E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > E92 yellow tstat/coolant light, no heat !

01-18-2017, 04:35 PM   #1
ZeeVaughn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT SG/Coral

E92 yellow tstat/coolant light, no heat !

Hey everyone, so I just came back from a deployment today and found these symptoms for my car. I've been gone since September and have had coworkers and my wife periodically start it and let it run for me. Its an 07 E92 with 93k miles and I am not the original owner so I'll just go ahead and say is the original tstat/water pump.

I let it warm up when I got back to drive it home and noticed when I was trying to defog my windshield that it was all cold air coming out. 1 minute away from my house i got yhe yellow t stat light and when I pulled up to my house, I got the yellow coolant light (about a 10-15 min drive). Since it did not pop the light until I got home I didn't even check for coolant spots where it was parked at work. I haven't been able to pull codes, since my wife would kill me for working on the car as soon as I stepped in the door lol family time first. Ironically I am actually having new turbos, and all full bolt ons installed soon. I am just waiting on my VTT stage 1's to be delivered to my installer. So, it would be an ideal time to do the tstat/water pump anyway while the car is already taken apart. Only thing is I'm going to need to have it towed there and cant say when the turbos will get in

I know I know.. Pull codes. Which I am going to do when I get a minute but sounding like water pump ?

Last edited by ZeeVaughn; 01-18-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 08:02 PM   #2
dauble2k5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I'd be curious to this as well. The past few days, my aux fans have been spinning at full speed, slowing down, spinning high again, slowing down, on and on. Today, I noticed only cold air was coming from the vents and had an extreme loss of power when shifting from 2-3 and then 3-4, and heard the turbo spooling a ton.

Then, as I was pulling in the driveway and heard the fans going 100%, just before I turned off the car, the yellow temp warning light came on.

I'm thinking the waterpump is 100% toast?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 11:15 PM   #3
ZeeVaughn
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauble2k5 View Post
I'd be curious to this as well. The past few days, my aux fans have been spinning at full speed, slowing down, spinning high again, slowing down, on and on. Today, I noticed only cold air was coming from the vents and had an extreme loss of power when shifting from 2-3 and then 3-4, and heard the turbo spooling a ton.

Then, as I was pulling in the driveway and heard the fans going 100%, just before I turned off the car, the yellow temp warning light came on.

I'm thinking the waterpump is 100% toast?
Took it to my Indy, turns out water pump was leaking which slowly almost emptied my expansion tank while I was gone and had some radiator hoses in bad shape. Paid a pretty penny for those repairs on top of some oil leak repairs for some gaskets, thank god they at least warranty their work for 3 years 36k miles because I don't trust these water pumps.

Yours sounds like your car was kicking you into limp mode too which is a common symptom when your water pump is failing. I'd pull codes and get a repair before damaging or overheating
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 11:26 PM   #4
dauble2k5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Turns out it was indeed the water pump that finally let go. It threw a 377A code, so the shop replaced the t-stat and water pump. Now it seems to be running just fine!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 01:32 PM   #5
ZeeVaughn
Private First Class
Rep

So Made it exactly one month and having the same exact symptoms again. To make it even better, the tow truck driver came to tow it to my indy and backed my car right into a cement wall and ruined my tech rear bumper. The car gods are punishing me for something