E90Post

MINHS Auto Care Center

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > *Official* Active Autowerke Flash Thread

06-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #1497
spacemonkey1112
Captain

Drives: E90 325i AW

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey1112
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbr View Post
Seems like a lot of people took advantage of the AA deal on the Simon. Any reviews? Let us know what model [325, 328 or 330] and if N51 or n52. Thanks!
I posted this in another thread but here you go:

OKay so quick review from myself. Background I've been driving around with the 3 stage manifold installed for about 2 years before i saved enough money for PE & an AA tune.

1.5 weeks since i flashed the car using the simon tool - 260mi on the car. Right after the reflash and i started the car, I gave the car a few revs and quickly notice the change in throttle sensitivity. I've driven my brother's e92 M3 and I requested to zak, if he can make my throttle response like that of an M3, I'd be more than happy. I would say he pulled through! He even told me that he can make the throttle even more sensitive & to just let him know if I wanted him to up it. Im curious as to how sensitive it can get, but I can assure you there is virtually 0 delay in throttle response. Some people claim that there still is a delay and thus why they keep runing their BMS box with the AA tune, I never had that box so I have no comment on the matter. I know that the throttle response is sharper when compare to stock.

on to power. before the tune, the car went no where fast. Not much torque was to be found off the line and it seemed sluggish climbing first & 2nd gear. at freeway speeds, doing a third gear pull started at 60mph, when the car hit around 4500rpm, it felt like vtec kicked in and a bit of torque was to be found.

Now after the tune, the car feels much more agile. My dad and my brothers have all driven the car and they all feel a substantial increase in torque in the car from what it used to be. power delivery as it climbs the rpm is VERY smooth. I don't feel any drops or changes when i do 10mph-70mph pulls. this climb feels much more effortless for the car compared to before.

IMO, the car feels much more complete now. on California freeways, I really don't need to downshift out of 6th gear to make a pass anymore, there is enough torque to be found to make safe passes in 6th. But paired with the PE, I can't help my put it in 4th and have a little fun while I'm at it.

overall impression. Very satisfied as a 325i owner. Car and driver rated the 545i at 5.5s and the 330 at 5.6s.... Sure these #'s may not be the same since i have 83k miles on the car, but if I am producing more HP than a stock 330, then technically I should be on par with my dad's 545i e60. I haven't done the run yet, however a part of me believes his car will still beat mine. As much as I've driven my car since the tune, The sensation i remember feeling from driving the 545i was much greater than my car at its current state.

If I was going to complain about something, the car does not engine break as much as it used to. I have found myself using my brakes a lot more compared to before. Usually when I'm coming up on a red light, depending on my speed, I'll downshift to a gear around 4500+rpm and begin to engine brake till I have to use my brakes cause the light didn't turn green... The car now seems hesitant on that end. Other than that, there are no other concerns from me.

Is it worth it. Definitely. without the PE, cost of the 3IM + Install labor + tune + simon tool was a little over 1k for me. I'm not gonna exaggerate, the car feels great right now. It is a transformations from what it used to be. Will it beat a 335i? No way. I've driven a 335i once before and I've driven my brothers m3 countless times... the sensation from those cars are incomparable and quite scary (the m3 at least). But when you take the car for what it was & what it has become, it is a very noticeable difference that is worth raving about. Be realistic with yourself & you wont come out disappointed.
      06-06-2013, 02:27 PM   #1498
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: 2014 435I M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpete View Post
Andrew, what's the max R+M/2 octane the off-the-shelf 328i/3-IM tune's set up for?

You can use anything over 93 but I cant guarantee higher octane will make much more hp to be worth it.
      06-06-2013, 03:55 PM   #1499
manutdas11
EL JIMMY NEURON

Drives: Jet Black E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkey1112 View Post
I posted this in another thread but here you go:

OKay so quick review from myself. Background I've been driving around with the 3 stage manifold installed for about 2 years before i saved enough money for PE & an AA tune.

1.5 weeks since i flashed the car using the simon tool - 260mi on the car. Right after the reflash and i started the car, I gave the car a few revs and quickly notice the change in throttle sensitivity. I've driven my brother's e92 M3 and I requested to zak, if he can make my throttle response like that of an M3, I'd be more than happy. I would say he pulled through! He even told me that he can make the throttle even more sensitive & to just let him know if I wanted him to up it. Im curious as to how sensitive it can get, but I can assure you there is virtually 0 delay in throttle response. Some people claim that there still is a delay and thus why they keep runing their BMS box with the AA tune, I never had that box so I have no comment on the matter. I know that the throttle response is sharper when compare to stock.

on to power. before the tune, the car went no where fast. Not much torque was to be found off the line and it seemed sluggish climbing first & 2nd gear. at freeway speeds, doing a third gear pull started at 60mph, when the car hit around 4500rpm, it felt like vtec kicked in and a bit of torque was to be found.

Now after the tune, the car feels much more agile. My dad and my brothers have all driven the car and they all feel a substantial increase in torque in the car from what it used to be. power delivery as it climbs the rpm is VERY smooth. I don't feel any drops or changes when i do 10mph-70mph pulls. this climb feels much more effortless for the car compared to before.

IMO, the car feels much more complete now. on California freeways, I really don't need to downshift out of 6th gear to make a pass anymore, there is enough torque to be found to make safe passes in 6th. But paired with the PE, I can't help my put it in 4th and have a little fun while I'm at it.

overall impression. Very satisfied as a 325i owner. Car and driver rated the 545i at 5.5s and the 330 at 5.6s.... Sure these #'s may not be the same since i have 83k miles on the car, but if I am producing more HP than a stock 330, then technically I should be on par with my dad's 545i e60. I haven't done the run yet, however a part of me believes his car will still beat mine. As much as I've driven my car since the tune, The sensation i remember feeling from driving the 545i was much greater than my car at its current state.

If I was going to complain about something, the car does not engine break as much as it used to. I have found myself using my brakes a lot more compared to before. Usually when I'm coming up on a red light, depending on my speed, I'll downshift to a gear around 4500+rpm and begin to engine brake till I have to use my brakes cause the light didn't turn green... The car now seems hesitant on that end. Other than that, there are no other concerns from me.

Is it worth it. Definitely. without the PE, cost of the 3IM + Install labor + tune + simon tool was a little over 1k for me. I'm not gonna exaggerate, the car feels great right now. It is a transformations from what it used to be. Will it beat a 335i? No way. I've driven a 335i once before and I've driven my brothers m3 countless times... the sensation from those cars are incomparable and quite scary (the m3 at least). But when you take the car for what it was & what it has become, it is a very noticeable difference that is worth raving about. Be realistic with yourself & you wont come out disappointed.
Cool write-up! Thanks for taking the time. I just got mine in yesterday, but can't install anything 'til I have my car back next week! haha
manutdas11 is offline   United_States
      06-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #1500
Route 16
I got lei'd

Drives: '07 E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by manutdas11 View Post
Cool write-up! Thanks for taking the time. I just got mine in yesterday, but can't install anything 'til I have my car back next week! haha
Get my pipes too!
Route 16 is offline   Philippines
      06-06-2013, 04:59 PM   #1501
manutdas11
EL JIMMY NEURON

Drives: Jet Black E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
Get my pipes too!
haha I'll think about it! I still haven't got my paper in the mail from DMV so I need to know if I need to do smog. Stupid California. haha
I need Moaarr money!
manutdas11 is offline   United_States
      06-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #1502
Seattlesquash
Seattle Car freak

Drives: E92 328i 2007

Garage List
2007 B7 RS4  [0.00]
2007 E92 328i  [3.00]
Just installed mine last week with Magna flow exhaust! Really like the difference and the Simon tool worked very well and easy to use. I am waiting for the 3 stage intake from a guy in Texas and hopes he comes through... Feel free to let me know if you have one to unload!? Anyways, done lots of chips/tunes before on this/other cars and have been very happy with this one - smooth and quick throttle, and stronger and more even power band. This will be even better with 3 stage Intake!!! Thanks AA and Andrew/Zack, and thanks for responding so quickly to all my questions.
Seattlesquash is offline   United_States
      06-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #1503
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlesquash View Post
Just installed mine last week with Magna flow exhaust! Really like the difference and the Simon tool worked very well and easy to use. I am waiting for the 3 stage intake from a guy in Texas and hopes he comes through... Feel free to let me know if you have one to unload!? Anyways, done lots of chips/tunes before on this/other cars and have been very happy with this one - smooth and quick throttle, and stronger and more even power band. This will be even better with 3 stage Intake!!! Thanks AA and Andrew/Zack, and thanks for responding so quickly to all my questions.
      06-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #1504
Spinz
Private First Class

Drives: 09 323i

Well, like this is going to surprise anyone...

Installed the tune yesterday evening and went for a rip, didn't notice much of a difference right off the bat, D was still sluggish but the throttle seemed better. Switched to DS and thats when I really noticed she was more responsive, I could actually push the throttle and not have to think 2-3 seconds ahead lol.

Took a wander out to the back roads (Asphalt) and floored it at 80km/h-160km/h, as always these cars love the high speed pulls but it was a lot more linear, and it definitely pulled harder. Went WOT a few times for 0-100km and I'm shocked at how much smoother the car feels, I am falling in love with the drive all over again.

Does it throw you back in your seat like nos, no, but it does suck you back into it harder than before, there is more power though I doubt a passenger would notice the difference. The real benefit to this tune IMO is the smoothness and solid power delivery, like so many have said before this IS how these cars should have come from the factory!

I did notice the engine is a little rough on start-up, vibrates where before it was smooth. This goes away once in gear - is this normal, will it disappear later on?

Andrew, I may need to get Zak to bump up the throttle sensitivity more though, I'll wait a week and see if it improves any first though! Overall very satisfied, thanks guys!

Spinz is offline   Canada
      06-15-2013, 10:50 PM   #1505
NorthernCAE90
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2006 BMW 325I

With the Simon tool would it be possible to have the AA tune & a Stock tune available, that way you can swap back if you don't like it?
      06-16-2013, 12:59 AM   #1506
mapleridge
Banned

Drives: E90 N52 AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinz View Post
Well, like this is going to surprise anyone...

Installed the tune yesterday evening and went for a rip, didn't notice much of a difference right off the bat, D was still sluggish but the throttle seemed better. Switched to DS and thats when I really noticed she was more responsive, I could actually push the throttle and not have to think 2-3 seconds ahead lol.

Took a wander out to the back roads (Asphalt) and floored it at 80km/h-160km/h, as always these cars love the high speed pulls but it was a lot more linear, and it definitely pulled harder. Went WOT a few times for 0-100km and I'm shocked at how much smoother the car feels, I am falling in love with the drive all over again.

Does it throw you back in your seat like nos, no, but it does suck you back into it harder than before, there is more power though I doubt a passenger would notice the difference. The real benefit to this tune IMO is the smoothness and solid power delivery, like so many have said before this IS how these cars should have come from the factory!

I did notice the engine is a little rough on start-up, vibrates where before it was smooth. This goes away once in gear - is this normal, will it disappear later on?

Andrew, I may need to get Zak to bump up the throttle sensitivity more though, I'll wait a week and see if it improves any first though! Overall very satisfied, thanks guys!
Nice to see a review from another N52B25 owner. I have headers and I recently bought a 330i manifold to see if there are any gains between the 3 stage I already have. I will want to finish it off with a tune at some point.

Andrew

Can you guys reprogram an ECU to a different VIN and then flash? Just wondering if I can get a euro ECU which has a better stock tune and then you guys can work your skills after that?
      06-16-2013, 01:17 AM   #1507
Route 16
I got lei'd

Drives: '07 E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleridge View Post
Can you guys reprogram an ECU to a different VIN and then flash? Just wondering if I can get a euro ECU which has a better stock tune and then you guys can work your skills after that?
One of the best idea's I've heard in a long while.
Route 16 is offline   Philippines
      06-16-2013, 02:25 PM   #1508
Spinz
Private First Class

Drives: 09 323i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
One of the best idea's I've heard in a long while.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernCAE90 View Post
With the Simon tool would it be possible to have the AA tune & a Stock tune available, that way you can swap back if you don't like it?
Yes - you could realistically have as many tunes as you want, ie one for race fuel, one for 91 octane, stock, etc and swap between them at any point as long as its the same vehicle you initially did the scan from as the Simon is vin locked to the first vehicle it does an ECU read from.

Spinz is offline   Canada
      06-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #1509
E46driver
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 E92 N51 328i

If I were to get an exhaust, intake and then the tune, but then decide to get headers in the future would it be better to get a whole other tune to utilize the presence of the headers?
2009 Alpine White E92 N51 328i Automagic |Coral Red/Black Dakota Leather Interior | BMW Performance Exhaust | Black M359 Reps. | Gloss Black Roof Vinyl | M-Sport Kit(-Skirts) | LUX H8 V3 AE | GP Thunder Fogs
E46driver is online now   United_States
      06-17-2013, 10:42 PM   #1510
NorthernCAE90
First Lieutenant

If I plan on doing a AFE intake, and the 3 stage intake manifold swap, should I do it first & then get tune? or should I Tune first and then install intake manifold & afe intake?

Also, How does it "adapt"? Is it adjusting the A/F ratio?
      06-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #1511
bdl328xit
Private

Drives: '08 E91

Garage List
2008 E91 328xi  [5.00]
Quote:
If I plan on doing a AFE intake, and the 3 stage intake manifold swap, should I do it first & then get tune? or should I Tune first and then install intake manifold & afe intake?

You are better off grabbing the oem Euro intake, from ECStuning.com, not the aFe. My a/f ratios were all messed up with the aFe si2 intake.
      06-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #1512
Wrngway
Lieutenant

Drives: '11 328i Sedan A6

Quote:

There's a sensor before the intake manifold that measures the amount of air entering the engine. The computer meters fuel according to the amount of air to keep the A/F ratio where it should be.

I'm not as familiar with the E90, but in my last car the mass air flow meter used a heated metal wire. The car measured the incoming air based on how the temperature of the metal wire varied.
      06-19-2013, 09:59 AM   #1513
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrngway View Post
There's a sensor before the intake manifold that measures the amount of air entering the engine. The computer meters fuel according to the amount of air to keep the A/F ratio where it should be.

I'm not as familiar with the E90, but in my last car the mass air flow meter used a heated metal wire. The car measured the incoming air based on how the temperature of the metal wire varied.
We recommend stock air box or euro airbox's to avoid any issue when using our tune.
      06-19-2013, 11:20 AM   #1514
bdl328xit
Private

Drives: '08 E91

Garage List
2008 E91 328xi  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke View Post
We recommend stock air box or euro airbox's to avoid any issue when using our tune.
The filter in the Euro airbox is just about as burly as the aFe filter anyways, it's just not tapered like the aFe.
      06-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #1515
NorthernCAE90
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke View Post
So you guys say no go on the OEM performance intake?

looks like euro box it is!
      06-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #1516
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke

Quote:

Everything Oem is a yes from me along with the Dinan as it just adds an extra intake duct.

When it comes to Maf placement you need to be very cautious on this car.
      06-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #1517
benzo23
Colonel

Drives: 14 F30 AW MSport

Quote:

Euro box is really the way to go, get the euro box, PE, AA tune and be done with it
      06-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #1518
NorthernCAE90
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzo23 View Post
Euro box is really the way to go, get the euro box, PE, AA tune and be done with it
you forgot the main attraction; 3 stage intake manifold!!! Really get this car moving