E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > AP coilovers - KW V1 at half the price ?

01-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #1
tscdennab
Banned

Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW  [3.12]
AP coilovers - KW V1 at half the price ?

Hi,

In my research to an upcoming suspension, I stumbled upon a brand of coilovers - AP coilovers. They are quite cheap, like 60% of the KW V1 price. But they are not found in the US, as far as I know. Can be imported, however The price is like 470EUR without VAT...

They are designed by KW, as far as I read on all forums. But I think they are also made by KW, like the ST ones.

Here is a visual comparison between AP and KW V1. They look identical to me:

http://www.e90-forum.de/e90-e91-e92-...877#post326696

What do you think ?

Last edited by tscdennab; 01-08-2012 at 07:40 PM.
      02-02-2012, 05:02 AM   #2
Cozy
Major

Drives: E82 135i

Yes these are made by KW and are very popular over here in the UK. The brand is separated into three companies with quality varying slightly between them all as you might expect due to the price difference.

KW - Top of the line, stainless steel, plastic spring perches (corrosion resistant), best quality internal components, twin tube, most comfortable ride, helper springs, TUV approved, enough said

Weitec - Mid range, galvanised steel, plastic spring perches (corrosion resistant), internals reported to be near as good as KW but not confirmed if they are actually the same, twin tube, ride quality comparable to KW, helper springs, TUV approved

AP - Base range, zinc plated, anodised metal spring perch, lowest grade internal components, harder springs, reported to have the harshest ride quality, helper springs, TUV approved

The above is not to say the APs are bad, plenty of people over here have been using them through a couple of hard Winters and they are still going well but it depend if you can live with a harder ride. Personally I'd choose Weitec unless it's the race track you're buying for, then KW and the V2's at the least.
Cozy is offline   United Kingdom
      03-10-2012, 05:14 AM   #3
Mike oxlong
Private First Class

Drives: E92 335d A M Sport highline

Garage List
Hey Jam Jay, do you know what the UK equivalent of the ST coilover is please? Im guessing Weitec?
      03-13-2012, 02:44 AM   #4
Cozy
Major

Drives: E82 135i

Hi Mike,

Yes, that'd be Weitec. They use the same galvanised steel housing and by the looks of it, the springs are the same. The only difference is branding and colour (Weitec green, ST black).
Cozy is offline   United Kingdom