E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Fuel pump wait a thing of the past?

05-28-2007, 08:14 PM   #1
thealbert
First Lieutenant

Drives: E90 335i, E46 M3, E30 325is

Fuel pump wait a thing of the past?

I haven't heard of any fuel pump failures lately. In fact, I've noticed that the last complaint of a confirmed fuel pump failure post was over a month ago! I take it this is a sign of good news finally and that most people who had fuel pump issues have their car's back on the road? And those who suffer from the fuel pump problem now can get replacements right away instead of having to wait months and months? Is it safe to say BMW FINALLY is now on top of this issue?

To those who had fuel pump failures: how's your car doing now? how long did most of you end up waiting for your new pumps? Did you guys get the new and improved/problem free pumps?

Is there anyone out there who still has a car at the dealers waiting for a fuel pump for a while?
thealbert is offline   Philippines
      05-28-2007, 09:00 PM   #2
sp8w
Always Lurking

Drives: E60 M5

Garage List
2007 M5  [0.00]
2007 E90 335i  [0.00]
I just got back from the dealer a little while ago where I asked the parts manager to check where I was on the list (I've been without my car for 8 weeks). He called the tech line to see what number I was and the tech line guy told him that the list is no more because they can fill all the backorders now. They told him to call his regional rep to get authorization to get my pump (they said that was because they didn't want any dealer stockpiling pumps) which he did.

Supposedly I will have a new pump tomorrow or the next day.

I hope this is true, because I am ready to have my car back on the road.
sp8w is offline   United_States
      05-28-2007, 09:14 PM   #3
ironic
Major General

Drives: Jet Black 335i

sitll waiting on fuel pump along with a number of individuals at bmw of sf.

Widebody 335i Project Car BUILD | PHOTOSHOOT
ironic is offline   United_States
      05-29-2007, 12:20 AM   #4
hotrod182

Drives: 07 335i, 06 M3

I know a person that has been waiting for over a month, and another one that just had one go bad a little over a week ago, with no ETA on a new pump.
      05-29-2007, 12:44 AM   #5
kujo
Major

Drives: BMW

Mine grenaded 3 weeks ago.

Sitting in the shop the whole time.

They won't even give me an ETA, but guess about 3-4 more weeks.

Total BS and really making me want to go cheap and get an STI and await the new M3 sedan...... seriously.......

To screw paying customers, just to build more cars that haven't been bought yet is just BS.
They could take em out of production in Germany and send em to us, but they won't, as that will hold up production on cars that AREN'T paid for yet.

Tota Bull Shit and BMW NA knows just how I feel.

After 30 days, it can officially be lemoned...... I'm debating......

kj
      05-29-2007, 11:13 AM   #6
MBMWTECH
BMW TECH

Drives: 2008 328I SEDAN - 2008 BMW 750

Fuel pumps are still on back order with a case by case release (first come first served) Mine is acting up and even I have to wait for mine to be released
& I am a tech for bmw!!

thankfully the car is still driveable - i have the very long crank and
occasion sluggishness at full throttle
MBMWTECH is offline   United_States
      05-29-2007, 11:31 AM   #7
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal

Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Crazy Bimmer
^ any word if the new 335i have a different fuel pump design yet? Or if they changed something to prevent failure?
      05-29-2007, 11:43 AM   #8
droptop335
Captain

Drives: '06 330i (E90), '07 335i (E93)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBMWTECH View Post
Fuel pumps are still on back order with a case by case release (first come first served) Mine is acting up and even I have to wait for mine to be released
& I am a tech for bmw!!

thankfully the car is still driveable - i have the very long crank and
occasion sluggishness at full throttle
What was your biuld date? My understanding is that anything with a build date of Mar 07 or later should not be having any FP issues...

By the way people: USE YOUR F&*#ING TURN SIGNALS! Pass the word.
droptop335 is offline   United_States
      05-29-2007, 11:56 AM   #9
Fubarsky
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 335i Coupe

I was told that Siemens has ceased making the pumps and BMW is using up old inventory. Also that all Siemens pumps will be replaced in a recall when Bosch has the new pump in production. My service guy says it is going to be dicey for pumps in the next couple of months as Bosch gets up to speed. I am assuming they are using inventory for current production if this is true. They did order my oil cooler for my 12/06 production, sports pkg., steptronic though. I am knocking on wood till the fuel pump recall.
      05-29-2007, 12:02 PM   #10
droptop335
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarsky View Post
I was told that Siemens has ceased making the pumps and BMW is using up old inventory. Also that all Siemens pumps will be replaced in a recall when Bosch has the new pump in production. My service guy says it is going to be dicey for pumps in the next couple of months as Bosch gets up to speed. I am assuming they are using inventory for current production if this is true. They did order my oil cooler for my 12/06 production, sports pkg., steptronic though. I am knocking on wood till the fuel pump recall.
Who provided you with this information?

05-29-2007, 12:12 PM   #11
The Cleaner
Thats all you need to know.

Drives: 2013 335is , 2013 X5

Send a message via AIM to The Cleaner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kujo View Post

To screw paying customers, just to build more cars that haven't been bought yet is just BS.
They could take em out of production in Germany and send em to us, but they won't, as that will hold up production on cars that AREN'T paid for yet.

Tota Bull Shit and BMW NA knows just how I feel.
OEM production line and spare parts are 2 totally different situations. To think your getting screwed because they are still making cars as yours is in for service is not accurate. If that was the case why is your dealer not pulling a pump from an unsold car to get you on the road? Why not pull the pumps from loaner cars to get customers on the road? BMW likely took the pump out of the spare parts program until they have new versions.
The Cleaner is offline   United_States
      05-29-2007, 12:21 PM   #12
gum5h03
Galactic Emperor

Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarsky View Post
They should have gone with Bosch in the first place. I'm also curious where you heard this and how reliable it is. If this is true, then my build date of 05/22 would be affected too? I can't believe a car company would knowingly let such a significant failure continue. I mean it's not as if it's a piece of trim that falls off; the freaking car shuts down - sometimes in the middle of the freeway. If this continues a class action lawsuit should bury BMW in litigation fees. I for one will participate if I find out that they knowingly use bad parts 6 months after the root cause is found. This reminds me of Ford Pinto in the 70's. Am I really paying 50 grand to drive a modern Pinto?
      05-29-2007, 02:25 PM   #13
Fubarsky
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptop335 View Post
Who provided you with this information?
This was told to me by my service rep @ local Pacific NW dealership last week. This happened while in discussion about my missing oil cooler. I am passing it on as it was told to me. Would I bet my life it's true, based on all the s**t I've read, no way, but it sounds plausible.
      05-29-2007, 03:20 PM   #14
droptop335
Captain

Seems like some service reps are less educated than we are on this stuff. I wouldn't bet my life on it either...

05-29-2007, 03:21 PM   #15
imua
Private

Drives: Dodge Ram, 335i

I have a march 07 production, I hope the fuel pump issues are taken care of. If not it is sad that BMW would knowingly manufacture vehicles with defective fuel pumps.
      05-29-2007, 03:27 PM   #16
droptop335
Captain

I agree, especially when it cabn affect you personally. But you have to understand that every manufcaturer goes through a risk analysis of the failure potential for each part. Included in that is the impact of that failure. In the case of the fuel pump, the impact is total disabling of the vehicle. The other part of that risk assessment is that probablilty of failure. Those numbers have to reach a certain threshold before a manufacturer will take any proactive action. In the case of the fuel pump, the numbers may not have reached that critical threshold.

Remember, there are a lot of highly vocal enthusiasts on this forum. Do they represent the typcial E90 owner? Maybe (probably) not. Are they a significant percentage of all the owners? Certainly not...

05-29-2007, 03:37 PM   #17
iatacs19
Major General

Drives: 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptop335 View Post
I agree, especially when it cabn affect you personally. But you have to understand that every manufcaturer goes through a risk analysis of the failure potential for each part. Included in that is the impact of that failure. In the case of the fuel pump, the impact is total disabling of the vehicle. The other part of that risk assessment is that probablilty of failure. Those numbers have to reach a certain threshold before a manufacturer will take any proactive action. In the case of the fuel pump, the numbers may not have reached that critical threshold.

Remember, there are a lot of highly vocal enthusiasts on this forum. Do they represent the typcial E90 owner? Maybe (probably) not. Are they a significant percentage of all the owners? Certainly not...
This sounds very reasonable from a manufacturing and business perspective. But, what is reasonable is not always what the customer wants to hear.

BMWCCA Referral
iatacs19 is offline   United_States
      05-29-2007, 03:39 PM   #18
Spool

Drives: A few

LOL @ title...

Everyone who have their pumps die between last month and this month or the next will wait 2+ months for a new one...

National back order is still rising...

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Spool is offline   Vietnam
      05-29-2007, 04:22 PM   #19
Viperjp7
Fknfst (if you have to ask you don't need to know)

Drives: 335I

Garage List
2007 335I  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Viperjp7 Send a message via MSN to Viperjp7 Send a message via Yahoo to Viperjp7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spool View Post
LOL @ title...

Everyone who have their pumps die between last month and this month or the next will wait 2+ months for a new one...

That is not the news I was looking for since I think mine is dying :mad:
      05-29-2007, 04:25 PM   #20
Spool

Drives: A few

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperjp7 View Post
That is not the news I was looking for since I think mine is dying :mad:

Yep, get in line like the rest of us and wait it out...or lemon ur car if you can/want...

I think the wait for a Fuel Pump is longer than a Kidney nowadays...

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Spool is offline   Vietnam
      05-29-2007, 04:28 PM   #21
droptop335
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spool View Post
LOL @ title...

According to whom?

05-29-2007, 04:29 PM   #22
M335i
Private First Class

Drives: 335i

My cars been at the dealer for 40 days now because of the fuel pump failure. I was orignally told that they were not going to install any of the old (defective design) pumps into our cars.

I just got a call from my SA saying my car is ready to be picked up and had the updated fuel pump installed. Just wanted to see if there was any truth to this.

Also, because I paid the car in full, supposely they can't compensate me any cash for it. So I asked for them to install an alarm and get me the front lip on the aerokit. I was told the alarm won't be a problem but wasnt sure about the lip. Should I wait until they approve the compensation before I pick up the car or just get it now? I really want to go get it and drive it already.