E90Post
 


TireRack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Eric's HPF Single Turbo N54 Is ALIVE - VIDEO



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-05-2012, 06:13 PM   #903
Fundahl
Captain
 
Drives: VO 1M, 300zx TT
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Corpus Christi, Texas

Posts: 704
iTrader: (0)

Very very interesting Chris!

I've never quite seen a setup like that before. So you are basically kinda of turning a Single-Scroll T4 turbo housing into a twin-scroll with that plate that sticks inside?

Last edited by Fundahl; 03-05-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Fundahl is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2012, 06:46 PM   #904
335iJWC
~~~
 
Drives: JB 335i-M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Simi Valley

Posts: 590
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [4.50]
Finally a real update !!!!!!!!!!!! i kept on cheking this threads and it was just random Posts

Glad to see project is back on its feet
__________________
.
................
335iJWC is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2012, 06:52 PM   #905
klipseracer
Banned
 
Drives: 2007 E90 335i, 05 E46 330i
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Arizona

Posts: 3,012
iTrader: (27)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via MSN to klipseracer
I'd like to see how that plate fits into the flange a little more.
klipseracer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #906
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: pickemuptruck
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Posts: 1,708
iTrader: (7)

interesting... how far does the flange extend? it's still basically the same mixture. I'm curious.

Edit: nevermind, i see it now.

Last edited by Joshboody; 03-05-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Joshboody is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #907
Eleventeen
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South Jersey

Posts: 227
iTrader: (1)

Congrats on the very simple solution, Chris. Any concerns with the temps that O2 sensor will be seeing on the #4 runner? That is a very short run, putting the sensor close to the head.
__________________
[insert list of gas guzzling, warranty voiding, environment destroying, pocket emptying mods that still make you smile, here]
Eleventeen is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #908
Jake@MOTIV
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Jake@MOTIV's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i, 335i
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MD & NC

Posts: 947
iTrader: (7)

I understand why you would do that to test the kit and get it up and running quicker but do you plan on doing a clean revision for production? Like a full redesign with the o2 placement planned? It just doesnt even look like it would be a full mix of all three runners from each bank as the o2 bungs are not in a collective region (and yes I understand how gas mixes and flow works) but I worry that it is just to bias to certain runners of the banks.
Jake@MOTIV is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2012, 08:23 PM   #909
klipseracer
Banned
 
Drives: 2007 E90 335i, 05 E46 330i
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Arizona

Posts: 3,012
iTrader: (27)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via MSN to klipseracer
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyLow335i View Post
I understand why you would do that to test the kit and get it up and running quicker but do you plan on doing a clean revision for production? Like a full redesign with the o2 placement planned? It just doesnt even look like it would be a full mix of all three runners from each bank as the o2 bungs are not in a collective region (and yes I understand how gas mixes and flow works) but I worry that it is just to bias to certain runners of the banks.
I agree here... Personally, I think vishnu has a much more elegant design. This designed feels a little 'forced' or hacked in.
klipseracer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #910
MilehighM3
Colonel
 
MilehighM3's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Colorado Springs

Posts: 2,129
iTrader: (9)

It looks like it would take a direct A/F reading off if cylinders 2&4 based in what we can see. It looks like a great improvement, but ultimately a redesign looks to be necessary...
MilehighM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2012, 09:31 PM   #911
ATTACK
New Member
 
Drives: 2005 STI
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Texas

Posts: 5
iTrader: (0)

That manifold looks like they have never seen a TS setup. Why not just use a TS exhaust housing and TS flange?


Or is the design of the manifold runners preventing a conventional TS setup?

I'm not bashing HPF! I believe the pro's should be questioned so we can all have a better understanding.
ATTACK is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2012, 01:14 AM   #912
alnk1015
Private
 
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i German Import
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Huntsville, AL

Posts: 61
iTrader: (0)

I am wondering the same. There are other dual scroll turbos available right?
alnk1015 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2012, 01:27 AM   #913
Beemw335
Colonel
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: My car is my home

Posts: 2,016
iTrader: (2)

With all the power the 335i is gonna be making, us auto owners need transmission options to support the power.
I was wondering if anyone knew if a 335d transmission will fit in a 335i, the diesel transmission is mich stronger and could support a lot more torque. If we can get it to fit, finding a wrecked 335d and taking the transmission could be a good option for those you want to go upgraded turbo(s)
Anyone know if this would work?
Beemw335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2012, 07:58 AM   #914
Jake@MOTIV
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Jake@MOTIV's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i, 335i
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MD & NC

Posts: 947
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATTACK View Post
That manifold looks like they have never seen a TS setup. Why not just use a TS exhaust housing and TS flange?


Or is the design of the manifold runners preventing a conventional TS setup?

I'm not bashing HPF! I believe the pro's should be questioned so we can all have a better understanding.
They arent going to be using a twin scroll turbo. They just referenced it as saying essentially they created a twin scroll manifold so the exhaust banks remain separate. You will still use a regular flanged t3 or t/4 turbine housing.

I can't imagine they would sell this or anything remotely close to this in a package as it really seems "ghetto" for lack of a better term. For testing purposes sure (even though I don't think its ideal with placement of the o2) but I hope they plan on a full redesign that is far more elegant as I couldn't justify that piece for any price that continues in line with their previous kits pricing. Just my .02 but after 5 years with someones car I guess i would expect more than something that looks homemade and poorly planned.
Jake@MOTIV is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2012, 09:45 AM   #915
Velocity26
Resident old fart
 
Velocity26's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Florida

Posts: 258
iTrader: (4)

I cannot clearly see everything that they did from the pictures, but it appears that the O2 sensor will be primarily reading one cylinder, instead of the combination of the entire bank of 3. I would consider this less than optimal. Shiv installed the sensor after the 3 individual runners had been combined into a collector so that it could read all cylinders. Not sure if there is enough room for them to insert a collector for each bank without changing the flange locations.
Velocity26 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2012, 11:16 AM   #916
rader1
Banned
 
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Roanoke, VA

Posts: 2,197
iTrader: (0)

looks like a hackjob...
rader1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2012, 11:27 AM   #917
ATTACK
New Member
 
Drives: 2005 STI
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Texas

Posts: 5
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyLow335i View Post
They arent going to be using a twin scroll turbo. They just referenced it as saying essentially they created a twin scroll manifold so the exhaust banks remain separate. You will still use a regular flanged t3 or t/4 turbine housing.

I can't imagine they would sell this or anything remotely close to this in a package as it really seems "ghetto" for lack of a better term. For testing purposes sure (even though I don't think its ideal with placement of the o2) but I hope they plan on a full redesign that is far more elegant as I couldn't justify that piece for any price that continues in line with their previous kits pricing. Just my .02 but after 5 years with someones car I guess i would expect more than something that looks homemade and poorly planned.
I hope they figure this out. It would be easier to convert the manifold to a 3 to 1 style for the sake of tuning. But when does taking the easy route ever work?

Good luck to HPF. I'm joining the community soon and I already have a single turbo setup on the to-do list
ATTACK is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2012, 10:55 PM   #918
AYF80
Captain
 
Drives: 2015 AY F80
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Nashville, TN

Posts: 945
iTrader: (0)

Guys, this IS ONLY a rough design for testing and Tuning. The production line WILL be HPF Quality and will perform perfectly.

Have some faith, They just wanted to provide progress for you.

the HPF Manifold may not Look as nice as some others out there right now, But this design will perform and is designed this way for a good reason.
AYF80 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2012, 11:23 PM   #919
taylors335
Major
 
taylors335's Avatar
 
Drives: Space Grey 08 335i
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: san diego

Posts: 1,179
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 335i  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by import36 View Post
wow...didn't realize it has been that long already.
woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo like 3 years holy fuck !
taylors335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2012, 08:00 AM   #920
Rotorocious
Major
 
Rotorocious's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Florida

Posts: 1,459
iTrader: (3)

no dyno numbers/graphs yet?

Very flacid
Rotorocious is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2012, 02:27 PM   #921
jippii ensio
Major
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: On the road

Posts: 1,212
iTrader: (0)

jippii ensio is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #922
Jake@MOTIV
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Jake@MOTIV's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i, 335i
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MD & NC

Posts: 947
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF 335i #1 View Post
Guys, this IS ONLY a rough design for testing and Tuning. The production line WILL be HPF Quality and will perform perfectly.

Have some faith, They just wanted to provide progress for you.

the HPF Manifold may not Look as nice as some others out there right now, But this design will perform and is designed this way for a good reason.
I am happy to hear that it is going to be a full redesign for production BUT don't be fooled into thinking it was "designed and built this way for a reason". It was designed and thrown together that way because it did not work properly the first time and this was the easiest, cheapest, and fastest way to make it "work" (the o2 placement and lack of even exposure to a somewhat well mixed 3cyl mix on each bank). I do not disagree in their decision to simply ghetto rig it to work for testing purposes but this manifold is in no way well engineered for this platform. If they did not have to worry about o2 placement it looks like a decently nice piece though - good construction - just the "revamp" is a bit dissappointing (although excusable for getting something up and running).
Jake@MOTIV is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #923
AYF80
Captain
 
Drives: 2015 AY F80
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Nashville, TN

Posts: 945
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyLow335i View Post
I am happy to hear that it is going to be a full redesign for production BUT don't be fooled into thinking it was "designed and built this way for a reason". It was designed and thrown together that way because it did not work properly the first time and this was the easiest, cheapest, and fastest way to make it "work" (the o2 placement and lack of even exposure to a somewhat well mixed 3cyl mix on each bank). I do not disagree in their decision to simply ghetto rig it to work for testing purposes but this manifold is in no way well engineered for this platform. If they did not have to worry about o2 placement it looks like a decently nice piece though - good construction - just the "revamp" is a bit dissappointing (although excusable for getting something up and running).
Im talking about the actual Manifold it self. Don't get all worked up about what it looks like right now. I mean, the manifold was designed this way for a reason minus the addition. Lets wait to see the performance before we bash it.
AYF80 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2012, 07:49 PM   #924
Lulz_M3
Banned
 
Drives: AW 335i 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Jax, Fl

Posts: 1,029
iTrader: (0)

I foresee more issues with this design. If i had to venture a guess i would say that the combination of short and long runners on the same bank will cause the DME to freak out again....
Lulz_M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
hpf single turbo, single turbo n54

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:35 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST