E90Post
 


GT Haus
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > Dont Ask Dont Tell Repeal



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-28-2010, 06:32 AM   #1
X6M-adness
New Member
 
Drives: 650i
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: LA

Posts: 8
iTrader: (0)

Dont Ask Dont Tell Repeal

...discuss. What do BMW Drivers think
X6M-adness is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-28-2010, 07:18 AM   #2
mfeltiii
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: '10 AW E92 6mt
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: S. FLA

Posts: 262
iTrader: (1)

I think it will require some logistical changes to everyday life in the military, but it is still the right thing to do. Gay members of the military give just as much and make the same sacrifices as straight ones and should not have to hide who they are.
mfeltiii is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-28-2010, 11:54 AM   #3
11Series
.
 
Drives: BMW turned up to 11
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: These things go to eleven

Posts: 668
iTrader: (0)

It has been repealed. It is now the law of the land. Soldiers follow the law. End of discussion.
11Series is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-28-2010, 05:38 PM   #4
OldArmy
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Central Virginia

Posts: 523
iTrader: (0)

Exactly. I get mighty tired of the military being dragged into the political conversation. So the people say, so the military does. Ain't nothing but a thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Series View Post
It has been repealed. It is now the law of the land. Soldiers follow the law. End of discussion.
OldArmy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-28-2010, 06:13 PM   #5
quagmire
I am Gundam
 
quagmire's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Cadillac ATS 3.6 AWD
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 1,134
iTrader: (0)

I am happy that it got repealed.

Though I laugh at McCain's attempt to stall it.

" I will support it if the military leaders say they are ok with it."

Military leaders, " Ok by us"

McCain, " Now I want a review and a survey done of our serviceman of what they think"

Review, " 70% support repeal"

McCain, " I want another review done!"

If you don't want to repeal DADT, then just come out and say it. Don't try to hide behind these BS acts.

Like integrating blacks and women into the military, nothing is going to change. They are all people who want to serve and protect their country.
quagmire is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2011, 11:40 AM   #6
4nroots
Subluxator
 
4nroots's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335d, E93 M3
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Toronto

Posts: 450
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
I am happy that it got repealed.

Though I laugh at McCain's attempt to stall it.

" I will support it if the military leaders say they are ok with it."

Military leaders, " Ok by us"

McCain, " Now I want a review and a survey done of our serviceman of what they think"

Review, " 70% support repeal"

McCain, " I want another review done!"

If you don't want to repeal DADT, then just come out and say it. Don't try to hide behind these BS acts.

Like integrating blacks and women into the military, nothing is going to change. They are all people who want to serve and protect their country.
Excellent post
__________________
E90 335d LeMans Blue, M-Sport, Exec, Premium, Nav, 260s
E93 M3 Space Grey, Fully loaded
If I lived in Germany, I'd be proud to drive domestic!
4nroots is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-09-2011, 10:20 AM   #7
Z4Murder
Major
 
Z4Murder's Avatar
 
Drives: > speed limit
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY

Posts: 1,029
iTrader: (1)

I think it is going to hurt the military in certain ways. like group morale and things of that nature. not sure how i would feel if i went through basic training again and into those crowded shower bays with an openly gay kid looking at me
__________________
2007 TiAg ///MCoupe
{} Dinan strut bars {} ZHP knob {} RPI scoop {} Ultimate Pedals {} RE Diablo {} 9500ix {} 3.91 TMS gears {} Forgestar F14 {} Gruppe-M {} Nitto NT05 {} TMS pullies {} Zeck CDV {} RE tranny mounts {} Tekarbon {} Mstache 2 {}
New ride: '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland... No more snow for the M!
Z4Murder is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-09-2011, 05:26 PM   #8
1997gtx
Lieutenant
 
1997gtx's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 328xi | 08 S5 | 02 S4
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: CT

Posts: 530
iTrader: (0)

The "group morale" theory has been tried and practiced when blacks were allowed to serve. Turned out OK.
__________________
08 328xi - SOLD | 08 S5 | 02 S4
1997gtx is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2011, 10:31 AM   #9
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
 
xbook's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Northridge, CA

Posts: 1,533
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
I find it interesting that there is still an arm of the US Gov't that allows discrimination based on sexual preference.
__________________
xbook is offline   Zimbabwe
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2011, 10:44 AM   #10
quagmire
I am Gundam
 
quagmire's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Cadillac ATS 3.6 AWD
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 1,134
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4Murder View Post
I think it is going to hurt the military in certain ways. like group morale and things of that nature. not sure how i would feel if i went through basic training again and into those crowded shower bays with an openly gay kid looking at me
The only thing that is going to change is you know he is gay. He would still be looking at you even if DADT wasn't repealed. Only difference is you may not have caught him looking at you......
quagmire is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2011, 11:57 AM   #11
Z4Murder
Major
 
Z4Murder's Avatar
 
Drives: > speed limit
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY

Posts: 1,029
iTrader: (1)

valid points. cant say im homophobic, but i feel like this would bother alot of people already in the military.
__________________
2007 TiAg ///MCoupe
{} Dinan strut bars {} ZHP knob {} RPI scoop {} Ultimate Pedals {} RE Diablo {} 9500ix {} 3.91 TMS gears {} Forgestar F14 {} Gruppe-M {} Nitto NT05 {} TMS pullies {} Zeck CDV {} RE tranny mounts {} Tekarbon {} Mstache 2 {}
New ride: '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland... No more snow for the M!
Z4Murder is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2011, 12:06 PM   #12
MONSTER11
Private First Class
 
Drives: '11 Mustang 5.0
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: HOUSTON, TEXAS

Posts: 196
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
The only thing that is going to change is you know he is gay. He would still be looking at you even if DADT wasn't repealed. Only difference is you may not have caught him looking at you......
Exactly... So what is the big deal??? Why do gay people find it necessary to let everyone know they are gay? If they just keep their mouth shut everything is A-okay...
MONSTER11 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2011, 02:08 PM   #13
quagmire
I am Gundam
 
quagmire's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Cadillac ATS 3.6 AWD
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 1,134
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER11 View Post
Exactly... So what is the big deal??? Why do gay people find it necessary to let everyone know they are gay? If they just keep their mouth shut everything is A-okay...
They are not going to go parade around and announce they are gay for the world to hear. They just don't want to be forced to hide who they are.
quagmire is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2011, 02:26 PM   #14
PINeely
Major
 
Drives: 2009 E90 N54
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS

Posts: 1,390
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER11 View Post
Exactly... So what is the big deal??? Why do gay people find it necessary to let everyone know they are gay? If they just keep their mouth shut everything is A-okay...
Don't be ignorant. This stereotype, that all gay people feel the need to make a big deal about their sexuality, is ridiculous (unless they are a member of the Village People i guess ). See "the closet."

Attitudes such as yours are why some gay people want to conceal their sexuality in the first place. They're also why you have things like gay pride parades and "flamers" and all of those facets of gay culture that you hate. All of them developed as a way to offset and escape the oft-assumed need to conceal homosexuality.

So few people distinguish themselves as what they are. Most people's identities are based upon what they are NOT.
__________________
PINeely is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2011, 02:31 PM   #15
Zell
Captain
 
Zell's Avatar
 
Drives: 330Ci ZHP 6sp
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC

Posts: 779
iTrader: (0)

One of my two room mates is gay. Wanna know what it's like living with a gay person?

Exactly like living with a straight person. Only difference is he will occasionally bring a guy over, and at times he brings really hot girls over that he and his friends have zero interest in since they're gay. Ends up working in my favor. They don't make out on the couch or anything like that if any one of us is around; they are exactly like any straight person, except...you know with dudes instead of girls.

The notion that people think gay people are going to go out and rape you and are uncontrollable sex fanatics is the most retarded stereotype. So the fact that people are seriously worried that a gay guy is going to be eyeing them in the army - so what? There's a possibility, yes, but if they know you are straight (or you tell them you are), they aren't going to sit there and hit on you. Christ. People make such big deals out of such little things.
Zell is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2011, 02:53 PM   #16
PINeely
Major
 
Drives: 2009 E90 N54
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS

Posts: 1,390
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4Murder View Post
I think it is going to hurt the military in certain ways. like group morale and things of that nature.
I disagree actually; people's personal opinions of gays may cause disparity on an individual basis but for the most part group morale should be GREATLY improved among and between gay soldiers themselves. This is why all-black military divisions have historically been so successful.
__________________
PINeely is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2011, 06:27 PM   #17
MONSTER11
Private First Class
 
Drives: '11 Mustang 5.0
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: HOUSTON, TEXAS

Posts: 196
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
So few people distinguish themselves as what they are. Most people's identities are based upon what they are NOT.
Exactly, so why do they feel need to fight DADT? Just go on about your buisness and don't promote your sexuality and everything would be fine. I think there are way more important things to worry about in this country than whether or not someone can openly serve.
MONSTER11 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2011, 06:30 PM   #18
MONSTER11
Private First Class
 
Drives: '11 Mustang 5.0
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: HOUSTON, TEXAS

Posts: 196
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
Attitudes such as yours are why some gay people want to conceal their sexuality in the first place. They're also why you have things like gay pride parades and "flamers" and all of those facets of gay culture that you hate. All of them developed as a way to offset and escape the oft-assumed need to conceal homosexuality.
Did I say I hate anything or anyone? I don't care if they are gay. I just think they should keep it to themselves instead of having to make sure everyone they meet knows they are gay.
MONSTER11 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2011, 08:07 PM   #19
quagmire
I am Gundam
 
quagmire's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Cadillac ATS 3.6 AWD
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 1,134
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER11 View Post
Exactly, so why do they feel need to fight DADT? Just go on about your buisness and don't promote your sexuality and everything would be fine. I think there are way more important things to worry about in this country than whether or not someone can openly serve.
Why did blacks want integration into the military? They could serve their country the same way whites do, but in a different unit. There are way more important things about in this country then worrying about who serves with who.
quagmire is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2011, 11:02 AM   #20
1997gtx
Lieutenant
 
1997gtx's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 328xi | 08 S5 | 02 S4
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: CT

Posts: 530
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTER11 View Post
Did I say I hate anything or anyone? I don't care if they are gay. I just think they should keep it to themselves instead of having to make sure everyone they meet knows they are gay.
And why wouldn't they keep it to themselves? Do straight people walk around telling everyone they are straight? Why do straight people think gay people act so openly about their sexuality?
__________________
08 328xi - SOLD | 08 S5 | 02 S4
1997gtx is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2011, 01:02 PM   #21
11Series
.
 
Drives: BMW turned up to 11
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: These things go to eleven

Posts: 668
iTrader: (0)

MONSTER -

So how does it feel to be on the wrong side of history?

I'm sure the folks who fought blacks and women being included in the military must have felt the same way you feel now. Nice company you keep.
11Series is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2011, 01:20 PM   #22
11Series
.
 
Drives: BMW turned up to 11
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: These things go to eleven

Posts: 668
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbook View Post
I find it interesting that there is still an arm of the US Gov't that allows discrimination based on sexual preference.
You are joking, right? The US Gov't openly discriminates against gays in tons of different ways. For example, just look at the federal Defense of Marriage act that specifically discriminates against gays. It is an entire law that ONLY applies to restricting benefits to gays. No heterosexuals are subject to the restrictions under this law.

If you are a non-contract gov't employee that is in a non-unionized gov't job in an "At Will" employment state, it is completely legal to fire you for being gay. Your boss can come in and say "You are gay, so you are fired" and you have no legal recourse.

Repealing DADT still doesn't even put gays in the military on equal footing as heterosexuals. A married heterosexual in the military is given benefits for his/her family that a legally married homosexual will not be given due to the Defense of Marriage act. Even in the US military, gays will still face systematic institutional discrimination. They just can't be "fired" anymore just for being openly gay.


Unfortunately, folks like MONSTER still hold enough power to continue to openly and legally discriminate against gays. And they are proud about it!

Last edited by 11Series; 02-11-2011 at 01:54 PM.
11Series is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:48 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST