E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY- Transfer case shift actuator motor servo- 5F39

Comment

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
DIY- Transfer case shift actuator motor servo- 5F39
Published by freon480
01-08-2012
DIY- Transfer case shift actuator motor servo- 5F39

So i recently purchased a 2006 325xi. ABS DSC and Red brake light were on. i scanned the ABS module with my snap on scanner and came up with code 5F39 which reads: transfer case internal error. i know ive seen a few people get this and freak out thinking their tcase is toast which is not the case. the tcase actuator has a series of gears inside which eventualy start to break up requiring replacement of the unit it self. i opened up the old one and as of now parts are not available for it and it looks like more trouble then its worth to try and Fab new gears so we replace it. list price on the actuator is about $600. i replaced in on the lift in the shop i work in in just under 30 mins. tools needed:
13mm socket,19mm socket,19mm wrench,inverted torx set(i belive E3,E4,E6,E8),a pick, prybar and hammer,7 or 8mm socket, block of wood, jack and jack stands or pole jack if you have luxury of using a lift.
so here we go:
first you will need to either get car on a lift or if you are going to try this on the ground i would recommend putting it up on 4 jack stands. the higher the better as you will need room for leverage later on. you will then want to set up a jack with a block of wood under transfercase as in the next step you will be removing the support for transfercase and transmission.

above we start by removing the transmission/transfer case support. there are 3 13mm bolts on each side of it and 2 8 or 7mm bolts that fasten the exhaust heat shields to it.

next you want to remove the 2 inverted torx screws supporting the exhast to give it some room for the next step

next youll wanna remove the 19mm bold and nut that attach the transfercase mount to the support. the bolt is quite a pain to get out. this is the hardest part of the whole job. it will take some prying of the exhaust and i used a hammer and prybar to hit it out along with raising the tcase w jack. which all though was a pain it was certainly quicker than removing the actual exhaust
a
a shot of the nut on back of mount

ok now with some wiggling after bolt is out you drop down the support and now you can see that costly bastard.

first you wanna unplug the two plugs which are seen on the red arrows, then remove the small E4 screw in the green arrow to get access to remove the 3 E8 screws fastening the motor to the Tcase. its as simple as just pulling it out now. you may lose some fluid depending on the angle your car is.

i used a pick to unplug smaller plug

close up of why you need to remove sensor on motor to get out right lower screw. almost all bmw screws are onetime use. so discard the old ones. the new motor comes with new screws. install all in reverse order.

ooh this is where anticipation of awd again starts to build

in yellow you see the transfer case fill plug. i took this as an opportunty to change my transfer case fluid as well. if not top it off through here. once youve got it all back together you are done! DUH. start the car up and the lights will be off. no need to reset computer or bring to dealer. just drive it.
any questions feel free to ask!
Tutorial Tools
By SalernoFamily on 01-15-2012, 02:56 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
Average 20%
e91 transfer case fluid change

This is a great write up. I don't have any issues with my e91 transfer case. However, I want to change the oil in it. The darn fill-plug is in the most obscure place possible. Thus, in your opinion, do you think the only way to fill her back up is by removing the transmission support bracket, which would allow enough room to access the fill-plug? Please, advise.
By freon480 on 01-17-2012, 07:40 PM
Member reviews
60%60%60%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
40%40%40%
20%20%20%
Average 40%
i dont see how you could fill it with the support in there. the support bracket blocks the fill plug. the drain is easily accesable with it still in the car but thats only half the battle lol. good luck!
By killakill on 02-09-2013, 07:35 AM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
N e one know how much fluid is needed in the t case? Did you use one of those vaccumm tools with the rubber hose to fill the t case?
By JLa2r on 06-25-2014, 01:49 PM
I have a 2006 330xi with the same problem. Do you have the correct part number for the Transfer Case Actuator? Is it 27 10 7 546 671? I've seen numerous part numbers in various threads and can't distinguish which is for an E90 and which for an X3/X5.

Also, if attempting this repair without a lift, is it possible to only jack up the car with two jack stands? If so, which would be easier: the front or rear?

Thanks!!
By roadkillrob on 08-11-2014, 06:49 PM
In case this helps anyone, looks like someone is making a new gear to replace the one that wears out finally - $450 cheaper than replacing the whole actuator motor.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bmw-Transfer...3D261382410554
Comment