E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Functional Shark Fin Retrofit Help

09-13-2016, 04:40 AM   #1
Sensible_
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

As part of a project car I'm working on (2007 e90 325D M Sport) I want to install a fully functional factory shark fin. It's to accompany an idrive retrofit with DAB. I don't want a dash / window mounted antenna.

There doesn't seem much info around onto how to fix the antenna to the roof. The photo below appears to show a metal bracket flush to the roof which the antenna fits into. Alas I cannot find a part number this piece.

Also the antenna seems to be screwed into the roof only at the rear? Is this the only point the antenna fixes to the roof?

I have already made a 3M gasket seal for the shark fin housing and have the diversity antenna installed underneath.

Any help appreciated. This should be a simple retrofit. Maybe someone would be kind enough to quickly take off the plastic trim at the back of the car under their shark fin and upload a photo of the underneath for me?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 05:10 AM   #2
2real4u
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

You don't need shark on roof for DAB, this is for GPS, telematic stuff. All you need is diversity antenna with DAB under roof on back, yellow for band 3 and green for band L. Yellow connector must be wired with CIC or DAB module if CCC. Green connector is not required but can be wired as well. DAB and TV use rear window network.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 07:00 AM   #3
Sensible_
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2real4u
You don't need shark on roof for DAB, this is for GPS, telematic stuff. All you need is diversity antenna with DAB under roof on back, yellow for band 3 and green for band L. Yellow connector must be wired with CIC or DAB module if CCC. Green connector is not required but can be wired as well. DAB and TV use rear window network.
Thanks, but I forgot to add I like the look of the shark fin, so why not? Plus I'll be using it for GPS via TCU to the CCC...

If worst comes to worst I'll make my own bracket.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 07:42 AM   #4
2real4u
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

I may have full antenna somewhere at home, let you know if find it.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 10:56 AM   #5
Sensible_
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2real4u
I may have full antenna somewhere at home, let you know if find it.
Cheers, appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 07:25 AM   #6
4foothill
Rep
Drives: E90 325i LCI

Did you have to drill a hole in the roof panel to pass through the cables or did you replace it?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 07:44 PM   #7
Sensible_
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4foothill
Did you have to drill a hole in the roof panel to pass through the cables or did you replace it?
I haven't done it yet, I have all the parts ready but no time until maybe next week.

I plan on drilling the holes and dremeling out a small section. I worked out how it attaches now. See pics below:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 11:34 AM   #8
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
I haven't done it yet, I have all the parts ready but no time until maybe next week.

I plan on drilling the holes and dremeling out a small section. I worked out how it attaches now. See pics below:
Pretty sure that is my old car!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 12:55 PM   #9
Sensible_
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgandy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post

Pretty sure that is my old car!
It probably is! Pics off this forum.

Just need to get my dremel blade sorted then I'll be cutting into he told soon! Trying my best to draw a good template off your photo combined with the fin and housing.
Appreciate 0