E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > A TRUE wastegate troubleshoot!

08-05-2014, 11:01 AM   #1
Scrippy
Lord Scrip

Drives: 07 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
A TRUE wastegate troubleshoot!

I recently had terrible wastegate rattle after 132,456 miles. I removed my turbos and had them rebuilt with billet compressors. After having the wastegates set by my rebuild guy and installing them myself.....they're sounding great but two days later a mild rattle returned. In my rebuild I replaced every gasket o-ring and coupling in the mix. I also replaced all vacuum tubing from wastegates to brake booster. I was getting 25Hg at my vacuum canisters but still my wastegates were rattling a lil. I bought this champ at autozone for $38. It is perfect for setting any Hg pressure to the wastegates. In using it I could set my gates to 5.8-6Hg and view my wastegates with the downpipes removed. When I did this I removed the vacuum lines from the boost solenoids and plugged them into my "champ" (mity vac). I could see that my wastegates were truly adjusted right by my rebuild guy and this led to one final cause before I went to software.........BOOST SOLENOIDS! Replaced them and I now have my smooth, fast spooling baby back. I thought this was amazing because all I needed from day one was a cheap mity vac to troubleshot with. I probably didn't even need a turbo rebuild from the start......my GOD DAMN boost solenoids were the issue the whole time. Atleast now I can change my turbos in 8-10 hours instead of even calling a STEALERSHIP.
Attached Images

Scrippy is offline   United_States
      08-05-2014, 11:16 AM   #2
ferocity02
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 E90 335i Pre-LCI

Were you getting any codes? Any way to test the boost solenoids?
      08-05-2014, 11:24 AM   #3
import36
Burrito bowl connoisseur

Drives: E92 335i MT, E46 M3 SMG

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i Coupe  [4.50]
2005 BMW M3  [5.00]
were your boost solenoids farting.....and by that i mean emitting that loud obnoxious buzzing noise?
Mods: Procede Rev3 9-10|AE Catless Dual Exhaust|AR Design Catless DPs|AMS FMIC|Stett Charge Pipe w/Tial BOV|Stett CAI|BMS OCC|BMS CDV|Volk TE37 SLs|KW V2 Coilovers|Cusco OS Strut Brace|Macht Schnell Stud Conversion|Work RS-R Lugnuts|Gloss Black Roof|Matte Black Kidney Grills|UED Lower Bumper Grills|OEM Aero Lip and Painted Reflectors|M3 Sideskirts| VRS Decklid Aero Spoiler|Gloss Black Roof|M Peformance Alcantara Steering Wheel(blue)|OSS V2.0 LED Angel Eyes|8000k HID Fog Lights|8000k MTEC Xenons
import36 is offline   United_States
      08-05-2014, 11:36 AM   #4
ferocity02
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 E90 335i Pre-LCI

Found this on n54tech: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16548
      08-05-2014, 01:01 PM   #5
Scrippy
Lord Scrip

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02
Were you getting any codes? Any way to test the boost solenoids?
I was not getting any codes, just loss of power.
      08-05-2014, 01:03 PM   #6
Scrippy
Lord Scrip

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by import36
were your boost solenoids farting.....and by that i mean emitting that loud obnoxious buzzing noise?
No noises or signs of any sorts until I put the mity vac on the input line and saw it holding no vacuum. I would build it to 20Hg and it would leak within 2 seconds. That's way too fast of a leak.
      08-05-2014, 01:04 PM   #7
Scrippy
Lord Scrip

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02
I had seen that one but I wanted to troubleshoot hardware and not look to logs or software. I figured software can be changed but hardware works or fails.
      08-05-2014, 02:16 PM   #8
Dmacc
Colonel

Drives: 2010 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by import36
My solenoids were making the same noise and buzz about 1.5 years before they failed. They worked flawlessly with the noise, but eventually failed.

thanks to MGallop
      08-05-2014, 10:04 PM   #9
nikitino25
Lieutenant

Drives: '07 E92 335i

Brilliant!
My wastegates sound like a barrel full of rattlesnakes at only 48k miles.....
Did u actually notice a performance improvement after the fix?

