E90Post
 


GTB Performance
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > What can the AWD drivetrain handle?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-18-2012, 03:59 PM   #45
mattsfeir
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: CO

Posts: 444
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal335xi View Post
2nd gear isn't a good idea for longevity on a stock trans with more than 370whp IMO, but every now and then it should handle it fine and if it isn't then something in the drivetrain is giving way.

I was thinking about it, and before I had the trans replaced I remember brake boost slipping and free revving also, so the component at fault must not be the trans or torque converter. The only other component would be the transfer case, I don't know a lot about them but does it make sense for a worn transfer case to slip like that?
Any updates on this? My car was doing this at the track this past weekend, now my 60's are in the 2.1-2.2 range instead of 1.7-1.8. Car drives fine on the street, checked the AT fluid level and it's fine, so I'm guessing transfer case also.

Car has seen less than 15 brake boost launches since I've had it, was stock when I bought it, so doubt prior owner had Procede launch control.
__________________
2007 335xi 6AT / Vishnu Procede V5 / Vishnu DCI / Vishnu Meth kit (PWM) / AR Catless downpipes / Borla racing pipes with Magnaflow muffler / Borla exhaust system / AMS intercooler

Best 1/4 time = 12.975 @ 107.15, 1.763 60' at Bandimere Speedway (5800' above sea level)
mattsfeir is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2012, 04:03 PM   #46
mykal335xi
boom
 
mykal335xi's Avatar
 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Varies

Posts: 598
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsfeir View Post
Any updates on this? My car was doing this at the track this past weekend, now my 60's are in the 2.1-2.2 range instead of 1.7-1.8. Car drives fine on the street, checked the AT fluid level and it's fine, so I'm guessing transfer case also.

Car has seen less than 15 brake boost launches since I've had it, was stock when I bought it, so doubt prior owner had Procede launch control.
I have no issues at all from first, even doing a low 1.6x 60' which felt really violent had no slipping. 2nd gear I don't try anymore as it's just not worth the trouble to me to gain .1 on ET.

Are you saying this happens to you in 1st gear? I personally think my issue is related to the transfer case, but if you're seeing it in 1st then it could be low fluid in the transfer case or diffs. Quick test is to pull the fuse and make it RWD, then see if it does it and that will isolate it a bit more.
mykal335xi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2012, 04:09 PM   #47
mattsfeir
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: CO

Posts: 444
iTrader: (1)

Yes, my car does this in M1, then it clunks and shifts into M2. I replaced both F&R diff fluid a few weeks ago, so I know that's not an issue. I haven't brake boosted since being at the track last August, so no idea when this issue started happening.

I do have replacement transfer case fluid, just haven't gotten around to changing it out. Will also try pulling the fuse and see what happens.

Is your car AT or MT?
__________________
2007 335xi 6AT / Vishnu Procede V5 / Vishnu DCI / Vishnu Meth kit (PWM) / AR Catless downpipes / Borla racing pipes with Magnaflow muffler / Borla exhaust system / AMS intercooler

Best 1/4 time = 12.975 @ 107.15, 1.763 60' at Bandimere Speedway (5800' above sea level)
mattsfeir is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #48
mykal335xi
boom
 
mykal335xi's Avatar
 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Varies

Posts: 598
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsfeir View Post
Yes, my car does this in M1, then it clunks and shifts into M2. I replaced both F&R diff fluid a few weeks ago, so I know that's not an issue. I haven't brake boosted since being at the track last August, so no idea when this issue started happening.

I do have replacement transfer case fluid, just haven't gotten around to changing it out. Will also try pulling the fuse and see what happens.

Is your car AT or MT?
I'm an AT and no issues in M1 ever, but do get a slight clunk when taking off in M2 at full power.
mykal335xi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2012, 06:42 PM   #49
Quebequer
Private First Class
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Quebec, Canada

Posts: 140
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal335xi View Post
Quick test is to pull the fuse and make it RWD, then see if it does it and that will isolate it a bit more.
Witch fuse is this?

No problem with mine yet, 50k miles, all fluids just changed for redline oil, car is FBO no meth and just runs smooth. I'd just be interested in that fuse cause I'd like to see what it is in RWD mode.
Also interested in this tread as I'm planning on going meth, so I'll keep you updated for any trouble with my drivetrain.
Quebequer is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #50
runthis
Lieutenant
 
runthis's Avatar
 
Drives: F82
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cincinnati

Posts: 518
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to runthis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemw335 View Post
Fbo is fine on x drive, add meth and your transfer case will blow, only a matter of time.
I have FBO+RB's and meth and I haven't had any issues at all...
__________________
M4 on "THE" way

2009 E92 335xi - SOLD
runthis is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2012, 11:56 PM   #51
mykal335xi
boom
 
mykal335xi's Avatar
 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Varies

Posts: 598
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebequer View Post
Witch fuse is this?

No problem with mine yet, 50k miles, all fluids just changed for redline oil, car is FBO no meth and just runs smooth. I'd just be interested in that fuse cause I'd like to see what it is in RWD mode.
Also interested in this tread as I'm planning on going meth, so I'll keep you updated for any trouble with my drivetrain.
There is a thread about it in the XI section, I think it's 26, I also pull the wiper block because the wipers going all the time is annoying.
mykal335xi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-19-2012, 10:00 AM   #52
Quebequer
Private First Class
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Quebec, Canada

Posts: 140
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal335xi View Post
There is a thread about it in the XI section, I think it's 26, I also pull the wiper block because the wipers going all the time is annoying.
Interesting, thanks
__________________
2008 BMW 335xi MT e90
JB4 G5, WW meth kit, turbonetics intercooler, DCI, UR catted dp's, UR catback, koni yellow + H&R springs, Rieger front bumper, Avant Garde 19" wheels
Quebequer is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2012, 07:43 PM   #53
Ferruccio
First Lieutenant
 
Ferruccio's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 335i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Colorado Springs, CO

Posts: 311
iTrader: (0)

An update,

I'm getting my xDrive the Vishnu/FFTEC e85 kit. Right now, we discovered that the fuel pump was getting pretty old, and cannot handle the e85 fuel flow, so I will be getting the LPFP replaced in a couple of days. Given the power and torque it's already measuring at the wheels, I will try to keep everyone updated with data points. I do not do hard launches from standstill, though. I will probably never be out to record a fast 0-60 time. I just don't like what it does to the drivetrain. I'm in it for those intense surges once I *am* in gear

I'm not giving any numbers, yet, until everything's all squared away. Right now, it's not really a controlled experiment, since it was done with worn out parts
Ferruccio is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2012, 10:22 PM   #54
ManoB1
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2008 335xi
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Long Island, NY

Posts: 35
iTrader: (0)

I have an 08 335xi sedan 6mt with 37,000 miles and has been FBO since 5k miles....I have heard alot of talk about launching the xi and chirping the tires.....I have never been able to launch and chirp anything. There is never an tire slippage...so i tried dumping the clutch from high rpm ranges like 4-5k rpms and when doing so it doesnt even catch gear....itll just rev at 4k and ill let go of the clutch and the car wont move and the rev will stay at 4k....i guess this means the clutch is slipping but i have no problem shifting quickly or any other type of clutch problems....any ideas why i cant launmch like everyone else says they can??


the other question i had was about the transfer case....what is it ....where is it....last time i checked i was putting down 380-390 at the wheels on a mustang dyno....this is before rev.2.5 and E85...so i would assume im in the 420-430 range...do i have any worries....i have had lots of issues with bushing replacements....
ManoB1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2012, 11:52 PM   #55
Carl Morris
Captain
 
Drives: 2008 335xi 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Boulder, CO

Posts: 630
iTrader: (0)

You need a stronger clutch. Mine used to spin the tires at the track, but now does the same thing yours does. I'll get a new one next spring assuming my stock one makes it through the winter OK.

I don't know about the transfer case. Mine has been fine so far.
Carl Morris is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2012, 04:13 AM   #56
Slops
Major General
 
Slops's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 C55 AMG
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oxford

Posts: 5,326
iTrader: (2)

We are looking to rebuild the TC with stronger parts if we can get enough interest.

Please contribute to the good cause.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727970&page=4
Slops is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #57
DarkAsNight
New Member
 
Drives: 2008 335xi
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NY

Posts: 23
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slopp View Post
We are looking to rebuild the TC with stronger parts if we can get enough interest.

Please contribute to the good cause.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=727970&page=4
I'm interested I am now getting nervous about the power levels I am looking to achieve in this car.
DarkAsNight is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-28-2013, 01:54 AM   #58
whiteCanadian335xi
Private
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Canada

Posts: 83
iTrader: (0)

So I plan to get FBO with Meth but I don't track my car as is and I wont launch would my TC or anything else in the car be safe?? I currently have Jb4+DCI and Ordering DP this week then FMIC and then Meth. I just want to be safe and blow nothing im already pretty high though about 55,000K I have a 08 335xi E92 AT.
whiteCanadian335xi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #59
bmwm3redblack
Captain
 
bmwm3redblack's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW ///M3 E46, BMW 335XI
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: e13 osl

Posts: 845
iTrader: (0)

I've got 2008 335xi coupe 6spm and i'm fbo+e85. Once after 3 hard launches from 4000rpm my flywheel beagan to chunk, so i stopped the car turned of the ignition waited for 30 min, and then started the car and it was allright again.
So my point is you shouldn't launcg the car violently for 3-4 times in a row. You can do it 1-2 times then you need to make the things cool down
__________________
Bmw 335xi/FBO/ black on black/ 6sp manual/Cobb AP/BMS DCI/AA BOV KIT/VRSF DP'S/VRSF 7'FMIC /FULLY CATLESS/H&R sport springs/ 19' ac schnitzer wheels.
bmwm3redblack is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #60
nailer335
Captain
 
nailer335's Avatar
 
Drives: alpine '08 e92 335xi
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Arizona

Posts: 690
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteCanadian335xi View Post
So I plan to get FBO with Meth but I don't track my car as is and I wont launch would my TC or anything else in the car be safe?? I currently have Jb4+DCI and Ordering DP this week then FMIC and then Meth. I just want to be safe and blow nothing im already pretty high though about 55,000K I have a 08 335xi E92 AT.
Safe is a conservative flash and FBO at moderate boost levels. I don't know that many would consider meth "safe". Many have used meth aggressively without breaking things... Sometimes things break, sometimes they don't. "YMMV" applies well here. Understand what you're doing, understand the risks and make choices and be prepared for possible consequences. Do research. Log lots, specifically more aggressive settings. Have fun
nailer335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2013, 03:33 PM   #61
jpsimon
Team Zissou
 
jpsimon's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 STi
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CT

Posts: 8,999
iTrader: (4)

I've put 104k miles and counting on my XI, never had to change any AWD components
__________________
2015 STi / 335xi (solid)
www.datazap.me - fast, free, interactive data log viewing

jpsimon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-08-2013, 03:23 AM   #62
whiteCanadian335xi
Private
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Canada

Posts: 83
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer335 View Post
Safe is a conservative flash and FBO at moderate boost levels. I don't know that many would consider meth "safe". Many have used meth aggressively without breaking things... Sometimes things break, sometimes they don't. "YMMV" applies well here. Understand what you're doing, understand the risks and make choices and be prepared for possible consequences. Do research. Log lots, specifically more aggressive settings. Have fun
I don't know how to log yet I might just stick with the DP and FMIC and see how that goes... But meth gives soooo much more power I don't plan to track or launch my car or anything just DD.
whiteCanadian335xi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #63
WedgePerformance
Banned
 
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Portland, OR

Posts: 443
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
I've put 104k miles and counting on my XI, never had to change any AWD components
Need to drive it harder.
WedgePerformance is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-08-2013, 12:34 PM   #64
135Pats
Need more fuel
 
135Pats's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Maryland

Posts: 5,049
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteCanadian335xi View Post
I don't know how to log yet I might just stick with the DP and FMIC and see how that goes... But meth gives soooo much more power I don't plan to track or launch my car or anything just DD.
Logging via Cobb is easy, no biggie at all.


If you're concerned about meth run some corn fuel. "Safer" and still provides a really efficient and cool burn. Won't help you on the IAT side but you can hush the IAT comp tables.
__________________
E88 FBO N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Meisterschaft Race/Berk Resonated/Macht Schnell 3"/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/FFTEC LPFP/HFS-4 DO Stainless Lines/BMS DCI/BMS Thermostat Delete/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/BMS OCC/PTF E50/ST Coilovers/M3 Front Control Arms + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/Macht Schnell Studs/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
135Pats is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #65
whiteCanadian335xi
Private
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Canada

Posts: 83
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
Logging via Cobb is easy, no biggie at all.


If you're concerned about meth run some corn fuel. "Safer" and still provides a really efficient and cool burn. Won't help you on the IAT side but you can hush the IAT comp tables.
Yeah my buddy has his Evo cobbed and it seems easy enough most likely the same process im guessing. But I have a JB4 though.. LOL corn fuel might work... hahahahaha jkjk.
whiteCanadian335xi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:19 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST