E90Post
 


PYSPEED
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > *Official* Active Autowerke Flash Thread



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-25-2013, 10:23 AM   #1233
phozenstone
Brigadier General
 
phozenstone's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E92 Montego Blue
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NY

Posts: 4,862
iTrader: (71)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra0963 View Post
Phozenstone brings up a great point...........Guys, after you tune your cars, the ECM has to adapt to the new tune. Let me tell you from experience with several tunes, Drive your car hard!!!!! romp on it as much as you can the first week you'll be really happy with the result.
does that mean since i drove all highway after my tune then my tune will not adapt correctly and think i am grandma?
__________________
E92 Xdrive / Montego Blue / M3 Black Novillo Leather / OEM 351M 19" Wheels / Mtech Rear w/ IS Diffuser / Aero Lip / LCI Tailights / M3 Steering Wheel w/Paddles / 40% Huper Optik / Lux V3 / 4300K HID Fogs / Dynavin N6 / 3 Stage Intake Manifold / Magnaflow Dual Exhaust Conversion 4" Tips / K&N Filter w/ charcoal delete / Active Autowerke Stage 2 Tune / KW V1 Coilovers / BMW Performance Strut Bar
phozenstone is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #1234
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 435I M-sport
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Miami Fl

Posts: 3,430
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phozenstone View Post
does that mean since i drove all highway after my tune then my tune will not adapt correctly and think i am grandma?
Basically. Drive it hard and it will adapt.
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #1235
Cobra0963
Private
 
Drives: 2012 328i E92 M-Sport Package
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Deerfield Beach, Florida

Posts: 95
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phozenstone View Post
does that mean since i drove all highway after my tune then my tune will not adapt correctly and think i am grandma?
As Andrew stated, yes! My first tune I was doing 90% highway, every 5-10 min or so I would do WOT runs up to 120 mph and then back off. Also varying your throttle, gears and speed helps.
Cobra0963 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-25-2013, 01:17 PM   #1236
Route 16
I got lei'd
 
Route 16's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 E90 328i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: BayArea

Posts: 4,473
iTrader: (28)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra0963 View Post
As Andrew stated, yes! My first tune I was doing 90% highway, every 5-10 min or so I would do WOT runs up to 120 mph and then back off. Also varying your throttle, gears and speed helps.
70-75mph highway for 5-10min, then WOT (safely) for ~30 seconds, should do it huh. Always wanted the idea to do this on a dyno for at least a full tank if a shop allowed me.
Route 16 is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      02-25-2013, 01:45 PM   #1237
monkey_wrench
Caught the Bimmer-Bug
 
monkey_wrench's Avatar
 
Drives: '06 330i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Florida

Posts: 660
iTrader: (10)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra0963 View Post
As Andrew stated, yes! My first tune I was doing 90% highway, every 5-10 min or so I would do WOT runs up to 120 mph and then back off. Also varying your throttle, gears and speed helps.
But when I do a DME reset, can I re-adapt?
monkey_wrench is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      02-26-2013, 11:26 AM   #1238
Jon@Bimmersport Automotive
Banned
 
Drives: E90 M3 Active Supercharged
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Mississauga, On Canada

Posts: 350
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2003.5 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_wrench View Post
But when I do a DME reset, can I re-adapt?
Clearing codes will not reset adaptations. Clearing fuel trim adaptation requires a diagnostic tool capable, although as mentioned your changing your driving style during the course of a full tank will readapt the ECU to the inputs from the driver.
Jon@Bimmersport Automotive is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-26-2013, 01:08 PM   #1239
EstrlM3
Private
 
Drives: SGM 330i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: So Cal

Posts: 54
iTrader: (0)

What about just adapting the car on the dyno after the install? Like suggested below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3takesNYC View Post
The bottom line is the n52 left very little on the table, or atleast the 255 output versions. The ones where you add the 3 stage intake and tune are pretty good gains but otherwise just a tune really leaves a hand ful of HP on the table. I had an n52 back in the day and was a nice little engine, smooth and sounded great.

