E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > **First Time Tuners** Start Here** Official Misfire Thread| Updated!



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #67
Yeahdickey
New Member
 
Drives: 08 335i Sedan
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: So Fla

Posts: 12
iTrader: (0)

So, I finally got my car back after a week .... of hell .... and this is a must read if you have misfires and the common remedy has not fixed the problem:

Recap: Went in for the Fuel Injector recall, upon inspection, the service tech found that the recall was actually done already back in May '11 at another BMW dealer (Braman BMW of Miami) and they had botched the Injector install. All 6 of the injectors were installed without the decoupling elements and/or O ring. This causes the Fuel Injector to sit deeper into the Cylinder Head, causing misfires and possibly further damage.

Now, I am out of warranty, and this dealer did not want to touch the car, because if they send the bad fuel injectors back to BMW NA for the warranty/recall claim, BMW will see the inproper install evidence and not pay them for the work.

So I called BMW NA and the Braman BMW Service and neither wanted to do anything, claiming if the work was done 7 months back, "why didn't the previous owner bring it back?". I kept saying because the problem is intermittent and not noticeable all the time.

To make matters worse, the dealer called me back and said the cylinder head would need to be replaced due to the injectors sitting too deep and boring out the hole. $9000 to replace!!!!!

Clearly, i am furious at this point, but feel like I am stuck. I went back to the dealer the next morning, got with the Service Director and the head technician and looked at my car. I could clearly see the problem and it makes sense. The Fuel Injector Tabs were also broken off from sitting too deep.

I asked point blank to the Service Tech if he really thought the cylinder head holes were that bad that it needed to be replaced or if just replacing the Fuel Injectors was enough. He said the injectors alone should solve it. They brought over another Tech and asked the same question and he agreed.

At this point, I am thinking just the Injectors will solve it, but still will cost well over a $1000 with parts and labor and i may not have 100% compression.

Point blank, I asked the Service Director if the original recall injector work was 100% to blame. He said yes, because they had regrettably done the same thing before themselves. So, I asked him if he could do anything. He said his pretty close to the Service Director over at Braman and would give him a call. He was able to convince him to send over new Injectors.

Finally, the Injectors came in and were installed correctly and I drove the car and the car feels normal.

In the end it cost me $390 in Labor and serious stress. I am still pissed off and will be calling and writing to BMW NA and pursuing to get the Cylinder Head replaced, though not counting on it.
Yeahdickey is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2012, 06:36 PM   #68
SlowerThanU
Private
 
Drives: 335i AT
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: San Jose CA

Posts: 75
iTrader: (0)

Yeahdickey,
Sorry to hear that the dealer hosed the injector install.

I assume the nasty black plug was from the cylinder with the bad injector? Reason I ask is one of my injectors looks the same and getting worse every week (will take a pick and post it later this week). I am wondering if mine is the same cause. I had my one or two of my injectors replaced several months ago...not sure if it was the same cylinder but I will check when I go to the dealer. Luckily I am still under CPO.
SlowerThanU is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #69
Yeahdickey
New Member
 
Drives: 08 335i Sedan
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: So Fla

Posts: 12
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowerThanU View Post
Yeahdickey,
Sorry to hear that the dealer hosed the injector install.

I assume the nasty black plug was from the cylinder with the bad injector? Reason I ask is one of my injectors looks the same and getting worse every week (will take a pick and post it later this week). I am wondering if mine is the same cause. I had my one or two of my injectors replaced several months ago...not sure if it was the same cylinder but I will check when I go to the dealer. Luckily I am still under CPO.
You are correct. the 2 spark plugs that were blackest were the two cylinders holes with the most deviation, but all of my injectors were installed incorrectly, those were just the two that did not sit as flush and made the problem more prominent.

