomery County, MD

Posts: 1,377
iTrader: (7)

I changed from the oem run flat tires to continental dws tires. That helped with comfort, but switching from my kw coilovers over to eibach pro kit with pro system struts, made the car even more comfortable. The coilovers made it handle like it was on rails, but i can live with giving up some handling to gain some comfort.
__________________
Current: 2008 e92 335i coupe. FBO+e60 mix. Now with meth.
Previous: 2003 Honda Accord V6 coupe: AEM V2, zex 75 wet shot (sold)
Stucks is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2012, 09:14 PM   #7
omax2008
Private First Class
 
omax2008's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NY

Posts: 128
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny271 View Post
I've read all of the suspension threads regarding XI suspension setups, recommendations, combinations, etc. and it hasn't gotten me anywhere.

I have an E92 335XI w/sports suspension and OEM 19" 313 wheels w/RFT. As expected the ride is really rough, and leaves a lot to be desired.

I'm primarily looking to lower my car (not slam it), and improve ride quality (comfort). If the car handles better because of the coilover setup I choose, GREAT. This is strictly a street car/daily driver and is driven pretty mildly.

That being said, I'm looking for the best option without going overkill. I don't need a custom built setup from HP Autowerks or AST. I've read some unfavorable reviews of the KW V1 that say the ride quality/comfort isn't that great.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Here's a BEFORE photo. Hopefully you guys can steer me in the right direction and a few weeks from now I'll be able to post up an AFTER photo with my new suspension!
I gotta tell ya. I've had H&R coils on my xi for around 6 months and it seems to me that they are a great balance between performance and drivability.
omax2008 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #8
#Tee
Chronic trollololer level 60
 
#Tee's Avatar
 
Drives: yes
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Socal

Posts: 4,780
iTrader: (1)

I dont care what anyone says, anytime you substract suspension quality will suffer but reduce body roll and increased steering response (trade offs) The best feel would be to ditch the rft if youre asking for comfort.
__________________

#TeamStretchNpoke IG:Tee212
custom cf rear side diffuser add ons for sale (e9x,M3s,f3x) pm me for details. thread http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=962442
#Tee is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2012, 01:24 PM   #9
Danny271
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2008 335XI Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: White Plains, NY

Posts: 170
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StretchNpoke View Post
I dont care what anyone says, anytime you substract suspension quality will suffer but reduce body roll and increased steering response (trade offs) The best feel would be to ditch the rft if youre asking for comfort.
Thanks for all the advice folks. Unfortunately, I'm not willing to give up the RFT as they have saved me a few times from stopping in very bad neighborHOODS.

It looks like I'm going to do more research on coupling Eibach Pro Kit springs and Koni shocks. My only worry is that there will still be wheel gap. I want perfectly flush, no tuck, etc.

Thanks again for your input everyone!
Danny271 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST