E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Fog light wet sand

01-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
mistryn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: BMW 335D

Fog light wet sand

Ever since I got my car, the stone chipped fog lights have been doing my nut in as it let down the front.

I found the best way to do this was to remove the fog lamp itself.

To do this, you need to remove the wheel arch liner as per youtube video below (thanks for that)

The fog lamp is held by 3 bolts (think its 7mm bolts), undo these and the fog lamp will slip out from the front. They are located by the 3 arrows.

This is my first time wet sanding and it’s something I was a bit apprehensive of carrying out. I only had time to do one fog light and it started to rain as I was fitting the fog light back on. So the other fog light and headlights will be done over the weekend.

I forgot to take a picture of the left lamp whilst it was on the car but it looked very similar to the right. The lens was heavily pitted and marked.

Ready to be wet sanded

I started out with an assortment of wet and dry, I originally started with 800 grit wet and dry but it did not remove the deep pitted marks. So I worked my way from bottom 240 – 600 – 800 – 1200 – 2500

50/50 after 240 grit

800 grit

2500 grit

As you can see after 2500 grit there is still some pitted marks, I was very cautious so decided to leave it as it is and attempt it again over the weekend.

Then I got kicked out of the kitchen as I was making too much of a mess

I then used some scholl S3 compound on a small spider pass at 800 rpm to pass, then 3 passes at 1200 rpm and then 1 pass at 900 rpm
50/50

Then I finished off with megs plastx (my camera battery ran out by this stage)

Then back onto the car (I have still yet to do both headlights and the other drivers fog light)

So I have gone from

To this

Overall I am quite happy with the result, its not a 100% perfect as I had limited time and was up against the weather (I wish I had a garage to work from)

I finished off using a sealent just to protect the finish.
Thanks for reading
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
DavS1
Major
Scotland
Rep

Drives: Emfree

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Looks like a job well done well worth doing if they are as bad as yours!
      01-20-2012, 02:15 PM   #3
mistryn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thanks, I am quite pleased how they turned out. Just need to figure out how to get the headlights off without causing damage lol

The chrome grills now have been replaced with matt black grills. Need to get the lower grills off (I dont know how they come off) so I can spray them matt black
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #4
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep

Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Good work!
      01-20-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
NJ 1161
Major
Rep

Drives: 335D M3

Interesting stuff. I have noticed pitting on my headlights but not sure if brave enough to start sanding them down! Can the headlight lense be replaced?

Last edited by NJ 1161; 01-22-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
Brian mc21
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Drives: E91 320d M Sport

Is there not some sort of coating on the headlights. Thought I seen that on here somewhere. Excellent work on the fogs.
RVF400
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 05:35 PM   #7
mistryn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ 1161 View Post
Interesting stuff. I have noticed pitting on my headlights but not sure if brave enough to start sanding them down! Can the headlight lense be replaced
I would personally only wet sand if they were in a bad state like my fogs. If they only look slightly cloudy/milky then you can get away with a polish and pad on a rotary machine polisher.

There are some kits out there i.e. Meguirs Headlight polishing kit/3M headlight kit where you can get attachments that go onto your drill etc

I have read that too, some people on detailing world who have done this have experienced no problems. Some say you take off the UV coating which few months down the line the lamps will look cloudy/milky. I just used a sealent which contains uv protection and will regularly protect the lights and shouldnt see it being a problem
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #8
ed335d
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
57 e92 M3  [5.00]
2008 e92 335d  [0.00]
Proper OCD there
      01-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #9
GoRomeo
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [2.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistryn View Post
Ever since I got my car, the stone chipped fog lights have been doing my nut in as it let down the front.

I found the best way to do this was to remove the fog lamp itself.

To do this, you need to remove the wheel arch liner as per youtube video below (thanks for that)

The fog lamp is held by 3 bolts (think its 7mm bolts), undo these and the fog lamp will slip out from the front. They are located by the 3 arrows.

This is my first time wet sanding and it’s something I was a bit apprehensive of carrying out. I only had time to do one fog light and it started to rain as I was fitting the fog light back on. So the other fog light and headlights will be done over the weekend.

I forgot to take a picture of the left lamp whilst it was on the car but it looked very similar to the right. The lens was heavily pitted and marked.

Ready to be wet sanded

I started out with an assortment of wet and dry, I originally started with 800 grit wet and dry but it did not remove the deep pitted marks. So I worked my way from bottom 240 – 600 – 800 – 1200 – 2500

50/50 after 240 grit

800 grit

2500 grit

As you can see after 2500 grit there is still some pitted marks, I was very cautious so decided to leave it as it is and attempt it again over the weekend.

Then I got kicked out of the kitchen as I was making too much of a mess

I then used some scholl S3 compound on a small spider pass at 800 rpm to pass, then 3 passes at 1200 rpm and then 1 pass at 900 rpm
50/50

Then I finished off with megs plastx (my camera battery ran out by this stage)

Then back onto the car (I have still yet to do both headlights and the other drivers fog light)

So I have gone from

To this

Overall I am quite happy with the result, its not a 100% perfect as I had limited time and was up against the weather (I wish I had a garage to work from)

I finished off using a sealent just to protect the finish.
Thanks for reading
Great work in my opinion. Can you tell us briefly all the stuff you bought an and tools you used, cost etc? I want to do this on my car sometime soon.
I appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 03:05 AM   #10
Reggie-g75
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: X6 40d

Do you think something like this would be ok on the e92 round fogs?

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/29062...Types&var=sbar
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 03:45 AM   #11
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Hell I hate it when people quote large picture posts................
      01-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #12
mistryn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

THanks everyone for comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post
Great work in my opinion. Can you tell us briefly all the stuff you bought an and tools you used, cost etc? I want to do this on my car sometime soon.
I appreciated.
Tools required -
Socket set
Wet and Dry assortment sandpaper
Rubber block (can use a wood scrap block)
Rotary polisher with attachment for pad (I have a cheapo blue silverline rotary polisher)
4" Polishing spot pad - I got mine from Elite Car Car
Polishing compound - I used Scholl S3 polish and bought from above. But you can use other polishes such as 3M polish/Menzerna polish. You can also get Meguirs plastX polish designed specifically for polishing plastic

Out of the above I only had to buy the wet and dry paper which was £5 in total as I already had the above in my kit

If you dont have the above and just want to do the headlights, then I would suggest buying a plastic headlight restoration kit. I.e. Meguirs headlight restoration kit or the 3M kit which iirc is about £30. This will include various sanding discs and polish/pad combo and attachment for your cordless drill

I must stress that wet sanding should inly be done if your lense are in really bad condition. Try to use a polish and pad combo first because if you go too far then its new lights time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
Proper OCD there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie-g75 View Post
Do you think something like this would be ok on the e92 round fogs?

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/29062...Types&var=sbar
I think the size of the discs would be a little too big but if you are taking the lights off the car then could be ok. But I personally prefer the spot 4" pads as it gives more control
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 04:46 PM   #13
Reggie-g75
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: X6 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistryn View Post
THanks everyone for comments

Tools required -
Socket set
Wet and Dry assortment sandpaper
Rubber block (can use a wood scrap block)
Rotary polisher with attachment for pad (I have a cheapo blue silverline rotary polisher)
4" Polishing spot pad - I got mine from Elite Car Car
Polishing compound - I used Scholl S3 polish and bought from above. But you can use other polishes such as 3M polish/Menzerna polish. You can also get Meguirs plastX polish designed specifically for polishing plastic

Out of the above I only had to buy the wet and dry paper which was £5 in total as I already had the above in my kit

If you dont have the above and just want to do the headlights, then I would suggest buying a plastic headlight restoration kit. I.e. Meguirs headlight restoration kit or the 3M kit which iirc is about £30. This will include various sanding discs and polish/pad combo and attachment for your cordless drill

I must stress that wet sanding should inly be done if your lense are in really bad condition. Try to use a polish and pad combo first because if you go too far then its new lights time

I think the size of the discs would be a little too big but if you are taking the lights off the car then could be ok. But I personally prefer the spot 4" pads as it gives more control
Nice one, will be investing!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 03:49 PM   #14
330i07
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: 330i sport

Thats pretty awesome.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 09:05 PM   #15
Njprince0226
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: E90

What is a small spider pass?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 02:02 AM   #16
mistryn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njprince0226 View Post
What is a small spider pass?
I am not sure what you mean?
a spider pad is just a type of polishing pad if thats what you mean?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 02:48 AM   #17
Mart1000
Capt Slow
Rep

Drives: Leon FR Supercopa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dave
Hell I hate it when people quote large picture posts................
Was just about to put the same. No need for it.

Op, well done good job mate.
Appreciate 0