E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Pre-LCI & LCI OEM Xenon Upgrade Options Thread - OSS, LS3 & Others



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-08-2012, 01:55 AM   #23
yakev724
Brigadier General
 
yakev724's Avatar
 
Drives: 00 RX300
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ithaca, NY

Posts: 3,559
iTrader: (49)

Nice thread maple.

I've been thinking of DIYing this towards the end of the summer (E90 LCI AHLs), and am thinking of just fabricating the rings like fdriller and marc did. Just need to experiment a bit with different LEDs to find perfect temp, size, and max. brightness.


Anyway, I also found this set of umnitza rings at $200 OBO
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230767294435...t_20284wt_1165

They've got me thinking of picking them up and avoiding the hassle of wiring the rings myself. Best deal I've seen as the only alternatives I'm aware of are the oneighty kit for $300 and LS3 at $350.
yakev724 is offline   Russian Federation
0
Reply With Quote
      05-08-2012, 07:21 PM   #24
mapleridge
Banned
 
Drives: E90 N52 AT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC

Posts: 2,682
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakev724 View Post
Nice thread maple.

I've been thinking of DIYing this towards the end of the summer (E90 LCI AHLs), and am thinking of just fabricating the rings like fdriller and marc did. Just need to experiment a bit with different LEDs to find perfect temp, size, and max. brightness.


Anyway, I also found this set of umnitza rings at $200 OBO
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230767294435...t_20284wt_1165

They've got me thinking of picking them up and avoiding the hassle of wiring the rings myself. Best deal I've seen as the only alternatives I'm aware of are the oneighty kit for $300 and LS3 at $350.
I bet you have the know how but after seeing umnitza rings in person I was sold. They look amazing plus will save you the hassle as stated. Haven't seen the other rings.up close so can't comment. Umnitza looks brightest in picture comparison. Make sure to keep us posted if you try. I bought lci non ahl. Wouldn't mind swapping out the projector lens and upgrading the rings.
mapleridge is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-08-2012, 08:16 PM   #25
tonyh703
New Member
 
Drives: black e90
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: va beach

Posts: 29
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleridge View Post
those wheels are so sick
tonyh703 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-08-2012, 09:50 PM   #26
yakev724
Brigadier General
 
yakev724's Avatar
 
Drives: 00 RX300
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ithaca, NY

Posts: 3,559
iTrader: (49)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleridge View Post
I bet you have the know how but after seeing umnitza rings in person I was sold. They look amazing plus will save you the hassle as stated. Haven't seen the other rings.up close so can't comment. Umnitza looks brightest in picture comparison. Make sure to keep us posted if you try. I bought lci non ahl. Wouldn't mind swapping out the projector lens and upgrading the rings.
A big reason of why I want to go with soldering in my own LEDs is that I'll be able to reuse the stock rings and won't have to worry about securing the new ones properly. Should make for a cleaner install.

I'll probably order a sample of cree LEDs soon to line them up and pick out a color that I like most. Probably whatever's closest to E92LCI.

Pretty sure brightness won't be a limiting factor once they're driven properly.
yakev724 is offline   Russian Federation
0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #27
yakev724
Brigadier General
 
yakev724's Avatar
 
Drives: 00 RX300
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ithaca, NY

Posts: 3,559
iTrader: (49)

Here's a photo of the stock E90 LCI rings. The inner ring is actually part of a cylindrical plastic piece with cutouts for clips that hold both the inner light reflector and stock AE optics.

I have a feeling a set of aftermarket rings would just be generic rings measured out to the same diameter, and installing them securely in place of the stock rings would require a few hours of custom fabrication. If someone has any insight or experience with ordering the rings and installing them to E90 LCI lights, feel free to share. I'll be soldering LEDs to the stock rings but would still be interested to see what you get when you order some of the kits on the first page.

Name:  photo (1).JPG
Views: 599
Size:  189.3 KB
yakev724 is offline   Russian Federation
0
Reply With Quote
      08-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #28
manutdas11
EL JIMMY NEURON
 
manutdas11's Avatar
 
Drives: Jet Black E90
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: in the Napa Valley/SJ...

Posts: 1,192
iTrader: (0)

I have an '07 pre-lci with halogen...how do I get a hold of these?
manutdas11 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-01-2012, 11:17 PM   #29
mapleridge
Banned
 
Drives: E90 N52 AT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC

Posts: 2,682
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manutdas11 View Post
I have an '07 pre-lci with halogen...how do I get a hold of these?
The lights in this thread are entirely based off of factory xenons with customized upgrades in paint and led add on rings. If you are halogen now your best bet is to upgrade to LCI factory xenons. If your pocket book isn't too damaged after that you can send to one of these companies to upgrade them or try it yourself.
mapleridge is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-01-2012, 11:29 PM   #30
manutdas11
EL JIMMY NEURON
 
manutdas11's Avatar
 
Drives: Jet Black E90
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: in the Napa Valley/SJ...

Posts: 1,192
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleridge View Post
The lights in this thread are entirely based off of factory xenons with customized upgrades in paint and led add on rings. If you are halogen now your best bet is to upgrade to LCI factory xenons. If your pocket book isn't too damaged after that you can send to one of these companies to upgrade them or try it yourself.
Aha! Thought so! I was like 'da faaa?
Guess I'm better off getting some depo projectors or I'm gonna search around see how much a conversion cost...
Thanks bro
manutdas11 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2012, 12:01 AM   #31
mapleridge
Banned
 
Drives: E90 N52 AT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC

Posts: 2,682
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manutdas11 View Post
Aha! Thought so! I was like 'da faaa?
Guess I'm better off getting some depo projectors or I'm gonna search around see how much a conversion cost...
Thanks bro
Don't buy depo's. They will either crap out on you or have poor output or simply disappoint. Take your time and find some LCI xenons. You can get a set from as little as $800. More commonly maybe $1200. Anywhere in between though. Its just a bit more than depos and night and day difference.
mapleridge is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2012, 12:07 AM   #32
manutdas11
EL JIMMY NEURON
 
manutdas11's Avatar
 
Drives: Jet Black E90
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: in the Napa Valley/SJ...

Posts: 1,192
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleridge View Post
Don't buy depo's. They will either crap out on you or have poor output or simply disappoint. Take your time and find some LCI xenons. You can get a set from as little as $800. More commonly maybe $1200. Anywhere in between though. Its just a bit more than depos and night and day difference.
Oohh, okay...But if I buy OEM Pre-LCI or OEM LCI Xenons, would I have to do rewiring for them or is it coded over? I've seen some guys talking about having it coded on here somewhere, but I'm not too sure about that. I'm lost on this subject.
manutdas11 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2012, 12:15 PM   #33
arc1880
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: '07 335i (e92)
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 252
iTrader: (1)

mapleridge would you happen to know if the current LS3s only come with full circular rings on the outer area?
arc1880 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #34
mapleridge
Banned
 
Drives: E90 N52 AT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC

Posts: 2,682
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arc1880 View Post
mapleridge would you happen to know if the current LS3s only come with full circular rings on the outer area?
Best to check with BavX but I think they only have full circular rings.
mapleridge is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-02-2012, 03:19 PM   #35
alexukie
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335i coupe
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: rochester ny

Posts: 297
iTrader: (0)

do you repair lens? my headlight works but is cracked
alexukie is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-02-2012, 04:17 PM   #36
mapleridge
Banned
 
Drives: E90 N52 AT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC

Posts: 2,682
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexukie View Post
do you repair lens? my headlight works but is cracked
Sorry my friend, I can't help you. I'm just a regular joe like you and I wouldn't know how to fix that. It's best to contact one of the vendors I have listed in the thread, OSS, BavX, 180customs.

What you can additionally do is buy a spare junk headlight from ebay with the lens you need and use the repair as an excuse to modify your headlights.
mapleridge is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-03-2012, 05:34 AM   #37
Nauma
New Member
 
Drives: 320d Lci with Power Kit
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Venice

Posts: 5
iTrader: (0)

And this Italian home made how it looks?

Nauma is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-03-2012, 10:04 PM   #38
mapleridge
Banned
 
Drives: E90 N52 AT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC

Posts: 2,682
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauma View Post
And this Italian home made how it looks?
Looks great. If you can get me better pictures and a breakdown of how you did it I will add it to the first post.
mapleridge is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-13-2012, 05:49 AM   #39
Nauma
New Member
 
Drives: 320d Lci with Power Kit
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Venice

Posts: 5
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleridge View Post
Looks great. If you can get me better pictures and a breakdown of how you did it I will add it to the first post.
Ok we will post some other pic
Nauma is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2013, 04:49 PM   #40
DINAN_GT
That Guy w/ the Modded GT
 
DINAN_GT's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 550i GT
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NY/NJ

Posts: 977
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Ok, I'm a little confused. I have an F07 550i GT, and I want the inner housing blacked out. I already have the LED rings so I'm good on that. How much does it cost to have the headlight's housing blacked out (By each company)? And who has a location near NYC?
__________________
10' DINAN Stage 2 BMW 550i GranTurismo, a.k.a. the "BEA5T." Faster than you think.

See more photos of it here...
Like my Wheels? They're 4 Sale... Click Here
DINAN_GT is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:20 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST