E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Need help with lower window sill trim

06-12-2017, 12:02 PM   #1
tisdrew
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Need help with lower window sill trim

Thanks in advance for reading!

PROBLEM
I have an e90 Sedan but window sill covers won't fit back in.
I have both chrome and black covers for the lower rear window weatherstrip part #51357220190. I wanted to put the black cover in where the chrome was in.

Name:  s-l500.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  19.9 KB
Name:  realoem_sill.JPG
Views: 120
Size:  49.3 KB

SEARCHED
After some searching on these forums to no avail (mostly e92 posts unrelated), I turned to youtubing it. It seems like pulling out the rubber weatherstrip is how to do it.
Source:This video shows what I'm talking about.

Over at bimmerfest, thread with more part numbers but not DIY.

Bimmerfest has plenty of topics on the e46 trim but not e90 much to my dismay.

TRIED
Alright, with that youtube vid, seems easy enough, but even with the weatherstrip out, can't get EITHER black or chrome to fit back into groove/valley. That video shows it just snaps in for that guy, but not for me. I definitely tried putting a lot of force into "shoving" it into the groove. My weather strip is older and is very stiff/inflexible and I'm wondering if a new version might be more malleable. My friend is a bodyshop worker but not for BMW and he couldn't get it slotted in despite trying for ~20 minutes so we think we're missing on some technique or something.

Name:  20170610_183335.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  159.6 KB

Only thing that sort of works is when I pull on either side of the weatherstripping to "open up" the valley and allows the "lip" to slide in perfectly. Even using this technique, the inside lip doesn't stay into it except for maybe the first hand-length/4". The rubber strip is also really stiff -- my hands get cramps trying to keep pulling apart for more than 10 minutes. I can't tell/feel if the lip is getting slotted in which makes me think it isn't since it pops out once I let go to give my hands a break.

So, after hours of fiddling and searching, I can't seem to find a solution to my problem which doesn't involve "take it to a bodyshop" or buying new parts in hopes they fit easier.

Name:  20170610_183329.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  93.0 KB

I've been riding around with just my weatherstrip in which goes back in the door easily. Are my only solutions to (1) take it to a bodyshop or (2) buy completely new parts? I'd really not like to pay for new parts as I don't think there's anything WRONG with the ones I have but I've already spent a good amount of time on this. Please do link me a DIY if you guys are able to find one!

PART LINKS
ECS for $180, other places were over $200

Ebay link for $60
      06-12-2017, 04:26 PM   #2
El Cheapo Loco
douchebaggo
Rep
Drives: stick

The piece with the red arrow and the one with the white arrow together is one part with one part number. As far as I know you can't buy them separately and once separated, it's next to impossible to put them back together.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 04:40 PM   #3
tisdrew
Rep

Alright, thanks buddy. I was just hoping there was a way to put them back together.
      06-24-2017, 03:25 PM   #4
cranelec
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2011 335i xDrive  [0.00]
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
What I did

I just replaced my Drivers Door and had to remove the chrome trim from the damaged door and install it on the new one. Thinking this trim part would not cost over $50 dollars was my first mistake (New lower door sill trim (black or chrome) was over $200. Extreme care needs to be taken during the removal process.
The chrome trim does NOT snap into place! I used a lot of spray foam window cleaner to act as a lubricant to slide the chrome trim back onto/into the slot. To repair the front door, I used the following steps:
NOTE: You actually need help in the form of two pairs of human hands in addition to your own. I used my wife and adult Son.
1. The mirror must be removed and window rolled down.
2. Spray liberal amounts of foaming window cleaner on the
3. Starting at the rear of the door begin sliding the trim back onto the groove.
4. After two inches, have the first helper apply pressure to the trim as you progress towards the front of the car. You need your hands to provide consistent linear forward pressure to prevent damage/distortion to the trim. Spray additional amounts of foaming window cleaner as required to provide lubrication as necessary.
5. Approximately half way through the re-installation, the second set of hands are now required to prevent the chrome trim from popping off. Spray additional amounts of foaming window cleaner as required to provide lubrication as necessary.
6. Continue the application of consistent forward linear pressure until the job is complete.
7. Have a drink, you earned it.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 01:38 PM   #5
tisdrew
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranelec View Post
I just replaced my Drivers Door and had to remove the chrome trim from the damaged door and install it on the new one. Thinking this trim part would not cost over $50 dollars was my first mistake (New lower door sill trim (black or chrome) was over $200. Extreme care needs to be taken during the removal process.
The chrome trim does NOT snap into place! I used a lot of spray foam window cleaner to act as a lubricant to slide the chrome trim back onto/into the slot. To repair the front door, I used the following steps:
NOTE: You actually need help in the form of two pairs of human hands in addition to your own. I used my wife and adult Son.
1. The mirror must be removed and window rolled down.
2. Spray liberal amounts of foaming window cleaner on the
3. Starting at the rear of the door begin sliding the trim back onto the groove.
4. After two inches, have the first helper apply pressure to the trim as you progress towards the front of the car. You need your hands to provide consistent linear forward pressure to prevent damage/distortion to the trim. Spray additional amounts of foaming window cleaner as required to provide lubrication as necessary.
5. Approximately half way through the re-installation, the second set of hands are now required to prevent the chrome trim from popping off. Spray additional amounts of foaming window cleaner as required to provide lubrication as necessary.
6. Continue the application of consistent forward linear pressure until the job is complete.
7. Have a drink, you earned it.

Ah, thank you for the idea of using lubricant! I'll give this a shot later this week with helping hands.

I know what you mean about distorting the trim, definitely need to be careful to not bend the rubber.