E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Can anyone weigh in on this leak???



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-13-2016, 08:45 PM   #1
x1ngxang
Enlisted Member
x1ngxang's Avatar
2
Rep
45
Posts

Drives: 2006 BMW 330i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Birmingham

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Can anyone weigh in on this leak???

After an oil change, I found an inexperienced mechanic put too much oil in and didn't secure the oil filter cap. Thankfully I caught it in time and took it back for them to clean up the mess. They put in a new oil filter and said they did a pressure test on the engine and couldn't find any other leaks.

Shortly afterwards, I found a slow small leak on the belly pan on the passenger side. It wasn't enough that spilled over on the garage floor, so today I took it to another independent and after about 5 minutes, they ID'd where they thought the leak was coming from but couldn't find the part on the engine that this area corresponded to. It's on the passenger side of the engine block, looks like possibly a gasket, and a metal (not rubber) pipe extends out from it and goes into another seemingly oil-related component. It's on my 2006 330i with about 189K.

I'm not having any issues and performance, other than a little shakiness at idle from a cold start. MPG is about normal. And it seems to ee dripping straight down, as there's no oil anywhere else! Pictures below. Can anyone point me in the right direction what this could be?

Name:  Image00007.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  159.4 KB

Name:  Image00006.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  117.7 KB

Name:  Image00005.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  183.8 KB

Name:  Image00003.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  62.0 KB

Name:  Image00002.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  55.1 KB

Name:  Image00001.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  57.6 KB
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 10:14 PM   #2
x1ngxang
Enlisted Member
x1ngxang's Avatar
2
Rep
45
Posts

Drives: 2006 BMW 330i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Birmingham

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Come on guys, no one with any ideas in 25 views?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 11:25 PM   #3
slupie
First Lieutenant
8
Rep
301
Posts

Drives: 07 328iT, Montego Blau
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bartlett, IL

iTrader: (1)

It's #3 in this diagram, the upper bolt threads go right into the oil passage and seeps around the bolt. Need to replace #3 because the gasket is part of the tube and the bolts because they are aluminum. Also put thread sealant on the bolt so it doesn't seep again. I had to do it on my E91 (328) around 70k miles.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=11_3755

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...e/11537535829/

Parts I replaced

1X 11-53-7-535-829
1X 07-12-9-952-119
1X 07-12-9-952-109
2X 07-12-9-902-813

Get a gallon of BMW coolant and you might as well flush itt because you are going to loose a lot of it.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 12:17 AM   #4
x1ngxang
Enlisted Member
x1ngxang's Avatar
2
Rep
45
Posts

Drives: 2006 BMW 330i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Birmingham

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by slupie View Post
It's #3 in this diagram, the upper bolt threads go right into the oil passage and seeps around the bolt. Need to replace #3 because the gasket is part of the tube and the bolts because they are aluminum. Also put thread sealant on the bolt so it doesn't seep again. I had to do it on my E91 (328) around 70k miles.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=11_3755

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...e/11537535829/

Parts I replaced

1X 11-53-7-535-829
1X 07-12-9-952-119
1X 07-12-9-952-109
2X 07-12-9-902-813

Get a gallon of BMW coolant and you might as well flush itt because you are going to loose a lot of it.
Thanks for the response slupie. However, I see this is a coolant pipe, should it be leaking oil or is there something above it, out of view that could be dripping on it?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 04:59 PM   #5
slupie
First Lieutenant
8
Rep
301
Posts

Drives: 07 328iT, Montego Blau
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bartlett, IL

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by x1ngxang View Post
Thanks for the response slupie. However, I see this is a coolant pipe, should it be leaking oil or is there something above it, out of view that could be dripping on it?
Reread my description of the leak, top bolt goes into oil passage and it leaks around the bolt threads, then drips down and around the gasket. I had the same leak on my e91 in 2012.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 11:18 PM   #6
x1ngxang
Enlisted Member
x1ngxang's Avatar
2
Rep
45
Posts

Drives: 2006 BMW 330i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Birmingham

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Gotcha. Got one on order. I'm thinking about doing the valve cover and all seals to be proactive. It's been about 75K Since the last one and definitely don't want to go through a failure. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 10:03 AM   #7
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
45
Rep
2,132
Posts

Drives: 16 F80, 12 F25, 06 E90 330i
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Nashville, TN

iTrader: (1)

There at one time was a Bulletin from BMW with a known issue on the N52 of internal shifting of the block causing an oil leak right in that area. The bulletin included part numbers for a kit to replace the block and pistons. We did several back in like 08-10 at the dealer...