As far as adaptions, within 4 dyno pulls of WOt a car is adapted so not even close to a month, multiple tanks or even 30 minutes. Do a few hard pulls on the dyno between mods and your computer adapts.

If it took a computer months or tanks to adapt it would obviously be unable to do its job as the job of adaptions is not there for us to add mods to and make more power, the computer adapts to ever changing conditions such as heat, load, octane/detonation sensing etc. Changes are extremely quick.
Would this work the best?
EstrlM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #1240
RazRokz.!
Lieutenant
 
RazRokz.!'s Avatar
 
Drives: 07 JET BLACK BMW 328i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: BELGIUM

Posts: 551
iTrader: (0)

Hey andrew, Do you guys have any future plans to craft up some headers for the n52? A proper set of headers combined with your tune would be pretty awesome
RazRokz.! is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-26-2013, 03:10 PM   #1241
Dylanize
Captain Dutch Rudder
 
Dylanize's Avatar
 
Drives: 07' E92
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Queen City, NC

Posts: 1,555
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazRokz.! View Post
Hey andrew, Do you guys have any future plans to craft up some headers for the n52? A proper set of headers combined with your tune would be pretty awesome
OMG +1

AA exhaust, AA tune and AA HEADERS!! that'd be amazing!!!
__________________

| Platinum Bronze Metallic | AA | VMR | ACS | DJApex Eurobox |
Dylanize is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #1242
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 435I M-sport
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Miami Fl

Posts: 3,430
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylanize View Post
OMG +1

AA exhaust, AA tune and AA HEADERS!! that'd be amazing!!!
Its been bouncing around in my head for some time. Ill talk to the powers that be and see what we can come up with.

Last edited by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke; 02-26-2013 at 04:39 PM.
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-26-2013, 06:19 PM   #1243
JDane07
Major
 
JDane07's Avatar
 
Drives: '06 E90 330i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Napa, CA

Posts: 1,418
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke View Post
Its been bouncing around in my head for some time. Ill talk to the powers that be and see what we can come up with.
That would be awesome. Regardless, I'm looking forward to you guys tuning my car with my current MMW headers.
__________________
OEM Mtech | AG M580 | Performance Exhaust | AA Tune | ST Coilovers | MMW Catless Headers | Euro BavX LS3 | Blacklines | CF diffuser, Performance Spoiler, Front splitters | Other goodies here and there...
Wish List: ESS SUPERCHARGER FTW
Recent Thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...NE07+vineyards
JDane07 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-26-2013, 06:21 PM   #1244
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
 
DUI Elite's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 SGM E90
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicago, IL

Posts: 1,651
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke View Post
Its been bouncing around in my head for some time. Ill talk to the powers that be and see what we can come up with.
why does it seem like I've heard that before..
DUI Elite is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-27-2013, 10:03 AM   #1245
Jon@Bimmersport Automotive
Banned
 
Drives: E90 M3 Active Supercharged
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Mississauga, On Canada

Posts: 350
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2003.5 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EstrlM3 View Post
What about just adapting the car on the dyno after the install? Like suggested below.



Would this work the best?
EstrlM3,

The MSV70/Most other ECUs in today's BMWs can adapt fairly quickly for short term fuel trim to my knowledge. It's long term fuel trims will take a bit longer. Personally I would drive it nice and hard for a tank of gas after clearing all adaptations within the ECU and then hit the dyno. It may adapt faster, but that is my general rule of thumb. Resetting all adaptations is the best thing to do after loading new BMW software updates or an ECU flash however this may not reach its full potential in that 50miles. Without clearing adaptations you should feel a difference within the first 50miles.

We automatically reset adaptation values after loading a tune and do suggest driving the car for a tank of gas before hitting the dyno. If you really want to get technical if you plan on running a higher octane than usualm I would fill a full tank of that specific brand/octane, load your tune and clear all adaptations for the ECU to start fresh. Real world results are always best IMO.

Hope this answers your question.

DUI Elite,

So many different platforms and only so much time combined with a drive and ambition for only a throughly engineered and designed product sometimes causes a delay in development. Sit tight, good things come to those who wait!
Jon@Bimmersport Automotive is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-27-2013, 10:20 AM   #1246
CQVD330
Private First Class
 
CQVD330's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 335xi M-sport MRed
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Blainville

Posts: 164
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Skype™ to CQVD330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon@Bimmersport Automotive View Post
EstrlM3,

The MSV70/Most other ECUs in today's BMWs can adapt fairly quickly for short term fuel trim to my knowledge. It's long term fuel trims will take a bit longer. Personally I would drive it nice and hard for a tank of gas after clearing all adaptations within the ECU and then hit the dyno. It may adapt faster, but that is my general rule of thumb. Resetting all adaptations is the best thing to do after loading new BMW software updates or an ECU flash however this may not reach its full potential in that 50miles. Without clearing adaptations you should feel a difference within the first 50miles.

We automatically reset adaptation values after loading a tune and do suggest driving the car for a tank of gas before hitting the dyno. If you really want to get technical if you plan on running a higher octane than usualm I would fill a full tank of that specific brand/octane, load your tune and clear all adaptations for the ECU to start fresh. Real world results are always best IMO.

Hope this answers your question.

DUI Elite,

So many different platforms and only so much time combined with a drive and ambition for only a throughly engineered and designed product sometimes causes a delay in development. Sit tight, good things come to those who wait!
Thanks Jon for this clarification. Perhaps a dumb question here but i assume that all of this adapt period is aim for cars with AT ?
__________________
Melbourne Red // X-Drive // M-Sport // DHP // Premium Package // M sport brake // Variable sport steering // 8AT // H&R Sport springs // Velgen VMB5 Black Sandtex powdercoated // M Performance replica front spoiler // M performance side blades // tinted // Dinan Shockware // Coded
CQVD330 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-27-2013, 10:24 AM   #1247
Jon@Bimmersport Automotive
Banned
 
Drives: E90 M3 Active Supercharged
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Mississauga, On Canada

Posts: 350
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2003.5 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CQVD330 View Post
Thanks Jon for this clarification. Perhaps a dumb question here but i assume that all of this adapt period is aim for cars with AT ?
No problem I am glad it is of some help. Not necessarily specific to transmissions. There are adaptations for your Engine DME and also for the EGS(auto trans computer). Both would apply to the above, but have seperate clearing/adaptation procedures. Both should be hard cleared (through a diag tool) after new software is made for best results.

Also updating the EGS sometimes gets rid of a laggy shift, or in some cases a slipping converter feel. First things to check in AT for those symptoms is infamous leaks and out of date software. IMO EGS and ECU updates should ALWAYS be peformed in tandem if available (as per our procedures here at Bimmersport). I know a bit OT but food for thought.
Jon@Bimmersport Automotive is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #1248
Cobra0963
Private
 
Drives: 2012 328i E92 M-Sport Package
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Deerfield Beach, Florida

Posts: 95
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke View Post
Its been bouncing around in my head for some time. Ill talk to the powers that be and see what we can come up with.
Andrew.....We want headers! We want headers!
We want headers! We want headers!....
Cobra0963 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-27-2013, 07:35 PM   #1249
monkey_wrench
Caught the Bimmer-Bug
 
monkey_wrench's Avatar
 
Drives: '06 330i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Florida

Posts: 660
iTrader: (10)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon@Bimmersport Automotive
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_wrench View Post
But when I do a DME reset, can I re-adapt?
Clearing codes will not reset adaptations. Clearing fuel trim adaptation requires a diagnostic tool capable, although as mentioned your changing your driving style during the course of a full tank will readapt the ECU to the inputs from the driver.
I meant clearing DME adaptations with INPA
monkey_wrench is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2013, 10:07 AM   #1250
Jon@Bimmersport Automotive
Banned
 
Drives: E90 M3 Active Supercharged
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Mississauga, On Canada

Posts: 350
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2003.5 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_wrench View Post
I meant clearing DME adaptations with INPA
If you know how to clear all adaptations through INPA then yes it will work.
Jon@Bimmersport Automotive is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #1251
RazRokz.!
Lieutenant
 
RazRokz.!'s Avatar
 
Drives: 07 JET BLACK BMW 328i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: BELGIUM

Posts: 551
iTrader: (0)

Nice. If Gavin could craft some up out of his garage, I can't wait to see what y'all come up with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke View Post
Its been bouncing around in my head for some time. Ill talk to the powers that be and see what we can come up with.
__________________
l-2007 Jet Black E90-l-Heated Seats-l-Injen Short Ram Intake-l-Kicker Audio-l-Tablet Pc Integration-l-19" Avant Garde M310-l-Falken 452-l-Depo Projectors-l-Depo Blacklines-l-M3 Replica Front Bumper-l-Canbus HID Headlights & Foglights-l-20% Tint All Around-l
RazRokz.! is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2013, 02:25 PM   #1252
RazRokz.!
Lieutenant
 
RazRokz.!'s Avatar
 
Drives: 07 JET BLACK BMW 328i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: BELGIUM

Posts: 551
iTrader: (0)

+1 We should get a list going to show AA we mean business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra0963 View Post
Andrew.....We want headers! We want headers!
We want headers! We want headers!....
__________________
l-2007 Jet Black E90-l-Heated Seats-l-Injen Short Ram Intake-l-Kicker Audio-l-Tablet Pc Integration-l-19" Avant Garde M310-l-Falken 452-l-Depo Projectors-l-Depo Blacklines-l-M3 Replica Front Bumper-l-Canbus HID Headlights & Foglights-l-20% Tint All Around-l
RazRokz.! is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-01-2013, 01:59 PM   #1253
Cobra0963
Private
 
Drives: 2012 328i E92 M-Sport Package
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Deerfield Beach, Florida

Posts: 95
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke View Post
I tuned cobra's car today. I didn't have a chance to drive it after but it sure felt and sounded great before.

Anyway Simon tools are back in stock and all back orders are being shipped out today!
Here's another little performance boosting tid bid for my N52 w/ AA stage 2.3 tune and intake and exhaust mods......I put 6 gals of VP100 unleaded AKA (street blaze) Oxygenated w/Ethanol mixed with 6 gals of 93 pump fuel to make just shy of 97 octane.

Wow...noticable differents after about 5 min of driving the ECM must have adapted and re-adjusted timing etc, etc.... I noticed much smoother idle about 100 rpms higher, quicker throttle response along with very hard smooth pulls through the gears.

Now this was just a test at $9.25 p/gal I wont be doing this unless there is some type meet or event where I'm trying to hang with the N54's.
Cobra0963 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #1254
benzo23
Colonel
 
benzo23's Avatar
 
Drives: 14 F30 AW MSport
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: FL

Posts: 2,886
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra0963 View Post
Here's another little performance boosting tid bid for my N52 w/ AA stage 2.3 tune and intake and exhaust mods......I put 6 gals of VP100 unleaded AKA (street blaze) Oxygenated w/Ethanol mixed with 6 gals of 93 pump fuel to make just shy of 97 octane.

Wow...noticable differents after about 5 min of driving the ECM must have adapted and re-adjusted timing etc, etc.... I noticed much smoother idle about 100 rpms higher, quicker throttle response along with very hard smooth pulls through the gears.

Now this was just a test at $9.25 p/gal I wont be doing this unless there is some type meet or event where I'm trying to hang with the N54's.
It would be interesting to see a dyno with that mix
benzo23 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:08 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST