E90Post

GT Haus

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Pros/Cons of owning a stick

02-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #89
Scootguy58
Scootguy58

Drives: E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom vroom View Post
I doubt i can find a car to learn on. Is that a problem?
You will learn how to drive in your NEW BMW in an hour. The engine and trans and clutch on most BMW's are very forgiving. I taught a gaggle of kids (boys and girls) in our 528i in the last decade.
The problem now is, they want to drive the new one!
For you...Buy it , learn how to drive it with the MT and enjoy it right after day one.
'07 VY Z06 (Just DOUBLE the Cabrio's crank HP)
BMWCCA
Scootguy58 is offline   United_States
      02-09-2012, 04:30 PM   #90
Eric335
Colonel

Drives: 2007 E92 SG 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [3.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootguy58 View Post
You will learn how to drive in your NEW BMW in an hour. The engine and trans and clutch on most BMW's are very forgiving. I taught a gaggle of kids (boys and girls) in our 528i in the last decade.
For you...Buy it , learn how to drive it with the MT and enjoy it right after day one.
This. Learn, and you will love it!
      02-09-2012, 04:30 PM   #91
crzylildude
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Garage List
I learned how to drive on an 18-wheeler sand & gravel truck .... It is a piece of cake!

FUTURE MODS: JUICE BOX 4 - G5 / iPE Innotech Valvetronic Exhaust / AWRON DGA GAUGE / STOPTECH BIG BRAKE KIT
crzylildude is offline   United_States
      02-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #92
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority

Drives: 335i E93 750Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootguy58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom vroom View Post
I doubt i can find a car to learn on. Is that a problem?
+1

If you like the car buy it!

Driving a stick shift ain't rocket science.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center
Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
The Glen Club - Sports Car Club of America
captainaudio is offline   United_States
      02-10-2012, 02:19 AM   #93
princefemi
Private First Class

Drives: Jet Black '08 E90

My first car was a manual 5.0 Ford mustang and I bought it before I had a license to drive. I learned how to drive on this car. Many of my friend told me that the car was too much car to use to learn and that the car being a manual made the situation worse. Well, I learned in no time and drove the car for six years, put about 100k on the car, and never had to change the clutch or have any issues with the transmission. My E90 is a manual, and all of the cars I have owned except for 1 have been manual transmission. The one car I bought in auto, a Merc c230, I used for only 6 months before I couldn't take it any more and traded it for a manual 350z. I say go for it, you will love it, and forever always want to drive a manual over an auto.
      02-10-2012, 02:24 AM   #94
JDane07
Major

Drives: '06 E90 330i

Reading threads like these always makes me sad because I have an auto...
and my steptronic is broken right now so I can't even pretend to have a manual ;(
OEM Mtech | AG M580 | Performance Exhaust | AA Tune | ST Coilovers | MMW Catless Headers | Euro BavX LS3 | Blacklines | CF diffuser, Performance Spoiler, Front splitters | Other goodies here and there...
Wish List: ESS SUPERCHARGER FTW
Recent Thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...NE07+vineyards
JDane07 is offline   United_States
      02-10-2012, 03:54 AM   #95
Cozy
Major

Drives: E82 135i

Being from the UK where 'stick' is king, I had to LOL at this thread.

How come the U.S got so comfortable with auto-trans? The legendary muscle cars were all MT right? Do you even have a choice of transmission when learning to drive with a driving school? Strange how two of the most western countries went in opposite directions here, maybe it's because you have such a vast landscape and AT is just easier for cruising around/lazy .
Cozy is offline   United Kingdom
      02-10-2012, 04:14 AM   #96
IancoleTX
Dillo boxers

Drives: BMW

IMO A/T is the worst thing to happen to driving. People don't have to pay attention to what they're doing and can just float their 5000lb chunks of steel down the road while zoning out. Lets drivers in the bottom 10% of skill get by just well enough to screw up the roads for the rest of us. Bleh.
      02-10-2012, 04:49 AM   #97
Dozhdbog
Major

Drives: 2011 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IancoleTX View Post
IMO A/T is the worst thing to happen to driving. People don't have to pay attention to what they're doing and can just float their 5000lb chunks of steel down the road while zoning out. Lets drivers in the bottom 10% of skill get by just well enough to screw up the roads for the rest of us. Bleh.

If that's what happens to you when you drive an automatic, you should probably have your license revoked.
      02-10-2012, 04:51 AM   #98
Dozhdbog
Major

Drives: 2011 335i Sedan

If certain people really require a manual to ensure they pay attention whilst driving, then they shouldn't ever be allowed to drive.
      02-10-2012, 07:34 AM   #99
captainaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozhdbog View Post
If certain people really require a manual to ensure they pay attention whilst driving, then they shouldn't ever be allowed to drive.
+1

What do these drivers who need a manual transmission to concentrate do when they get on a road like Alligtor Alley (Route 75) in South Florida. Mile after mile of perflectly straight, perfectly flat highway when you are cruising in top gear for hours?

The level of insistance on the superiority of manual transmissions tends to be inversely proportional to the level of skill at driving one.

CA

02-10-2012, 08:15 AM   #100
driverman
Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 E90 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamJay View Post
Being from the UK where 'stick' is king, I had to LOL at this thread.

How come the U.S got so comfortable with auto-trans? The legendary muscle cars were all MT right? Do you even have a choice of transmission when learning to drive with a driving school? Strange how two of the most western countries went in opposite directions here, maybe it's because you have such a vast landscape and AT is just easier for cruising around/lazy .
I think the higher price of gas and higher taxes on car purchases in Europe explain the difference, going back many years. People bought smaller cars with smaller engines, less power and MT's to save lots of money. MT's were more efficient at using the limited power, minimized gas consumption and were cheaper.

I wonder if the percentage of AT's in new car purchases in Europe has increased since AT's have gotten so good. Does anyone know?
driverman is offline   United_States
      02-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #101
Cozy
Major

Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverman View Post
I think the higher price of gas and higher taxes on car purchases in Europe explain the difference, going back many years. People bought smaller cars with smaller engines, less power and MT's to save lots of money. MT's were more efficient at using the limited power, minimized gas consumption and were cheaper.

I wonder if the percentage of AT's in new car purchases in Europe has increased since AT's have gotten so good. Does anyone know?
AT is definitely more popular now, well I say more popular but it's more the case that a lot of the average family cars now offer an AT option when they didn't before. Merc's & BMW's have always been favoured over here in AT, at least for the business men, older generations and those interested in the larger offerings/comfort such as E-Class, 5-Series and upwards. Also the non-performance focussed 3-Series and the like were most common in AT with MT reserved for anyone interested in a little performance and the older ///M's generally. DCT is now really popular here, you'll find most of the sporty VAG brands are now equipped with DCT which is more popular to order than MT I believe, mostly because of the fast gear changes and launches I but I don't think AT will ever take over here, DCT is definitely nice middle ground though.

We have two driving tests, one for MT & one for AT and it's assumed that you'll be driving MT unless you specifically request otherwise. If you pass the MT test then your license allows you to drive both tranmissions but anyone who learnt/passed in AT is not permitted to drive MT on their license. It's rare that anyone will choose the AT method at all, only those petrified of motoring, those who are elderly or with a disability will do it and then get cursed by the rest of us for travelling at 20mph in all zones. I think the opinion that "only old people" buy automatic puts a lot of people off but sadly it's been true for many many years.
Cozy is offline   United Kingdom
      02-10-2012, 09:29 AM   #102
Neph
Private First Class

Drives: 2010 328i E92, Sport, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nr!qUe View Post

Please get the manual because i think of it like this: I would rather drive a Jetta with a 5 speed manual than an automatic porsche (my two cents in terms of driving experience)

good luck
+1

a manual lets you get soooo much more out of your car. and if BMW is the ultimate driving machine and built to be enjoyed, why spoil it with an AT?

its' fine for a buick, but if you enjoy driving (obviously as you're on this forum), then get the MT so long as you don't live in a reaalllly hilly area.
      02-10-2012, 12:25 PM   #103
MM33
Private

Drives: E92 M3

Dual Clutch transmissions are FAR nicer than Manuals....and Manuals are far nicer than Automatics. As simple as that...there's a reason why race cars and supercars have dual clutch transmissions; it's not only for speed...it's also for feel, control, and enjoyment.

BMW, Audi, and Porsche have really great dual clutch gearboxes; as does the Mitsubishi Evo and Nissan GT-R....If you haven't driven a car with a dual clutch gearbox; you're missing out. I would take one instantly over a regular manual and will do so on my next car.
      02-10-2012, 02:55 PM   #104
captainaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM33
Dual Clutch transmissions are FAR nicer than Manuals....and Manuals are far nicer than Automatics. As simple as that...there's a reason why race cars and supercars have dual clutch transmissions; it's not only for speed...it's also for feel, control, and enjoyment.

BMW, Audi, and Porsche have really great dual clutch gearboxes; as does the Mitsubishi Evo and Nissan GT-R....If you haven't driven a car with a dual clutch gearbox; you're missing out. I would take one instantly over a regular manual and will do so on my next car.
A DCT is an automatic transmission. It may use different technology to shift the gears than a "conventional" planetary gear AT but in my opinion any transmission with no third pedal that can shift on its own is an AT.
Last fall I dove a Jaguar XKR-S with a ZF automatic back to back with a 335is. The transmissions felt very similar and in many ways I liked the Jaguar transmission better. A friend of mine who is a Porsche Club Racer also did the comparison and was not aware that they were two different kinds of transmissions, to him they were both Paddle Shifted automatics.

CA

Last edited by captainaudio; 02-10-2012 at 05:25 PM.
      02-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #105
DoD74
Private First Class

Drives: 2012 BMW 335i Coupe

I drove a manual for about 17 years and loved it. I got the M package with paddle shifts this time because I've recently had knee surgery and wanted to go easy on my leg, but i still miss it. Even with occasional traffic frustrations I think you'll love the experience and control you get from a manual.
      02-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #106
gunnerxq
Captain

Drives: e90 "325i"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM33 View Post

Your funny thought you just said DCT are nicer then manuals.
      02-10-2012, 03:17 PM   #107
gunnerxq
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenorange View Post
This is all quite new to me and this post actually opened my eyes.Thanks for sharing with us your wisdom.
What that something other then automatics existed? seriously I hope that's not it.
      02-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #108
335iaz
Cause their greeaaaaat!!!!

Drives: SBM E90 335i

Send a message via AIM to 335iaz
If you get a stick and your gf/wife doesn't know how to drive stick, you never have to worry about them taking your car lol
      02-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #109
gunnerxq
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iaz View Post
If you get a stick and your gf/wife doesn't know how to drive stick, you never have to worry about them taking your car lol
yea its especially good for divorces.
      02-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #110
e90sexion
E 9 0 S E X I O N

Drives: M3, Z4MC

driving manual takes 1 hour.
pros and cons will be only you can drive it in the family, well your dad might as well if you live with your parents
e90sexion is offline   Canada