That being said-are you sure its been cleaned off in that area from the leak you had prior??
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 10:20 AM   #8
Efthreeoh
Major General
United_States
1255
Rep
7,595
Posts

Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MARLAND

iTrader: (0)

That's an oil leak?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 11:47 PM   #9
x1ngxang
Enlisted Member
x1ngxang's Avatar
2
Rep
45
Posts

Drives: 2006 BMW 330i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Birmingham

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMWNashville View Post
There at one time was a Bulletin from BMW with a known issue on the N52 of internal shifting of the block causing an oil leak right in that area. The bulletin included part numbers for a kit to replace the block and pistons. We did several back in like 08-10 at the dealer...

That being said-are you sure its been cleaned off in that area from the leak you had prior??
I've had the engine sprayed down thoroughly and can see the leak coming from the bottom part of the pipe. But it's a weird consistency. It's like watered-down oil but it doesn't smell like coolant. Very weird...

Like I said earlier, I haven't lost any performance or fuel efficiency, and it's a very slow leak.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2016, 11:54 PM   #10
x1ngxang
Enlisted Member
x1ngxang's Avatar
2
Rep
45
Posts

Drives: 2006 BMW 330i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Birmingham

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
That's an oil leak?
The explanation provided by slupie earlier seems like the only logical explanation. The entire engine is dry EXCEPT for the area where the hose bolts into the block and the accumulation directly below it on the skid plate.

I picked up some UV tracer dye to see if it would provide any clues or confirmation. I haven't seen anything yet. Usually any leaks I've had in the past with this E90 I've been able to identify much more easily... This one's got me stumped!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 06:49 AM   #11
x1ngxang
Enlisted Member
x1ngxang's Avatar
2
Rep
45
Posts

Drives: 2006 BMW 330i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Birmingham

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by x1ngxang View Post
The explanation provided by slupie earlier seems like the only logical explanation. The entire engine is dry EXCEPT for the area where the hose bolts into the block and the accumulation directly below it on the skid plate.

I picked up some UV tracer dye to see if it would provide any clues or confirmation. I haven't seen anything yet. Usually any leaks I've had in the past with this E90 I've been able to identify much more easily... This one's got me stumped!
Soooo... It's stopped leaking. Not a single drop since.

The hose is on order from BMW, who actually lists the part cheaper than I found anywhere. Should I still have it replaced as preventative maintenance?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 12:23 PM   #12
07lilredwagon
Lieutenant
07lilredwagon's Avatar
13
Rep
599
Posts

Drives: 07 328 wagon
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

I would keep the hose and wait until it leaks....it could have been from the washes and original oil leak from the loose oil fill cap.....

its a small one compared to the oil pain gasket (yes pain gasket) and possible rear main leak I have going on right now....

JP
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 11:24 PM   #13
x1ngxang
Enlisted Member
x1ngxang's Avatar
2
Rep
45
Posts

Drives: 2006 BMW 330i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Birmingham

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07lilredwagon View Post
I would keep the hose and wait until it leaks....it could have been from the washes and original oil leak from the loose oil fill cap.....

its a small one compared to the oil pain gasket (yes pain gasket) and possible rear main leak I have going on right now....

JP
I remember replacing the oil pain gasket back around 2008.

So today I was finally able to reproduce the leak, after getting on it hard all day. It seems to be water and oil, but leaking seperately from each other, because I opened the hood and found water droplets in disparate spots on the underbelly liner. The oil is in the same spot (directly under the inlet pipe in the pictures above) and the water spots are closer to the front of the engine.

So here's my question: in addition to replacing the inlet pipe, what else should I have done while she's in the shop? And are there any high-performance upgrades to these parts? Admin, please let me know if this post should be moved to the NA subforum at this point.

Now that I've confirmed the leaks, looks like I'll be giving her a rest until I can get this fixed...

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to everyone!

Last edited by x1ngxang; 12-24-2016 at 11:30 PM.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:56 PM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST