E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Diesel prices set to soar?

01-25-2012, 02:13 PM   #23
Kerr
Brigadier General

Drives: 08' 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera RSR View Post
There's been a 15% drop in fuel purchased since 2008. Which is if I remember correctly is circa 1 billion litres less being used per annum. Work out the tax deficit of that!!
I wonder just how much the difference over a three year period was more drivers switching over to diesel and petrol cars becoming more economical too.

Remember a lot of people also took advantage of the scrapping scheme during this period too. Changing their old bangers into small economical cars.

I can't find the page I'm looking for, but I'm sure I read somewhere recently the average mileage per year had actually increased slightly recently which would also suggest more fuel efficient cars were causing the decrease in sales.
Kerr is offline   Scotland
      01-26-2012, 08:22 AM   #24
mowflow
Colonel

Drives: F20 125d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
I wonder just how much the difference over a three year period was more drivers switching over to diesel and petrol cars becoming more economical too.

Remember a lot of people also took advantage of the scrapping scheme during this period too. Changing their old bangers into small economical cars.

I can't find the page I'm looking for, but I'm sure I read somewhere recently the average mileage per year had actually increased slightly recently which would also suggest more fuel efficient cars were causing the decrease in sales.
Yet traders will tell us that the average is 10k per year when it used to be 12k just so they can say your car is above average mileage. Slightly off topic, i know.

I hate the human race, why do we all feel the need to try to fuck one another over?
mowflow is offline   Scotland
      01-26-2012, 09:10 AM   #25
CarAbuser
Captain

Drives: E89 Z4 35i

Diesel would have to cost 1.90/litre before it became financially beneficial to switch to a petrol. Might take a few years of price hikes for that to happen.
CarAbuser is offline   United Kingdom
      01-26-2012, 09:37 AM   #26
Kerr
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post
Diesel would have to cost 1.90/litre before it became financially beneficial to switch to a petrol. Might take a few years of price hikes for that to happen.
It depends what you are using as a comparison.

As discussed in the 335i v 335d thread running costs for 12,000 miles is possibly only 400 per year difference. Factor the extra cost of buying a used d over a used i and it is a financial saving.

Some if the petrol engines are very good on fuel. What is bmws claims for the new 328i?
      01-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #27
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things

Drives: RS250 CUP

Send a message via MSN to m1bjr
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarAbuser View Post
You just cannot say that.

As the unknown is how the VED will pan out (CO2 emissions led)

01-26-2012, 01:42 PM   #28
CarAbuser
Captain

Drives: E89 Z4 35i

Other than just upping the prices on each band I can't see them doing another overhaul as it would just cause too much confusion.

It does annoy me that all these noddy cars are getting free tax but what can they do?
CarAbuser is offline   United Kingdom
      01-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #29
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!

Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
I've changed my wifes car from a diesel to a 1400cc petrol, cheaper tax and fuel. After years of diesel ownership.........
      01-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #30
ZURICH
Major

Drives: E91 320d Touring M Sport

[quote=Kerr;11216281]From crude oil you get 40% petrol to 23% diesel.

To produce enough diesel you have to buy far more expensive crude oil and you are left with far more petrol than you need.

Almost right this is the reason Diesel is more expensive to produce, Nothing to do with having to buy a more expensive "crude Oil"

Because it is a heavier hydrocarbon, diesel oil takes less refining; in the past this made it less expensive than Petrol (gasoline). But as air pollution controls have become more stringent, diesel oil must be refined to have a lower percentage of sulfur, making its refinement process more expensive. Although diesel has a higher energy output per gallon than petrol (gasoline), it takes approximately 25 percent more crude oil to make a gallon of diesel oil than it does to make a gallon of gasoline. And just to make things worse, Diesel used in cold climates needs to go through a further process of Deparaffination, this eliminates "waxing" during very cold weather, stopping the fuel from becoming a thick waxy sludge unable to be ignited or even pumped to the injectors.

M Sport Package, (PDC), front / rear, Cruise control
Mystic Blue Metallic, Beige Dakota leather, Alarm,
Automatic transmission, Panoramic glass roof, Heated Seats, Lumbar etc etc
"I don't Fuck around but when I do, I dont fuck around"
ZURICH is offline   Switzerland
      01-28-2012, 11:58 PM   #31
Kerr
Brigadier General

Wink

[quote=ZURICH;11238210]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
From crude oil you get 40% petrol to 23% diesel.

To produce enough diesel you have to buy far more expensive crude oil and you are left with far more petrol than you need.

Almost right this is the reason Diesel is more expensive to produce, Nothing to do with having to buy a more expensive "crude Oil"

Because it is a heavier hydrocarbon, diesel oil takes less refining; in the past this made it less expensive than Petrol (gasoline). But as air pollution controls have become more stringent, diesel oil must be refined to have a lower percentage of sulfur, making its refinement process more expensive. Although diesel has a higher energy output per gallon than petrol (gasoline), it takes approximately 25 percent more crude oil to make a gallon of diesel oil than it does to make a gallon of gasoline. And just to make things worse, Diesel used in cold climates needs to go through a further process of Deparaffination, this eliminates "waxing" during very cold weather, stopping the fuel from becoming a thick waxy sludge unable to be ignited or even pumped to the injectors.

Almost right?

What I've posted is fact on what you've questioned me.

Diesel is cheaper to refine as it come out earlier in the refining process.

You just don't get enough to meet current demands, hence the quicker rise.
      01-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #32
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things

Drives: RS250 CUP

Send a message via MSN to m1bjr
I'm sure glad I got a 335 'i'

I see the 335d is obsolete now anyhow.

01-29-2012, 06:00 PM   #33
Laney
First Lieutenant

Drives: E90 330d M Sport auto