E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Help overheated



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-03-2012, 09:36 AM   #1
qmup508
Second Lieutenant
 
qmup508's Avatar
 
Drives: 325ci
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: delaware

Posts: 205
iTrader: (0)

Help overheated

I just installed the jb4 about a week ago. it ran great then one day I drove it a little hard, engine overheated and I pulled over turned it off then started it right back up. Got home no problems. Turned the jb4 off back to stock mode. An then same thing happened. Overheated after 20 mins.
It\'s 40 degrees out. And I can\'t understand wats going on. Dealer checked it out said the tune could just be sending era codes out but nothing damaged. It\'s not like this happens everyday just once in a blue moon.
Anybody have the same problem? Can somebody give me so input on my situation
qmup508 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2012, 09:44 AM   #2
KaffineKiller
Captain
 
KaffineKiller's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 F30 335i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Stamford, CT

Posts: 784
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2014 BMW F30 335i  [0.00]
2008 335i  [4.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by qmup508 View Post
I just installed the jb4 about a week ago. it ran great then one day I drove it a little hard, engine overheated and I pulled over turned it off then started it right back up. Got home no problems. Turned the jb4 off back to stock mode. An then same thing happened. Overheated after 20 mins.
It\'s 40 degrees out. And I can\'t understand wats going on. Dealer checked it out said the tune could just be sending era codes out but nothing damaged. It\'s not like this happens everyday just once in a blue moon.
Anybody have the same problem? Can somebody give me so input on my situation
How do you know it overheated? When I drove mine to hard one day on the jb4 I blew 4 fuel injectors...

When I would turn the car off and back on the problem would go away, but once I got back on the gas at all or waited about the same time, limp mode
KaffineKiller is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2012, 09:59 AM   #3
qmup508
Second Lieutenant
 
qmup508's Avatar
 
Drives: 325ci
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: delaware

Posts: 205
iTrader: (0)

Yellow light came on. Then I wasn't able to accelerate. Red light came on then I pulled over. Got the manual and the icon indicated that engine overheated. Beats me car drives fine. Just the few times this has happened
qmup508 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #4
qmup508
Second Lieutenant
 
qmup508's Avatar
 
Drives: 325ci
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: delaware

Posts: 205
iTrader: (0)

Man 4 fuel injectors how hard we're u driving ? I'm more of a 0-70 guy
qmup508 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #5
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
 
NaTuReB0Y's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 E90
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Inland Empire

Posts: 7,381
iTrader: (12)

Waterpump/thermostat
__________________
2006 E90 330i Jet Black | 20" WORK VS-XX | FK452 | H&R Sport on Koni Yellow | REMUS QUAD
NaTuReB0Y is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #6
qmup508
Second Lieutenant
 
qmup508's Avatar
 
Drives: 325ci
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: delaware

Posts: 205
iTrader: (0)

Just happened again on my way to work cold start 37 degrees outside drove normal for about 20 mins same result yellow/red light comes on stop started fine again. Passenger side under the hood has some coolant that leaked out. Same thing as last time when I took it to BMW they said a air pocket pushed the coolant out.
qmup508 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #7
KaffineKiller
Captain
 
KaffineKiller's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 F30 335i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Stamford, CT

Posts: 784
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2014 BMW F30 335i  [0.00]
2008 335i  [4.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by qmup508
Man 4 fuel injectors how hard we're u driving ? I'm more of a 0-70 guy
So am I, however that day I was being more of a 60-110 on highway oops
__________________
2014 F30 335i
KaffineKiller is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #8
David1
Colonel
 
David1's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: City With No Room For Ludicris Speed!

Posts: 2,519
iTrader: (0)

Water pump and thermostat. Stop driving the car.
__________________
09 335i Coupe LBM - Black Dakota/Glacier aluminum-6spd|Nav|M-Sport|Premium|Logic7|Heated Seats|CA|BMW Performance Suspension & M3 Control Arms|M3 lip spoiler|Avant Garde M510 Wheels
07 335 coupe - Sold
David1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2012, 10:56 AM   #9
feenin4rich
Private First Class
 
Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: So-Cal

Posts: 156
iTrader: (1)

Sounds like your waterpump needs to be replaced.


Quote:
Originally Posted by qmup508 View Post
Just happened again on my way to work cold start 37 degrees outside drove normal for about 20 mins same result yellow/red light comes on stop started fine again. Passenger side under the hood has some coolant that leaked out. Same thing as last time when I took it to BMW they said a air pocket pushed the coolant out.
feenin4rich is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2012, 11:01 AM   #10
Chriztofor
Colonel
 
Chriztofor's Avatar
 
Drives: '06 325i Auto
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chicago Burbs

Posts: 2,698
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1
Water pump and thermostat. Stop driving the car.
This.
__________________
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Chriztofor is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2012, 11:14 AM   #11
qmup508
Second Lieutenant
 
qmup508's Avatar
 
Drives: 325ci
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: delaware

Posts: 205
iTrader: (0)

Looks like my radiator fan isn't working right either turns on but seems to spin slow an then it stops and looks like it has a hard time spinning again. On for about 30 sec and then stops and then on again happens over an over. Does this seem normal?
qmup508 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #12
gunnerxq
Captain
 
gunnerxq's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 "325i"
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Staten Island and Albany

Posts: 965
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmup508 View Post
Looks like my radiator fan isn't working right either turns on but seems to spin slow an then it stops and looks like it has a hard time spinning again. On for about 30 sec and then stops and then on again happens over an over. Does this seem normal?
That's normal, check your coolant level and if I were you I would replace the water pump because its probably on its last legs.
__________________
Bilstein shocks, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit.
gunnerxq is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:28 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST