E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Car Accident/Insurance Estimate Question

01-27-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
DeuceDillinger
akam

Drives: 2009 328i Coupe Space Gray

Car Accident/Insurance Estimate Question

My friend recently bumped into the front of my car, which resulted in a dented hood and cracked right grille. An appraiser from his insurance company checked out my car, and I just received the estimate in the mail. The total was close to $1800.

One thing I noticed is that the Part for the replacement hood says "Qual Recycled Part". The price tag next to that is $400. Does that sound right? I checked the OEM hood price tag and its more than the estimated price, and I don't want some cheap replacement hood, but I could be wrong.

Also, the replacement part number for the grille is a stock chrome, and my grille was matte black. Can I get the body shop to just order that part instead?

Thanks, any help would be great.
      01-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
SpaceG135i
WTF was that, Was it your car?

Drives: Bmw 135i Space Grey Red Interi

You have to remember, the insurance companies are trying to save as much money as possible so they are going to do the cheapest body shop they can find that is approved by the insurance companies. Usually if your aftermarket parts are not covered by insurance, they cover it as if they are stock parts so you can maybe get a new grill. I would suggest going to a body shop you trust and getting an estimate from there as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDillinger View Post
My friend recently bumped into the front of my car, which resulted in a dented hood and cracked right grille. An appraiser from his insurance company checked out my car, and I just received the estimate in the mail. The total was close to $1800.

One thing I noticed is that the Part for the replacement hood says "Qual Recycled Part". The price tag next to that is $400. Does that sound right? I checked the OEM hood price tag and its more than the estimated price, and I don't want some cheap replacement hood, but I could be wrong.

Also, the replacement part number for the grille is a stock chrome, and my grille was matte black. Can I get the body shop to just order that part instead?

Thanks, any help would be great.
      01-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #3
anthonym96
First Lieutenant

Drives: E90

They are paying for used parts . Still OEM just used from a junkyard or something
anthonym96 is offline   United_States
      01-27-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
JustinGTP
Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 335i Sedan

Not sure of how the law works in California, but where I live, if someone else hits my car, their insurance is paying for brand new OEM parts.
      01-27-2012, 04:59 PM   #5
aandrew325
Lieutenant

Drives: e92 335i

The insurance company will pay for an OEM hood, off of a car that maybe had rear end damage. Also, as far as the grill, just talk to the shop and tell them where to order the matte grill. thats all. As long as the hood you get is OEM, who cares where it came from. The shop is going to refinish and paint it anyways.

A lot of this also depends on the insurance company. Cheap insurance companies will only pay you what the adjuster says, and not what the shop says. If i was you, id get another estimate from a shop you know of, and send that to the insurance company.
      01-27-2012, 05:35 PM   #6
Loco Goose

Drives: Space Gray 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinGTP View Post
Not sure of how the law works in California, but where I live, if someone else hits my car, their insurance is paying for brand new OEM parts.
maybe in Canada but not in the US

a qual recycled part is a used part, still OEM, just from a salvage vehicle, I would be glad its a OEM hood & not aftermarket(some have horrible fitment)

with the estimate that the insurance company gave you, you can do whatever you want with it. Get the matte black grilles doesn't matter.
      01-31-2012, 12:10 PM   #7
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner

Drives: E90 325i Arctic

Once you cash that check, your options with insurance are over in terms of negotiating the repair expenses.
UncleWede is offline   United_States
      01-31-2012, 12:16 PM   #8
longtran@ltbmw
Captain

Drives: 2011 Toyota Tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Once you cash that check, your options with insurance are over in terms of negotiating the repair expenses.
that is not true. If later you decided to take your car in for repair, the shop can assess the damage. If the shop think the damage is more than they can call in for a supplement.