My car feels good again .. though i dont know if I ever felt the car "normal" since I have only owned the car for ~45 days now. I put the JB4 back on today and car feels great. I am cautiously optimistic.
Yeahdickey is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2012, 04:45 PM   #70
Nack54
Private First Class
 
Nack54's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 coupe
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Phila

Posts: 194
iTrader: (0)

2F6C Exhaust fumeflap, input signal
29CF Misfirings, cylinder 3
29CD Misfirings, cylinder 1
30BA DME digital motor electronics, internal failure
29CC Misfirings, several cylinders
0000 Failure location not implemented

These are the codes that I'm am getting. I will go home and swap the coils and see if those are the problem. Does anyone know what 30BA code means?
Nack54 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #71
bryce
Banned
 
Drives: zhp 3-pedal
Join Date: May 2010
Location: texas

Posts: 3,177
iTrader: (22)

Garage List
^is your car an early 2007 build date? i think that code (30BA) means that your dme is done. ecu replacement is very common in that year (early 2007 build dates). there's a technical service bulletin about it.
bryce is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #72
Nack54
Private First Class
 
Nack54's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 coupe
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Phila

Posts: 194
iTrader: (0)

the car is 10/07 built. The car starts but all it does is shake and blurp. I clear the code and the only code that comes up now is the 30BA code. Im out off warranty, how much would it run me to get it fixed?
Nack54 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #73
Nack54
Private First Class
 
Nack54's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 coupe
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Phila

Posts: 194
iTrader: (0)

I cant even drive the car, stepping on the gas pedal doesnt accelerate the car. Guess im gonna call the dealer.
Nack54 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2012, 09:09 PM   #74
bryce
Banned
 
Drives: zhp 3-pedal
Join Date: May 2010
Location: texas

Posts: 3,177
iTrader: (22)

Garage List
^your Ecu is probably done. It can be $2,000+ after labor. You can do it cheaper if you find a used Ecuador and pay the dealer to code and program it. You can also buy the power pack, that comes with a new ecu
bryce is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2012, 09:22 PM   #75
dzenno
Banned
 
Drives:
Join Date: Feb 2006

Posts: 5,883
iTrader: (1)

whoever called for this to be a sticky rocks!
dzenno is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2012, 09:56 PM   #76
Nack54
Private First Class
 
Nack54's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 coupe
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Phila

Posts: 194
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce
^your Ecu is probably done. It can be $2,000+ after labor. You can do it cheaper if you find a used Ecuador and pay the dealer to code and program it. You can also buy the power pack, that comes with a new ecu
Do you know where I would be able to purchase one if it is the case with the dme.
Nack54 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-08-2012, 11:40 PM   #77
Yodaime
Just a normal member.
 
Yodaime's Avatar
 
Drives: Banh Xeo
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Louisiana

Posts: 3,398
iTrader: (12)

What about cylinder 4 misfire? First time it ever happen to me on my 2011 335is with 25k miles running 92 shell v-power FBO without meth and upgrade turbos. PM please? Turn car off and turn and it ran fine. When it misfired it was bogging really hard.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrrm1127 View Post
My life is complete. Yodaime has commented on a post with my car in it.
Yodaime is offline   Vietnam
0
Reply With Quote
      02-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #78
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
 
Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TopGearSolutions.com

Posts: 17,593
iTrader: (32)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaime View Post
What about cylinder 4 misfire? First time it ever happen to me on my 2011 335is with 25k miles running 92 shell v-power FBO without meth and upgrade turbos. PM please? Turn car off and turn and it ran fine. When it misfired it was bogging really hard.
Whether its cyl 1 r or 6 a msifire is a misfire. In your case swap coils and see if it moves. If it moves its the coilpack and it needs replacement.
Jeff@TopGearSolutions is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #79
Yodaime
Just a normal member.
 
Yodaime's Avatar
 
Drives: Banh Xeo
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Louisiana

Posts: 3,398
iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
Whether its cyl 1 r or 6 a msifire is a misfire. In your case swap coils and see if it moves. If it moves its the coilpack and it needs replacement.
moves? as in the car moves? car bogged when I added abit of gas when the misfire came up. turn off car and on and it went back to normal. a few guys in the regional said spark plugs. I am running FBO non meth on the same stock spark plugs since 06 miles till now 25687 miles.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrrm1127 View Post
My life is complete. Yodaime has commented on a post with my car in it.
Yodaime is offline   Vietnam
0
Reply With Quote
      02-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #80
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
 
Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TopGearSolutions.com

Posts: 17,593
iTrader: (32)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaime View Post
moves? as in the car moves? car bogged when I added abit of gas when the misfire came up. turn off car and on and it went back to normal. a few guys in the regional said spark plugs. I am running FBO non meth on the same stock spark plugs since 06 miles till now 25687 miles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=FsNK1ySAlSo

See if the misfire moves... ie. Goes from coil 4 to 5
Jeff@TopGearSolutions is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #81
Yodaime
Just a normal member.
 
Yodaime's Avatar
 
Drives: Banh Xeo
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Louisiana

Posts: 3,398
iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=FsNK1ySAlSo

See if the misfire moves... ie. Goes from coil 4 to 5
wow that easy? I should do this before BMW put in new spark plugs for my service in 4k miles. THANKS JEFF!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrrm1127 View Post
My life is complete. Yodaime has commented on a post with my car in it.
Yodaime is offline   Vietnam
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2012, 05:23 PM   #82
ETexas335
Private
 
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas

Posts: 65
iTrader: (0)

My half power engine light comes on if i give it anything past about half throttle. It's way down on power, but starts right up and runs smoothly. The light resets every time i shut it off and restart it. I hook up my code reader every time and it shows no codes! Wtf is going on?
ETexas335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2012, 06:10 PM   #83
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
 
Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TopGearSolutions.com

Posts: 17,593
iTrader: (32)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETexas335 View Post
My half power engine light comes on if i give it anything past about half throttle. It's way down on power, but starts right up and runs smoothly. The light resets every time i shut it off and restart it. I hook up my code reader every time and it shows no codes! Wtf is going on?
Universal code readers wont find these codes sometimes. You need a reader designed for BMW's. Que Bavarian Technic Tool.

It also takes 3 instances before a code to show up sometimes. However, it may be stored in shadow codes, again, only read by BMW readers.

Depending on your tune you may be able to see the code as well.
Jeff@TopGearSolutions is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2012, 06:12 PM   #84
ETexas335
Private
 
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas

Posts: 65
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
Universal code readers wont find these codes sometimes. You need a reader designed for BMW's. Que Bavarian Technic Tool.

It also takes 3 instances before a code to show up sometimes. However, it may be stored in shadow codes, again, only read by BMW readers.

Depending on your tune you may be able to see the code as well.
I was afriad that may be the case. What's the least expensive BMW code reader?
ETexas335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2012, 10:08 PM   #85
ETexas335
Private
 
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas

Posts: 65
iTrader: (0)

Even though I'm not seeing any codes, it certainly appears that I have boost leak of some sort.
ETexas335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-20-2012, 12:42 AM   #86
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
 
Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TopGearSolutions.com

Posts: 17,593
iTrader: (32)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETexas335 View Post
I was afriad that may be the case. What's the least expensive BMW code reader?
http://www.topgearsolutions.com/bmscantocore.html

Otherwise

http://www.topgearsolutions.com/batecadireto.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETexas335 View Post
Even though I'm not seeing any codes, it certainly appears that I have boost leak of some sort.
What other mods are on the vehicle? It is very possible.
Jeff@TopGearSolutions is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-20-2012, 01:45 PM   #87
ETexas335
Private
 
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas

Posts: 65
iTrader: (0)

It's stock except for an Injen intake. It's a 2007, so I can't use the $79 cable?
ETexas335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-20-2012, 09:49 PM   #88
ETexas335
Private
 
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Texas

Posts: 65
iTrader: (0)

Also, today I took off my intake and pulled the diverter valves and cleaned the seals/neck area. Didn't help...
ETexas335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:37 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST