E90Post

VIBE Motorsports

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Ditched iPod Classic 160GB for USB

02-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #1
Tag
Colonel

Drives: bimmer

Ditched iPod Classic 160GB for USB

Because my one year old iPod is garbage (known glitch w/ iPod Classic) and keeps rebooting or locking up on me I was forced to manually create a whole new music library onto a USB drive. I tried to avoid going this route but after a year I'm about to lose my mind. It just constantly disconnects and looses it's place. This especial sucks when you're listening to long podcasts, etc.

My music is mostly ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec) which BMW's ConnectedDrive does not support. So I had to make a copy of my entire music library, all 150GB+ and then convert it to WMAL (Windows Media Audio Lossless) format. I also exported my iTunes playlists to .m3u playlists which ConnectedDrive is then able to read, then had to parse said playlist for broken links and fix them etc.

This whole process took roughly 12 hours. I got the iPod to avoid this very scenario, but as most of Apple's products they don't live up to the hype and suck.

Now I have to manage two libraries whenever I add/remove music but at least it seems to be working without issue now. I also noticed a vast improvement in performance, there's no lag when Fast Forwarding that the iPod had and skipping tracks is faster too.

Tools used:
  • Win7 x64
  • dbpoweramp (Best audio converter, ever!)
  • Tag&Rename (Awesome audio Tag editor)
  • Mp3tag (Simple free Tag editor)
  • Beyond Compare (Powerful compare utility)
  • listFix (fix/repair broken links in playlists)
  • iTunes (World's worst music player)
  • Wordpad (Windows text editor)
Tag is offline   United_States
      02-22-2012, 07:09 PM   #2
cyniclaus
Lifelong Cynic

Drives: 08 E92 335xi 6MT

That's very interesting. I might look into doing that. Not only do I hate the freezeups with the iPOD, but my lossless (ALAC) collection is over 500gb and I had to be very selective in what I kept as lossless on my 160gb iPOD and put the rest in VBR. What's more, I've only just started ripping my classical music which includes the complete works of Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, Chopin, Liszt, and Rachmaninov and selected works of many dozens of other composers. By the end of the year, I'll need at least a 1 TB HD to have all my music with me. Sad that Apple stopped making larger HDs and won't even put good sized ones in the iPhone, but I guess we're victims of the mp3 generation and there aren't many audiophiles left

It's encouraging to hear that access times are faster with the HD, but how is browsing? Is it strictly folder driven or is it searchable by genre/artist/etc? Is track order an issue...i.e. does it go by the track # in the ID3 tag or use the filename?
cyniclaus is offline   United_States
      02-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #3
Tag
Colonel

Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyniclaus View Post
...how is browsing?
No issues at all, same as the iPod, just faster.

Quote:
Is it strictly folder driven or is it searchable by genre/artist/etc?
It's both, you can browse via fodlers or music tags such as artist, album, etc.

Quote:
Is track order an issue...i.e. does it go by the track # in the ID3 tag or use the filename?
If you play all tracks it just goes by alphabetical order.

Sadly, the only issue I ran into was with playlists. It's forced me back to using my iPod. I don't know what the issue is but it simply keeps rebuilding the list or doesn't display all the items. I've tried everything, spent a week doing trial and error tests to find a solution but couldn't resolve it so I gave up. I don't know if it's a size limitation as one of my playlists is almost 4k tracks. If you don't care about playlist you won't have any problems.

One thing to note, when you format your hard drive with fat32 choose the largest cluster size. It makes access times much faster.
Tag is offline   United_States
      02-24-2012, 01:23 PM   #4
cyniclaus
Lifelong Cynic

Drives: 08 E92 335xi 6MT

Thanks, that sounds promising for my needs!... it's critical for me to be able to browse by ID3 tags, but I don't use playlists. I'll report back when I get a chance to try this out.
cyniclaus is offline   United_States