E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Koni yellows and H&R Sport springs just installed

01-05-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
bmwfan1
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 335i

Koni yellows and H&R Sport springs just installed

This past weekend I installed brand new koni yellows w/ the H&R sport springs. I've noticed that the ass end of the car is very squirelly now. I have an appointment tomorrow to have my car aligned and hopefully take care of the minor tire rub I've got on the back left tire. I'm running 265/35's back there.

Is it normal to for the car to shift left/right while going over normal bumps with this set up? Under load the suspension feels much better, such as off/on ramps on the interstate.

I've read a few DIY's on how to adjust the Koni's for the rear. I believe that I have them set right in the middle or slightly on the stiffer side, but after going back and reading directly from Koni's site there are contradicting methods to which way stiffens/softens the rear shocks and the other DIY's I've read.

I'm hoping that the alignment will cure the minor tire rub by pulling as much negative camber as possible without camber plates. Has anyone gone through this before and had positive results? Any cure for the squirelly rear end? I've checked all of the bolts several times and everything is secure to spec. Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice. I'm new to the suspension side of the e90. Got all the power, now just need to put it down.
      01-05-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
Syndicategt
Brigadier General

Mine Konis are set at 50% in the rear, however, a LSD will fix your traction issue. If your tires are rubbing you might want to roll your fenders, use a lesser offset (or remove spacers), or try a different brand tire (some are fatter than others).

If you want to add more negative camber for free, remove the small pin on the hats of the front shocks.
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Syndicategt is offline   United_States
      01-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
bmwfan1
Second Lieutenant

Thanks for the advice on the fronts. As far as the rears go I'm not running spacers and have what I thought was a "conservative" offset. I'm hoping the camber adjustment will fix it.

Which way do YOU rotate the rears to adjust the shock stiffness?

Edit: Clockwise or Counter-clockwise when fully compressed the shock?
      01-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
Syndicategt
Brigadier General

^ Clockwise = stiffer 2.5 full turns = full stiffness for the rears. Fronts are 2 full turns for full stiff.
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /

Last edited by Syndicategt; 01-06-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Syndicategt is offline   United_States
      01-05-2012, 07:22 PM   #5
bmwfan1
Second Lieutenant

how many turns to full for the fronts? same clockwise = stiffer?
      01-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #6
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag

Drives: 1.9L of fury

The fronts have the valve on the top, which is clockwise for stiffer. You can see that on the adjustment knob, which should have come with the shocks. I think it's 2.5 turns to full stiff, but you can easily check this yourself.
mike-y is offline   United_States