Last edited by nikitino25; 08-05-2014 at 10:10 PM.
nikitino25 is offline   United_States
      08-05-2014, 11:24 PM   #10
Scrippy
Lord Scrip

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitino25
Brilliant!
My wastegates sound like a barrel full of rattlesnakes at only 48k miles.....
Did u actually notice a performance improvement after the fix?
Your under 50k just have the stealership fix it for free. Yes I did see an overall improvement in idle and smoothness. I'm gonna do the plugs next and put'er in for a walnut blasting. I might do the blasting myself too....kinda don't like lazy techs touching my car.
      08-06-2014, 02:08 AM   #11
nikitino25
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrippy View Post
Your under 50k just have the stealership fix it for free. Yes I did see an overall improvement in idle and smoothness. I'm gonna do the plugs next and put'er in for a walnut blasting. I might do the blasting myself too....kinda don't like lazy techs touching my car.
I thought about trying to get new turbos under warranty but have too many mods on car.... Plus I've heard new turbos rattle soon anyway. Will probably get upgraded turbos or a single when time comes. I need a walnut blast too though and should do that before I get my pro tune.....
      08-06-2014, 12:30 PM   #12
Scrippy
Lord Scrip

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I thought about trying to get new turbos under warranty but have too many mods on car.... Plus I've heard new turbos rattle soon anyway. Will probably get upgraded turbos or a single when time comes. I need a walnut blast too though and should do that before I get my pro tune.....
One turbo is cool for a big boost but the spool up time is increased. The N54 is a legit motor but it has little torque down low without the aid from the twins. The reason they are so small is for fast spool (turbo aid). I would stay with small to medium/small twins and upgrade around them. Upgraded intercooler, downpipes and intake. These 3 upgrades will allow the smaller twins to maintain a longer boost period, which equals more power, better torque on a smaller gas bill. You could lock in a reliable 450-500 hp ride this way.
      08-06-2014, 08:15 PM   #13
nikitino25
Lieutenant

Quote:
One turbo is cool for a big boost but the spool up time is increased. The N54 is a legit motor but it has little torque down low without the aid from the twins. The reason they are so small is for fast spool (turbo aid). I would stay with small to medium/small twins and upgrade around them. Upgraded intercooler, downpipes and intake. These 3 upgrades will allow the smaller twins to maintain a longer boost period, which equals more power, better torque on a smaller gas bill. You could lock in a reliable 450-500 hp ride this way.
Yeah I'm sticking with the stock turbos for now, I have downpipes and an intercooler already and getting ready to try out a Mr5 style intake and then get a cobb pro-tune.....
      08-06-2014, 11:33 PM   #14
Scrippy
Lord Scrip

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah I'm sticking with the stock turbos for now, I have downpipes and an intercooler already and getting ready to try out a Mr5 style intake and then get a cobb pro-tune.....
Which intercooler did you go with? Did you notice boost being a lil longer and more effective?
      08-07-2014, 01:18 AM   #15
nikitino25
Lieutenant

Quote:
Which intercooler did you go with? Did you notice boost being a lil longer and more effective?
I have the ETS 5" intercooler.....I got the 5" so I wouldn't have to cut anything for the install. I also wanted to minimize the extra added weight right there in the front though I don't know how much heavier the 7" or a helix style would be. I think I put a new tune on the car right at the same time so yeah I noticed a difference but think it was mainly due to the new tune....
      08-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #16
Scrippy
Lord Scrip

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I have the ETS 5" intercooler.....I got the 5" so I wouldn't have to cut anything for the install. I also wanted to minimize the extra added weight right there in the front though I don't know how much heavier the 7" or a helix style would be. I think I put a new tune on the car right at the same time so yeah I noticed a difference but think it was mainly due to the new tune....
Oh, I see. Have you heard of anyone running the Moshimoto intercooler? I'm looking at it for the same reason you got yours.....no cut back and it has stock quick connectors.