E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Time For Turbo Replaecement!?!? HELP

05-10-2017, 01:14 PM   #1
LYEGUY
Private
Rep
Drives: Titanium Silver E92 335

Time For Turbo Replaecement!?!? HELP

Hello guys, I need help diagnosing my low boost/wastegate rattle problem. Initially I thought that if you had wastegate rattle you had to replace your turbos so I just bought brand new oem turbos but now I am just learning this may not be the case. My car was running great, no wastegate rattle and no 30ff low boost codes and than a few weeks ago I flashed with the MHD 93 octane flash and that's where the problems started.

The car ran great for around a week and than I started to get some rattle and than shortly after my car wasn't making as much boost and now every time I go WOT I get a 30ff low boost code. When I shut my car off and turn it back on the code goes right away and doesn't come back unless I try going wot again. The car seems to pull fine with no lag at partial or half throttle but as soon as I have any extended WOT I get the 30ff. Is this deffinately turbos or could it be something else like Boost solenoids, vacuum lines, etc???
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 01:58 PM   #2
arhoads335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Probably a bad boost leak, I'm assuming if you flash back to stock and do a WOT you dont get the low boost code. Sooo that means with the higher PSI something is expanding and leaking. Our cars usually have oil in the post turbo piping to the throttle body so maybe look for oil res near connections. Could be a number of things, diverter valves, charge pipe, inter cooler connections. Tighten those all up, if that does not help do vacuum lines. just my 2 cents im not super experienced on these gars but I recently just fixed my boost leak
BMS DCI, JB4+MHD stage 2 BEF, VRSF 3' dps, VRSF 7" intercooler, vrsf full 3.5 catback, vrsf CP + turbosmart raceport, BMS cowl delete, 335is clutch, Eibach PRO-Street Coilovers / M3 style front bumper/ BMW performance CF interior trim, M3 seats
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 02:37 PM   #3
Vincent_E90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 E90 335i 6MT BSM

Since it is new turbos I have my bets it is a boost leak somewhere.

I would start by inspecting vacuum lines to make sure there are not breaks or frays.

Make sure the diverter valves are property seated and there are no cracks.

Check for cracks in the charge pipe, then look in to the intercooler piping.

You can test the vacuum lines, after the car is warmed up and you've been driving you and pull the lines out of the vacuum canisters and they should hiss and suck in air, if they are old and brittle the tip might snap off and you might need to by a new one or JB weld the tip back in(ask me how I know). If they do not release pressure you might have found your problem

When I first for my 335i I had a vacuum line leak that made my turbos rattle like crazy. at like 75k.

Now I am at 111k and now my turbo seals are blown, do you mind me asking what turbos did you go with on your replacement?
Mine - 2008 E90 335i Black Sapphire Metallic 6MT | New OEM Turbos @ 111k| Cobb Stage 2 LT Sport | Full Stainless Steel Akrapovic Exhaust | 5'' Stepped FMIC | VRSF Catless Downpipes| 19in BBS CH-R Matte Black on Hankook Evo's [Summer] | Style 162 on Blizzaks [Winter] | aFe Stage 2 Air Intake and air scoops| Mishimoto OCC| IG: Tahoe335i
Dad's - 2011 E92 ///M3 Space Gray DCT ZCP | Akrapovic Slip-on Exhaust
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2017, 02:49 PM   #4
LYEGUY
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_E90 View Post
Since it is new turbos I have my bets it is a boost leak somewhere.

I would start by inspecting vacuum lines to make sure there are not breaks or frays.

Make sure the diverter valves are property seated and there are no cracks.

Check for cracks in the charge pipe, then look in to the intercooler piping.

You can test the vacuum lines, after the car is warmed up and you've been driving you and pull the lines out of the vacuum canisters and they should hiss and suck in air, if they are old and brittle the tip might snap off and you might need to by a new one or JB weld the tip back in(ask me how I know). If they do not release pressure you might have found your problem

When I first for my 335i I had a vacuum line leak that made my turbos rattle like crazy. at like 75k.

Now I am at 111k and now my turbo seals are blown, do you mind me asking what turbos did you go with on your replacement?
Thank you so much for the help. I'm still on my original turbos I'm gonna try all the stuff you guys suggested before they install them. Ice rather get my money back and use it for more mods if I don't have to replace the turbos. And I bought OEM replacements
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 04:34 PM   #5
Vincent_E90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 E90 335i 6MT BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYEGUY View Post
Thank you so much for the help. I'm still on my original turbos I'm gonna try all the stuff you guys suggested before they install them. Ice rather get my money back and use it for more mods if I don't have to replace the turbos. And I bought OEM replacements
I must have misread your post though you had already swapped turbos.

How many miles on the N54? Wastegate rattle is pretty normal on decel just so you know.

If you N54 is up near 80kish you might just want to save them for when they eventually go.

You'll know your turbo are on its way out by either white smoke coming out of tail pipes and under the hood(in my case it the smoke would come and go) and turbo siren(i think this is at cruising speeds, itll sound like you're being followed by a police officer), and some others that I can think of right.

Mine lasted until 111k which is pretty average, there are some horror stories of them going way earlier.

Here's my timeline
Bought used at 78k
Stage 1 tune and exhaust at 85k, added small bolt ons along the way
Stage 2 and catless downpipes at like 109k - probably played a part in the turbo seals going out.

Oil changes every ~8k miles with BMW OEM 5w-30. If you're not running any mods or high boost they will last longer with out a doubt

Best of luck, and let us know if you find the problem!
Mine - 2008 E90 335i Black Sapphire Metallic 6MT | New OEM Turbos @ 111k| Cobb Stage 2 LT Sport | Full Stainless Steel Akrapovic Exhaust | 5'' Stepped FMIC | VRSF Catless Downpipes| 19in BBS CH-R Matte Black on Hankook Evo's [Summer] | Style 162 on Blizzaks [Winter] | aFe Stage 2 Air Intake and air scoops| Mishimoto OCC| IG: Tahoe335i
Dad's - 2011 E92 ///M3 Space Gray DCT ZCP | Akrapovic Slip-on Exhaust
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2017, 09:19 PM   #6
Jklad
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Rattle does not mean your turbos are dying. Start as others said by looking at or just simply replacing all of your vacuum lines - cracks in lines are hard to see. Don't forget lines on the other side by the filters. Check hard pipe lines and check for boost leaks. You can replace your boost solenoids to rule that out. Check DVs. Doing All this will cost very little.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2017, 02:35 AM   #7
Chris@VargasTurboTech
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: All Things TurboCharged

As mentioned above... boost leak, vacuum line replace, look at boost solenoids, THEN look at turbos. Feel free to shoot me a PM or better yet an email if you would like some help troubleshooting and discussing options as you move forward.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 08:57 PM   #8
LYEGUY
Private
Rep

Thank you everyone for all your help. I'm out of town for Mother's Day but I will be trying all of this out as soon as I get back. I'll keep everyone updated on my progress
Appreciate 0