E90Post
 


VIBE Motorsports
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Bmw E90 320D Msport 2005 Battery warning light showing.



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-26-2012, 12:22 AM   #1
nicnic426
0
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: E90 320d msport 2005
Join Date: May 2010
Location: west mids

Posts: 46
iTrader: (0)

Bmw E90 320D Msport 2005 Battery warning light showing.

Quick question people...

My battery warning light is showing on the dash, the sign is currently amber/yellow which means the battery charge level is very low. I believe the battery has never been replace or is as old as my E90 Mpsport which is a 2005 edition.

I just want to know has anyone changed their battery on the 320d???? or how should I go around doing this, should I just go to a local garage and top up the fluid or do I just purchase a brand new battery? if so which battery would you guys recommend???

In addition, if I do have to change the battery, would it affect any of my car electrics such as the car memory e.g. clock, seat memory, auto door lock etc????

Thanks for the help

regards

Nic
nicnic426 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2012, 03:55 AM   #2
TMP
0
Colonel
 
TMP's Avatar
 
Drives: M135i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cheshire

Posts: 2,880
iTrader: (0)

Get a new battery as its what, 7-8 years old.
__________________
M-Lite v2 & Family 5er v2
TMP is offline   United Kingdom
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2012, 08:44 AM   #3
Statler
0
Major Pain in the Arse
 
Statler's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 320D M Sport
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northern Ireland

Posts: 353
iTrader: (0)

It's a maintenance free battery, get a new one before you get stuck
Statler is offline   United Kingdom
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
Ant Man
0
Major
 
Drives: E92 M3 Jerez black / Fox red
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Anglia

Posts: 1,041
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicnic426 View Post
Quick question people...

My battery warning light is showing on the dash, the sign is currently amber/yellow which means the battery charge level is very low. I believe the battery has never been replace or is as old as my E90 Mpsport which is a 2005 edition.

I just want to know has anyone changed their battery on the 320d???? or how should I go around doing this, should I just go to a local garage and top up the fluid or do I just purchase a brand new battery? if so which battery would you guys recommend???

In addition, if I do have to change the battery, would it affect any of my car electrics such as the car memory e.g. clock, seat memory, auto door lock etc????

Thanks for the help

regards

Nic
Before spending money on a new battery, you need to find out if it really is just the battery being worn out or is something else, such as: the IBS (intelligent battery system) or the alternator.

If you've never had an issue with the battery before or changed your driving habits (so battery gets recharged) you may want to get it tested or recharge it yourself with say a CTEK charger. Some of their models let you know if the battery is faulty / cannot recharge fully or hold a full charge.

If you do need a new battery, it's easy to change, lots of diys on net etc and easy to find a Bosch replacement.

www.realoem.com will tell you what battery you have and if your car has IBS.

If it does have IBS, the new battery should be registered to the car to let it know that is has been replaced - the irony of IBS ha, ha. Any person that can perform coding can do this. If you don't register the battery, you might not have any issues if you're lucky but it's not the proper way.

You should not lose all settings as some are stored on the key fob. Some you will, but no big deal.
Ant Man is offline   England
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      01-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #5
nicnic426
0
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: E90 320d msport 2005
Join Date: May 2010
Location: west mids

Posts: 46
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
Before spending money on a new battery, you need to find out if it really is just the battery being worn out or is something else, such as: the IBS (intelligent battery system) or the alternator.

If you've never had an issue with the battery before or changed your driving habits (so battery gets recharged) you may want to get it tested or recharge it yourself with say a CTEK charger. Some of their models let you know if the battery is faulty / cannot recharge fully or hold a full charge.

If you do need a new battery, it's easy to change, lots of diys on net etc and easy to find a Bosch replacement.

www.realoem.com will tell you what battery you have and if your car has IBS.

If it does have IBS, the new battery should be registered to the car to let it know that is has been replaced - the irony of IBS ha, ha. Any person that can perform coding can do this. If you don't register the battery, you might not have any issues if you're lucky but it's not the proper way.

You should not lose all settings as some are stored on the key fob. Some you will, but no big deal.
Ive went to my local garage to test the batter the other day, we performed multiple test on the battery in order to find the fault. however the test proved the battery is in good working order with no sign of weakness or being faulty.

The guy said there was no need to purchase a new battery as I have no problem starting the car in hot or cold weather.

The most irritating thing is that when I start my car up from time to time, the dash will show the battery symbol in amber. It just annoying as I dont know wither it is my local garage incompetent or is there some kind of problem with my car sensors or the battery itself. but I do not have any problem starting the car what so ever.

thanks for the advice my friend, much appreciated.
nicnic426 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      01-29-2012, 10:19 PM   #6
nicnic426
0
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: E90 320d msport 2005
Join Date: May 2010
Location: west mids

Posts: 46
iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated
nicnic426 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2012, 10:56 AM   #7
bmwak
0
Major
 
bmwak's Avatar
 
Drives: 325D M-Sport Coupe (E92 LCI)
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: London

Posts: 1,074
iTrader: (3)

Have you recently disconnected your battery for any reason? I had this light come on my old 2005 118d M-Sport but knew that the battery was fine. When you do d/c the battery it does often throw up some errors on the dash. Have you tried taking the car for a cruise down the motorway at 60mph? That's what cleared mine.
bmwak is offline   United Kingdom
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #8
chris_s1
0
Major
 
Drives: 2012 E92 335d MSport
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Swindon, UK

Posts: 1,087
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 E92 335d  [4.33]
I'd take battery testers and IBS things with a pinch of salt. My old M3 was having random electrical gremlins. Tested the battery-fine, the indicator light on the top was green, no problems starting etc etc.........however I changed the battery for a new one anyway and all the problems went away instantly.

I say change it - its not going to break the bank and even if it doesn't cure your immediate problem, you've got a new battery which you would most likely need at some point anyway.
__________________
2012 Alpine White E92 335d M Sport LCI | Coral Red Dakota Leather | Media Package - BMW Professional | 313 Wheels | Evolved |
Previously - 2009 Alpine White 325d M Sport LCI | Auto + Paddles | Media Package - BMW Professional | BMW Performance Front, Sideskirts and 313P Wheels | Black Grilles |
Carbon Black E46 ///M3 '04 | Manual | Evolved |
chris_s1 is offline   United Kingdom
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2012, 01:07 PM   #9
Ant Man
0
Major
 
Drives: E92 M3 Jerez black / Fox red
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: East Anglia

Posts: 1,041
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicnic426 View Post
Ive went to my local garage to test the batter the other day, we performed multiple test on the battery in order to find the fault. however the test proved the battery is in good working order with no sign of weakness or being faulty.

The guy said there was no need to purchase a new battery as I have no problem starting the car in hot or cold weather.

The most irritating thing is that when I start my car up from time to time, the dash will show the battery symbol in amber. It just annoying as I dont know wither it is my local garage incompetent or is there some kind of problem with my car sensors or the battery itself. but I do not have any problem starting the car what so ever.

thanks for the advice my friend, much appreciated.
The passenger mirror in my car would not return to it's memorised setting after folding the mirrors or after dipping when reversing. Upon start-up, the car would not remember what audio source was playing previously and would default to analogue radio and muted - IBS in full effect. I then got a low battery warning. Never any issues to start the engine though. After reading a post by Del on m3cutters and a bit of research, I bought a CTEK 7000 series charger. Yes the battery was a bit low on charge but nothing drastic and it recharged fine with no issues. Since then the mirror remembers again as does the audio source etc and all has been well.
Ant Man is offline   England
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:23 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST