E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > St coilover install question

01-06-2012, 08:55 PM   #1
Bigblack335
Private First Class

Drives: 335i 2008

St coilover install question

Installed rear coilovers and one side of the strut top looks normal, where the other side sticks up 1 1/2 inch fr flush. Was I supposed to have the 1 1/2 tube on top of the strut before I pushed it up into the fender? I\'m guessing this is the problem.

If this is the case, is it possible to push it down enough to install the strut correctly without uninstalling the Lower control arm?

Last edited by Bigblack335; 01-06-2012 at 11:07 PM.
      01-06-2012, 11:07 PM   #2
Bigblack335
Private First Class

Drives: 335i 2008

It comes up when car is on the ground and goes back down when the car is jacked up.
      01-07-2012, 02:26 AM   #3
NiVeDh
Major General

Drives: '08 E90 335i 6MT BSM

Garage List
Definitely a problem with the install. You can remove the shock without unbolting the control arm (and messing up the alignment) if that's what you're asking.

It's tricky and slightly dangerous but here's what you have to do:

Jack up the car, remove wheel. Unbolt the shock at the bottom and top.

Then, compress the shock and take it out of the control arm. This is the hardest part. I jacked up the hub with an extra jack to compress the shock and then released the jack quickly while holding the shock in place and taking it out. I didn't have anyone to assist so it was a major pain. I highly recommend having a helper for this step.

Good luck.
NiVeDh is offline   India
      01-15-2012, 09:56 PM   #4
daMau
Private First Class

Drives: '07 335i

Bigblack - I just had someone install ST Coilovers on my car, and both rear shocks are doing this on my car as well.

Can you please let me know what needed to be done to fix this? I imagine I can just take care of the rears myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblack335 View Post
Installed rear coilovers and one side of the strut top looks normal, where the other side sticks up 1 1/2 inch fr flush. Was I supposed to have the 1 1/2 tube on top of the strut before I pushed it up into the fender? I\'m guessing this is the problem.

If this is the case, is it possible to push it down enough to install the strut correctly without uninstalling the Lower control arm?