E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > !HELP! installing m3 steering wheel, cant get airbag back in properly???

01-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
werke-t
Captain

Drives: e92 335i

!HELP! installing m3 steering wheel, cant get airbag back in properly???

Like title says ive already gone through the ENTIRE install process, and Im at the LAST step where you need to re-insert the sport airbag. I just simply line up the air bag and the two clip ( the ones hidden behind steering wheel) clip into place, BUT

the problem im running into is the clips are in, but the steering wheel is still 1/2 inch out of the steering wheel, and its CLEARLY not secure.

Is there some step im forgetting? Is there a trick to get the air-bag to clip back in properly? I tried to make sure there are no wires or anything in the way, but Im not exactly sure if you have to do something specific, because all the DIY's say NOTHING about reinstalling the air bag.

I know the two hidden clips are in because i cant get the airbag back out without having to pop the two hidden clips.

Thanks in advance, my car is still sitting with the battery disconnected, waiting to get this buttoned up

Travis
      01-18-2012, 04:03 PM   #2
loki7177
Private First Class

Drives: e90

Was your original steering wheel part of the sport package? Does it have the thumb slots? I just installed an M3 steering wheel this past weekend and that was the easiest part of the install. The airbag for the sport and non-sport wheels are different. Only the sport airbag is compatible with the M3 wheel. Otherwise you will have to get a new airbag.
      01-18-2012, 04:11 PM   #3
werke-t
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki7177 View Post
Was your original steering wheel part of the sport package? Does it have the thumb slots? I just installed an M3 steering wheel this past weekend and that was the easiest part of the install. The airbag for the sport and non-sport wheels are different. Only the sport airbag is compatible with the M3 wheel. Otherwise you will have to get a new airbag.
I have a sport wheel with paddles (2007 e92 335i)

So after you installed the wheel and plugged everything in, your sport airbag just popped straight back on? Did you need to press in a certain spot or push anything specific?

Thanks for the help
      01-18-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
werke-t
Captain

Here is a photo of my current situation:

Everything is good besides airbag not clipping into place.... see the gap, its completely loose on all edges, i push everywhere. Nothing happens. Its locked into place, I have to pop the two hidden clips to get it out again...

01-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
loki7177
Private First Class

Drives: e90

Mine popped right back in place. No issues at all. It fits like a glove.
      01-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
werke-t
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki7177 View Post
Mine popped right back in place. No issues at all. It fits like a glove.
hmmm ok then something must be in the way... im going to take it off and snap a photo of how I have it wired on the inside...
      01-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
Alex@Helix
Colonel

Send a message via AIM to Alex@Helix
once you have the wheel properly installed (only thing you can mess up is not getting the center bolt on properly) make sure the trim and buttons are sitting properly as well. After that, plug in the airbag and pop it in. It should be too difficult at all. Check to make sure the metal clips that secure the airbag in place are moving back and forth and that airbag doesnt have anything that would block those metal bars from securing it where it should sit.
Alex@Helix is offline   United_States
      01-18-2012, 06:29 PM   #8
werke-t
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex@Helix View Post
once you have the wheel properly installed (only thing you can mess up is not getting the center bolt on properly) make sure the trim and buttons are sitting properly as well. After that, plug in the airbag and pop it in. It should be too difficult at all. Check to make sure the metal clips that secure the airbag in place are moving back and forth and that airbag doesnt have anything that would block those metal bars from securing it where it should sit.
Thanks guys, I got it.

Ended up being the bottom bolt that for the bracket was not COMPLETELY tightened down, all it took was some power with my hand torx driver and it tightened down.

Wheel feels amazing! I love the feel of NEW leather ^^
Also love that the DCT shifters work without any harness mods
      02-01-2012, 05:04 PM   #9
Rapak

Drives: BMW 330D '09

Hello,

Can you tell me how did you install those DCT shifters? I have the M3 wheel but I have no idea how to make the DCT shifters work..

Can you help me with this one?

Thanks.
Rapak is offline   Finland
      02-03-2012, 04:34 AM   #10
1QuikWS6
No 55mph

Drives: 09 E92 328iX N51 3-Stage

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapak View Post
Hello,

Can you tell me how did you install those DCT shifters? I have the M3 wheel but I have no idea how to make the DCT shifters work..

Can you help me with this one?

Thanks.
Do a search - there are quite a few detailed threads on the subject...

If your car already has paddle shift it's a simple swap - if not, you have several options on how to install them to work.
2009 328ix E92//SGM//ACS Roof Spoiler//MTech Aero Lip+Trunk Spoiler//M3 Side Skirts//CF Roundels+Grilles//M3 Novillo Interior//Perf Shift Lever+Boot//MPerf DCT Wheel//M3 GT3 eBrake Handle+Boot//ACS Pedals//M3 Mirrors//LCI Tails w/LUX Rev//DTEC V7 AE+MTec 6000K D1S+HPB HID 6000K Fogs//HPB LED Interior//RPI Scoops//CF Euro Airbox+Underhood Hsgs//K&N//BMW PE//MTech Rear Bumper-iS Sport Diffuser//CF Strut Brace//Vishnu OFT//BMW 193M's+Kumho 4X
1QuikWS6 is offline   United_States
      02-03-2012, 04:28 PM   #11
Rapak

Drives: BMW 330D '09

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Do a search - there are quite a few detailed threads on the subject...

If your car already has paddle shift it's a simple swap - if not, you have several options on how to install them to work.
I did make a search but maybe I was using wrong search words. Sorry about this. Planning to install it tomorrow so let's see how it goes.
Rapak is offline   Finland
      03-26-2013, 06:31 PM   #12
TT3 iN NyC
Colonel

Drives: AW/CR e92 335i

Send a message via AIM to TT3 iN NyC
I'm having this same exact issue! There's a gap between the wheel and the airbag! I'll check what is suggested in this thread.
TT3 iN NyC is online now   United_States
      03-26-2013, 06:39 PM   #13
onebadmofo
Banned

Drives: 2007 E92 335i

The airbag doesn't sit completely flush with the wheel. There's about 1/8" gap to allow the horn to work.
onebadmofo is offline   Russian Federation
      03-26-2013, 07:38 PM   #14
TT3 iN NyC
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadmofo View Post
The airbag doesn't sit completely flush with the wheel. There's about 1/8" gap to allow the horn to work.
But the airbag moves a lot. Also, I have to press firmly on top in order for the horn to go off. If I press in the middle, nothing happens.
TT3 iN NyC is online now   United_States
      03-26-2013, 08:25 PM   #15
onebadmofo
Banned

Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Take it off and see if there are any wires in the way
onebadmofo is offline   Russian Federation
      03-26-2013, 08:44 PM   #16
TT3 iN NyC
Colonel