E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > *Official* Active Autowerke Flash Thread

05-17-2012, 02:11 AM   #881
gunnerxq
Captain

Drives: e90 "325i"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjie View Post
i dont think so. honestly, even if you do dyno, its hard to compare to other cars numbers, to many variables involved (type of dyno, mods, mileage, etc.) i'm happy with how my car feels, just wish i knew if my car was faster or on par with the stock 330i. it should be, but never drove the 330i.
If you have the stage 3 manifold then trust me its is.
      05-17-2012, 07:28 AM   #882
Eternal
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke View Post
I keep getting this question so I might as well Post it.

3 stage manifold part numbers

Here are the parts you need:

11617559523 Intake Manifold
11617559530 Vent Hose
11617579114 Adjustor Unit
11617560538 Adjustor Unit 2
11617547242 Gasket set
11617535849 x5 Screw 50x20
11617535850 x2 Screw 50x35
11617535851 x1 Screw 50x66
Thanks for an easy list, been shopping for parts.
Eternal is offline   United_States
      05-17-2012, 09:00 AM   #883
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: 2014 435I M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal View Post
Thanks for an easy list, been shopping for parts.
No problem.
      05-17-2012, 10:01 AM   #884
pdubze90
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2006 330i

I have the AA tune, will I feel a difference in power with 94 octane opposed to using 91 octane...Canadians with this tune pls chime in if you have felt a difference or is it a waste of money using the Petro 94 Octane
      05-17-2012, 11:21 AM   #885
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdubze90 View Post
I have the AA tune, will I feel a difference in power with 94 octane opposed to using 91 octane...Canadians with this tune pls chime in if you have felt a difference or is it a waste of money using the Petro 94 Octane

We recommend 93 oct if possible.
      05-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #886
pdubze90
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2006 330i

Here in Canada I have only seen 91 or 94 but no 93...Is the 94 that I am using allowing the most potential out of the tune?
      05-17-2012, 01:31 PM   #887
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdubze90 View Post
Here in Canada I have only seen 91 or 94 but no 93...Is the 94 that I am using allowing the most potential out of the tune?
Yes that is correct.
      05-17-2012, 01:40 PM   #888
jakuum
Private First Class

Drives: SGM e92 335i M-sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakuum View Post
I've always filled up at the local Chevron with 93 octane.
Yea jerkiness is still there today . I'm going to flash it back to the stock file when I get a chance.
jakuum is offline   United_States
      05-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #889
ska///235i
***** noob

Drives: M235i

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Andrew, My AA tune is nothing but trouble.

I have put over 120 miles on the AA tune, but nothing have change to my car as far as performance goes. Did I get a bad file or a bad tool?

Below are the problems I’m having after the Flash, none of these happen before the flash.

- If I step on the gas pedal all the way down (WOT), It makes a sound under the engine when the pedal hits the furthest point…..it makes a “BOOT” sound. This sound occurs every time the gas pedal reaches the end.

- Engine will occasionally misfire when at idle/stop in D (Drive) and/or moving in reverse, but car is fine in P (Park). Maybe it’s not a misfire but here is an Example: Engine idles at normal 6k rpm at a Stoplight and all of a sudden rpm jumps higher for 1-2 second and the entire car vibrates but then will go back to normal idle.

- My Laptop crash a day after I install the Simon Tool software/tool….coincidence I hope?
      05-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #890
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke

Well that is weird we have done hundreds of these tunes now with out many problems.

Silly question but did you remove the pbx?

I will be forwarding this to software. Please check your Pm box.
      05-22-2012, 05:17 PM   #891
ska///235i
***** noob

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke View Post
Well that is weird we have done hundreds of these tunes now with out many problems.

Silly question but did you remove the pbx?

I will be forwarding this to software. Please check your Pm box.

pbx has been off for a while.

thanks for looking into this
      05-22-2012, 10:04 PM   #892
Neutrino45
Major

Drives: XXX

6K idle is not normal... You should get that checked.
      05-22-2012, 10:10 PM   #893
DESI4life10
Banned

Drives: Coding: Desi4life10@gmail.com

Just to give everyone a heads up.

I got bimmersport to load up the AA tune on my car. This shop is great and the service is top notch. Was taken care of from the very start and they had the greatest patience with me when it came to answering some questions.

Here is just a quick backround on my car. I have a 2007 328xi with all the latest software installed (via my coding cable). The vehicle has 70 000km (43 496miles) and I do my oil changes every 12 000km (7 500 mi). I am on original spark plugs and am running with ~ 92-93 octane (was mixed with 91 and 94). Mods on this vehicle include the BMW Performance Intake, BMW Performance exhaust and the 3 stage Intake Manifold.

This isn't a full out review as I barely have any miles on this, but I can tell you there is a difference. I ordered this tune with a aggressive throttle configuration. The first flash of the tune had some issues with the throttle input. It was too sensitive in the extreme low rpms and when applying light throttle (from a standstill) the car would jerk and then proceed. The sensitive throttle caused the rpm to drop 100 rpm hence the jerk. This wasn't an issue as AA and bimmersport worked on it ASAP and a few days later (shops not opened on long weekend) a new flash was written in my car.

This flash cured the sensitive throttle in the extreme low rpms.
I have about 60 miles on this tune so far and i can definitely feel the difference in the car. I used to have this huge surge of power at 4500 rpm when the 2nd actuator would open. It seems like that has been blended in nicely and more consistent linear throughout the powerband. I can feel the tune getting stronger and stronger. I am going to wait until I have gone through a full tank of gas to get some better results. I have baseline dynos of my car before the manifold and after the manifold and if AA is willing to help me out, I can go do a post tune dyno as well.

I feel the power, but still need more, which I hope will come in time as the tune adapts.

Everything is looking positive so far and hope it continues this way.

Andrew, is the 328 stage 2 tune specifically optimized (like adjusted) for cars with 3 stage manifold intake?

Last edited by DESI4life10; 05-22-2012 at 10:16 PM.
DESI4life10 is offline   Canada
      05-22-2012, 10:12 PM   #894
DESI4life10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska325xi View Post
Andrew, My AA tune is nothing but trouble.

I have put over 120 miles on the AA tune, but nothing have change to my car as far as performance goes. Did I get a bad file or a bad tool?

Below are the problems I’m having after the Flash, none of these happen before the flash.

- If I step on the gas pedal all the way down (WOT), It makes a sound under the engine when the pedal hits the furthest point…..it makes a “BOOT” sound. This sound occurs every time the gas pedal reaches the end.

- Engine will occasionally misfire when at idle/stop in D (Drive) and/or moving in reverse, but car is fine in P (Park). Maybe it’s not a misfire but here is an Example: Engine idles at normal 6k rpm at a Stoplight and all of a sudden rpm jumps higher for 1-2 second and the entire car vibrates but then will go back to normal idle.

- My Laptop crash a day after I install the Simon Tool software/tool….coincidence I hope?
You mean 600 rpm right (not 6k = 6000rpm). Are you feeling anything when the car misfires? Thought you would feel some weird vibrations.
      05-22-2012, 10:15 PM   #895
ska///235i
***** noob

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
sorry 600 rpm...lol
feel a quick vibration from engine
      05-22-2012, 11:03 PM   #896
Alarbus
Private

Drives: 2009 328xi

Interesting.

I applied the tune, and two weeks later installed the three stage intake. I didn't have any of the issues Ska had. It felt great from the get-go. It felt stronger and smoother from start to finish. Previously, my car felt underpowered (06 325xi) compared to my Dad's (07 328xi), whereas tuning it made mine feel better.

It was about two weeks later that I was able to do the three stage intake. I ran into a slight issue - make sure all of your hoses are FIRMLY connected folks. Vacuum leaks SUCK. I couldn't figure it out, so I limped it to the dealer and they sorted it out. Labor charges weren't fun, but they were completely cool about a tuned 325 with a 330 intake. Once they connected my troublesome hose and I got it back, the car felt complete. Where the tune gave raw power, the manifold seems to add refinement. It feels more balanced. Just as strong, but not as edgy. I've had an absolute blast driving it, and the power is smooth and consistent. It feels stronger with the manifold too, but it's more of a feeling of "hey, THIS is how this car was designed" rather than "oh god, can't touch the gas, it's too much".

The one downside is that I used to drive on the highway by feel - engine noise and vibration. I tried that driving to and from work today. What "felt" like 80 was actually about 92. So... I need to watch that. I really don't need a ticket for 27 over.

I hope Ska gets the problems sorted out, I feel like it's definitely worth getting. If I knew my Dad was planning on keeping his, I'd get him to get it tuned just for the optimizations.
      05-22-2012, 11:19 PM   #897
ska///235i
***** noob

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarbus View Post
Interesting.

I applied the tune, and two weeks later installed the three stage intake. I didn't have any of the issues Ska had. It felt great from the get-go. It felt stronger and smoother from start to finish. Previously, my car felt underpowered (06 325xi) compared to my Dad's (07 328xi), whereas tuning it made mine feel better.

It was about two weeks later that I was able to do the three stage intake. I ran into a slight issue - make sure all of your hoses are FIRMLY connected folks. Vacuum leaks SUCK. I couldn't figure it out, so I limped it to the dealer and they sorted it out. Labor charges weren't fun, but they were completely cool about a tuned 325 with a 330 intake. Once they connected my troublesome hose and I got it back, the car felt complete. Where the tune gave raw power, the manifold seems to add refinement. It feels more balanced. Just as strong, but not as edgy. I've had an absolute blast driving it, and the power is smooth and consistent. It feels stronger with the manifold too, but it's more of a feeling of "hey, THIS is how this car was designed" rather than "oh god, can't touch the gas, it's too much".

The one downside is that I used to drive on the highway by feel - engine noise and vibration. I tried that driving to and from work today. What "felt" like 80 was actually about 92. So... I need to watch that. I really don't need a ticket for 27 over.

I hope Ska gets the problems sorted out, I feel like it's definitely worth getting. If I knew my Dad was planning on keeping his, I'd get him to get it tuned just for the optimizations.

glad you got everything install..I'm still looking for a manifold
how hard was the install other than the hose problem
      05-23-2012, 07:07 AM   #898
Alarbus
Private

Drives: 2009 328xi

Not bad, just tedious. I have a bunch of photos to put together. It really does end up being "disconnect everything holding it in place, installation is the reverse of removal". I labeled a bunch of stuff as I was disconnecting it to be sure I didn't miss anything. I mean, I did miss something, but it wasn't god awful. If I had to do it over again, I probably would have taken it out and put it back in to double check everything, but I was convinced I heard everything click in place. Apparently it needed more than just clicking. Lesson learned!

The hardest part of the whole process is the bracket on the bottom holding all of the wiring connections in place. 1) It uses T-27. Only thing I found in the entire process that uses the Torx 27 size. Thanks BMW. 2) They're at this bizarre angle, and it's a pain in the ass to get everything lined up. I ended up taping the screw to the Torx driver bit, which was in turn connect to a ratchet. I held the whole bracket in place while my father lined it up and screwed it in.

He and his father disassembled a Mercury Cougar that was flooded on a dealer lot in Erie PA (in the 70s), cleaned it and put it back together. I'm not sure if he'd rather redo the Cougar, or work on the BMW.
      05-23-2012, 08:01 AM   #899
DESI4life10
Banned

Yea the manifold install isn't soo bad. Adding labels to the wires you pull out is a great idea and I did it the same way. I do recommend you taking pictures as well everytime you remove a main part. This will help you in case you forget where a wire or hose was supposed to go.

Took my about 4 hours with a friend and that was us taking our sweet ass time.

The box with all the wires is definately a PITA. Can't that this box off of the bracket without breaking the clips (I boke both), but it still stays on really tight if it did break.

Other than that, it was a great DIY. Pick a day where you are not in a rush and in a good mood. It will pay off to take your time and taking frequent breaks.

Goodluck!
      05-23-2012, 08:48 AM   #900
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESI4life10 View Post
Just to give everyone a heads up.

I got bimmersport to load up the AA tune on my car. This shop is great and the service is top notch. Was taken care of from the very start and they had the greatest patience with me when it came to answering some questions.

Here is just a quick backround on my car. I have a 2007 328xi with all the latest software installed (via my coding cable). The vehicle has 70 000km (43 496miles) and I do my oil changes every 12 000km (7 500 mi). I am on original spark plugs and am running with ~ 92-93 octane (was mixed with 91 and 94). Mods on this vehicle include the BMW Performance Intake, BMW Performance exhaust and the 3 stage Intake Manifold.

This isn't a full out review as I barely have any miles on this, but I can tell you there is a difference. I ordered this tune with a aggressive throttle configuration. The first flash of the tune had some issues with the throttle input. It was too sensitive in the extreme low rpms and when applying light throttle (from a standstill) the car would jerk and then proceed. The sensitive throttle caused the rpm to drop 100 rpm hence the jerk. This wasn't an issue as AA and bimmersport worked on it ASAP and a few days later (shops not opened on long weekend) a new flash was written in my car.

This flash cured the sensitive throttle in the extreme low rpms.
I have about 60 miles on this tune so far and i can definitely feel the difference in the car. I used to have this huge surge of power at 4500 rpm when the 2nd actuator would open. It seems like that has been blended in nicely and more consistent linear throughout the powerband. I can feel the tune getting stronger and stronger. I am going to wait until I have gone through a full tank of gas to get some better results. I have baseline dynos of my car before the manifold and after the manifold and if AA is willing to help me out, I can go do a post tune dyno as well.

I feel the power, but still need more, which I hope will come in time as the tune adapts.

Everything is looking positive so far and hope it continues this way.

Andrew, is the 328 stage 2 tune specifically optimized (like adjusted) for cars with 3 stage manifold intake?
There isn't much adjusting to done but if you were to get some dyno's in we could play around with it.
      05-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #901
ska///235i
***** noob

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
someone told me to reset all my adaptations with a scan tool so I'm going to do that and drive around this weekend...lets hope it works
      05-26-2012, 10:43 PM   #902
ska///235i
***** noob

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
good news...reset with bavtech tool and everything is running smooth
I feel the POWER now

use to have the pbx, but the AA tune is alot smoothier
I have to say this is 10x better than pbx

Last edited by ska///235i; 05-26-2012 at 11:03 PM.
ska///235i is offline   United_States